Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Winter-proof new bike
  • solarider
    Free Member

OK, so I now live in Singapore where it never gets below 30 degrees any day of the year, but because of the heat and humidity, riding after dark and in the wet is common, and one day I will hopefully move back to Blighty where this will come in handy.

I wanted something uncomplicated, robust and simple.

Lynskey Pro 29er single speed
    Niner RDO fork with 15mm through axle
    Thomson kit
    SON Dynamo hub
    Super Nova Triple front light and rear LED
    Good old fashioned White Industries ENO chain set and Phil Wood bb

I really thought hard about the Lynskey on 2 counts. Firstly longevity and reputation for cracking, and secondly I wasn’t sure about the twisty tubes. In the end, the twisty tubes look better in the flesh, and they do seem to have sorted the quality recently and mine has the latest updates to the seat tube to reinforce it (a common source of cracking in the past).

I wanted titanium, but I didn’t want to blow Moots or Seven money on something made for getting filthy and not knowing how much use it will get, and the Lynskey was a great deal at CRC.

Impression so far? Having fitted dynamo lights to my wet weather road bike, I am a total convert, and run them day and night nowadays. Why not?! Reliable, amazingly bright and it is possible to thread the wires quite neatly around the frame. I have also built a standard front wheel, and the dynamo wires have quick releases, so I can just remove everything if I want to.

The ride is fantastically ‘direct’. Very stiff, silent and responsive. Just what I wanted.

The Thomson carbon flat bars are probably just a bit too wide as standard, so I might trim them, and I changed the standard silver Lynskey dropouts for black Paragon dropouts because I wanted a post mount brake.

1-shed
    Free Member

Your bike is too err god dam good, go and get dirty with it.

solarider
    Free Member

Massive thunder storm here right now. Riding at 6am tomorrow, and I can tell you it aint going to be clean for long!

rascal
    Free Member

That’s lovely.
    Even for a 29er.

solarider
    Free Member

Thanks. Being tall, a 29er looks ‘right’ for my size. Honestly, I still prefer the ride of a 26 inch bike, but you try and buy one nowadays!

PJ266
    Free Member

Classy build.

Very nice indeed, well done!

solarider
    Free Member

1st ride out today. 100% humidity, 36 degrees and muddy. I am a sweaty and muddy mess but have a very wide grin. Feels like being a kid again!

Stiff as a stiff thing. Perfect for the trails here, but I wouldn’t take it to the Lakes, Dales or Peaks. No nonsense silent singlespeed works great but I will be reaching for the ghost thumb shift for a while yet I think.

Think I will definitely trim the bars and drop the stem, but otherwise the geometry is spot on. Anybody else used them (Thomson XC Carbon)? They are seriously wide!

Not entirely sure about the Flite. I loved them back in the day, but things have moved on in terms of comfort and performance.

singlesteed
    Free Member

Am I missing something or did you not get the correct frame size…!?

solarider
    Free Member

Why so?

Lynskey do make a very exaggerated too tube slope for sure, but it is spot on for me. Perfect reach, headtube height and standover. The first shot was before I rode it properly, hence the extra spacer up front. Now removed.

rsvktm

Mines got a lot of post showing as well but as you say everything else is spot on, glad you like as I was one of the ones that recommended…
    Like the paragon sliders, tempted as would like to run a through axle. Only for ease of swapping wheels between bikes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Winter-proof new bike’ is closed to new replies.