Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Winter proof flat pedals
  • avdave2

What would you recommend for my off road commuter. I’m currently using the very cheap Wellgo pedals that came on a Boardman hardtail and strangely while they seem to offer enough grip in the wet and mud they become super slippery in dry dusty conditions. Priority is long lasting on a bike that gets wet and muddy twice a day through much of the year. I’m not worried about weight on this bike.

Thanks

icarus
    Free Member

At risk of offending the anti Superstar brigade i really recomend they’re Nano flats,great grip and they seem to be lasting ages.

mikey74
    Free Member

Spank Spikes

coastkid
    Free Member

I use the SS Nano flats for beach riding, a good pedal, mine get plenty of salt water action 🙂 and hold up pretty well. Replacement bearing kits are available too, but change them as soon as a bit of play as once the bearings seize the pedal body will wear and be goofed 😉

Slim Jim plastic platform flats are half the price of the alloy platform Nano`s on eBay and use the same axle kits, just got a pair so will see how long the plastic studs last grinding off rocks etc!

mcnultycop

Exotics are the same as SS Nano but a little cheaper.

I swear by them.

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

+1 for the nano’s. Use them for both on and off road and with a service once a year I’ve had 3 years happy trouble free running so far.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Exotics are the same as SS Nano but a little cheaper.

and the Kona Wah Wah, and the HT Industries (who actually make em), and Nukeproof if you want the same pedal for more money..

badbob
    Free Member

Shimano saints ( new ones)

avdave2

Thanks all

I’ll look at those Exotics, I’ve had stuff from them before and been very pleased with it.
    Any thoughts on the Wellgo V12 copy as a cheap option? It’s a bit of a contradiction this bike in that it’s got a nice 853 frame, expensive hubs at either end, Schmidt and Rohloff, and the cheapest parts or spares for finishing kit (even Bikehut bits 🙂 ) so I’m happy to buy the cheapest thing that will last a few winters with a bit of maintenance.

martymac

dmr v8?
    they will need to be serviced semi regularly, but there is a grease nipple for this purpose.
    mine are looking a bit worn, but ive had them 3 years and im a (really) heavy bloke.

cakefacesmallblock

Gusset Slim Jim’s. Had them on my Trance for 5 years now. They have the only bearings on the thing which haven’t needed changing yet. They do alu or mag ones, mine happen to be mag, but either way, pull’em apart once every 8 months or so, clean and grease them and good to go. I’ve often fancied something more “spangly” but meantime there’s no point, they just run and run.
    At least twice a week they handle all sorts of trail and odd big xc rides and our local trails are full of properly gloopy, grindy mud in winter. To be honest when they do give up the ghost I may well replace like for like.

avdave2

Thanks, I reckon either the dmr’s or the Slim Jims, can’t go wrong for that sort of money. I like the idea of grease ports, never tried them but always thought they were a great idea for mountain bikes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Winter proof flat pedals’ is closed to new replies.