Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Winter Mtb jacket
  • el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

Just wondering if anyone here can recommend a waterproof jacket for biking

I’ve looked at…

Endura Mt500 (a few reviews highlighting poor quality tapes seams)
    Altura 360 attack

Keen to hear thoughts on the above or any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance

eGn

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Gore Alp-X 2.0 (Gore-Tex)

Best MTB ive ever owned, very windproof, waterproof & breathable.

Nuff said.

shredder
    Free Member

Had the MT500
    Now have the Gore Alp-X 2.0 as above different league.

ibnchris

I’ve got a lightweight Rab jacket I wear. Not sure I like any of the mtb specific jackets out there…would just find the lightest weight waterproof you van and couple it with a decent ride jersey. Lightweight merino jerseys are good. I wear a Repack Berino, but I’m biased…

brickwizard
    Free Member

Montane Atomic Stretch. Got mine on offer from Merlin for £89
    Worth every penny

DickBarton

Depending on where you are in the country, Leckies in Falkirk are doing some Altura Varium jackets for £40 (instead of £130) – nice cut fit and seems to be waterproof but I’m not expecting to it to be totally waterproof. Certainly windproof.

ontor
    Free Member

montane minimus works well for me…

monkeychild
    Free Member

Dickbarton you are a legend!! Leckies deliver so ordered one of those jackets. Absolute bargain!! Thanks for that heads up.

richen987
    Free Member

Yup Gore alp x 2 , been using it all winter commuting and riding, no signs of wear and really waterproof and breathable.
    Great jacket

excitable1
    Free Member

I had the MT500 and true to form it fell apart at the seams

In it’s defence though it is extremely hard wearing and can sustain scuffs and scrapes and a reasonable fall.

I then went for the Alp X and yes the difference in waterproofing, breathability and weight is poles apart from the MT500. You can also fold it up small and stow it in your pack. Down side is that it will tear on a fall but you can get Goretex repairs at a couple of places for between £30 and £50.

I ran my Alp X into the ground. Couldn’t get the stink out and the waterproofing to take again. Never one to miss a bargain I bought a Mavic coat as a replacement for a bloody good price and because it had some yellow flashes to match one of my bikes 😳 …. I think I look look good but I’m nowhere near as dry or warm as I was in the Alp X…Lesson learnt 🙄 !!!

I think you know what to do.

loddrik
    Free Member

Got a Paramo Cuzco, waterproof, warm, soft and absolutely not boil on the bag. Best biking jacket I’ve had by far. Won’t buy another ‘shell’ jacket ever again. Have tried high end MTB jackets and they just don’t compare.

benp1

Don’t you find the Paramo stuff too warm?

I have a third element I thought about using but figured I’ve be sweating no end

Garry_Lager

The altura attack jacket is good for its price range.
    I’m pretty much through with MTB-specific waterproof jackets though – Like ibnchris says above the answer for me is a good softshell for general winter riding, plus a foldable waterproof in the back pocket if it starts to seriously tip it down.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Winter Mtb jacket’ is closed to new replies.