Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Winter Rear… (warning – Tyres content)
  • vincienup
    Free Member

Afternoon!

I’m intending to ride this bike mostly in the Peaks and this is going on a hardtail.

I’m running a TrailBoss or Nic rear the rest of the year round. Previous winters on 26ers I’ve tended to run HR’s or Dampf PS’s over winter for the traction and clearing.

This is to go on a 29er: I had intended to just put a Vigilante out back also (I run one up front) but I’ve been wondering about a 2.3 Breakout instead.

Any thoughts between these two?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Not tried it, but breakout doesn’t look like it’ll clear mud very well.
    But then Dampf doesn’t clear well either, and if you were happy with that, then maybe it’ll be fine for you.

Northwind

Yeah, HD is a pretty low bar for a winter tyre tbh. Vigilante works pretty well, it’s a big spiky beast but fairly hard rubber so it does have its erratic moments but on soft stuff it’s very good. Far better than the HD or HR2 when things get messy. Not fast though… Haven’t used the breakout.

I’ll be on the trusty dhr2, it’s not super grippy but it clears reasonably and slides nicely and that makes a huge difference.

vincienup
    Free Member

Well, I already have a spare Vigilante so that’s decision made then!

TBH, I always found the Dampfs cleared well enough that a front guard was in order and it was a bad idea getting too close behind one without getting a facefull. Maybe just different consistency gloop? Or maybe I have exceptionally low standards ! 😆

Cheers guys, just wondered if it was worth ordering another tyre in before setting one up. I’ll leave the Breakouts for Spring. I’m very happy with Vigilante/Trailboss in the usual grippy/fast combos and tough casings but I’d just shied away from sticking a Vigilante out back as well before.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Used a Fat Albert on the rear on Sunday in very muddy conditions, was really impressed, far better than HD or HR2.

chrissyharding
    Free Member

Vigilante rear, magic Mary front for my winter set up. Here in Inverness area.

buckster
    Free Member

I have found that the Michelin Mud thingamys clear and deal with mud incredibly well

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Winter Rear… (warning – Tyres content)’ is closed to new replies.