Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Winter MTB gloves recommendation…
  • pies
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend some good winter gloves please?
    I get very cold hands, not worried about price, just want a decent pair.

birdl123
    Free Member

Gore windstopper thermo gloves.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Padded or non padded? Waterproof or not, lots to look at depending on exactly what you want really. Have a read: http://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-tests/the-best-winter-cycling-gloves-6216

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scc999

I too get really cold hands (and feet). Here are some suggestions.

Try lots of different pairs on in shops. Look for seams that will rub and cause blisters on a long wet day out.
    Consider seperate liner gloves. Some love silk ones, I use really thin stertchy fleece.
    Winter gloves often have sewn in “liners”. When your hands are damp (through rain or sweat) they can easily pull out when you take them off and make it impossible to put back on quickly – so make sure that they are fully attached to prevent this or accept that once you take them off, that’s it.
    This brings me on to; carry multiple pairs. Nothing beats putting on a dry pair of gloves when your hands are cold! Get them warmed up, pop on dry gloves and life is good! Until they get cold or wet again, but life’s like that!

I picked up some neoprene cycling gloves in Aldi recently, going to give them a go when it gets cold. They were a tenner so if they don’t work I”ve not lost much.

I do have a pair of bulkier winter gloves (not expensive or well known brand) that are great as long as it’s not lashing down, if they get soaked through they are less great!

Hope some of that is of use!

Si

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you don’t care if your hands get too hot and smell like a wet dog, glacier perfect curve are the baws.

If you do care about the smell, but don’t care what you look like, pogies.

wwaswas

Do not get gloves with a floating liner.

You will have slightly clammy hands on a cold, wet day and get a mechanical. As you remove the gloves the liner will invert and you *will not* be able to get your hand back in.

Try and pull the lining out in the shop. If the ends of the fingers are not physically stitched all the way through to the liner (yes I know it makes them potentially less waterproof) do not buy them.

I’ve had too many rides ruined fannying about with crap glove liners.

pies
    Free Member

Interesting that all of those gloves tested scored 9, doesn’t really help my decision making though!

submarined
    Free Member

If anyone pops up on this thread to tell you 100% Briskers are good, ignore them. They probably have amazing circulation and a high internal body temp.They’re fine in mid autumn temperatures. With liners. When it gets actually cold, they’re crap.
    I’ve got some Galibier Deep Winters which are OK down to 0c ish on the road the moment with silk liners. Better on MTB due to lower speeds, but they are pretty thick on the palm, which I’m not the biggest fan of.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I agree with Submarined.

I own a couple of pairs of Briskers, they are great for commuting or Park stuff, but when its proper cold they don’t cut it.

I use snowboarding gloves for commuting when its proper cold.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sealskinz Ultra Grip gloves are my new favourites.

Very tactile, superb waterproofing and cosy down to about freezing.

I have some bulkier gloves for colder temps, but then the feel on the handlebar starts to get compromised.

qwerty
    Free Member

Probably not for MTB, but these are now £8 @ PlanetX – they were “£29.99” then £15, i brought them for commuting @ £10 & they’re now eight pounds. They are toasty.

Did i say…. £8.00!!!

mikey74
    Free Member

I use Endura Dexter, but they may not be warm enough for you. They are mainly windproof, which goes a long way I find.

legend
    Free Member

submarined – Member

If anyone pops up on this thread to tell you 100% Briskers are good, ignore them

If you want to keep riding the same trails you do in summer then the likes of Briskers and Fox Sidewinder Polars are perfect. Stuff wearing some multi-layer ski glove like thing when trying to ride anything steep/technical

footstomper
    Free Member

I too suffer from bad circulation & have tried lots of different gloves & not found one yet that delivers on really cold days 🙁

What I have learned is to make sure my hands are toastie when setting off on an cold ride; to this end I bought a cheap hairdryer and use it to warm up the inside of my gloves before putting them on, it has worked so far 😀

Yak

Briskers for down to zero. Below that I have a very old pair of altura ‘proper’ winter gloves – waterproof, warm, but bulky. Hence I hold off for a long as possible before using them. I’ll have overshoes on before I resort to the alturas.

Northwind

For real cold, Glacier Gloves Perfect Curves- they’re neoprene so they’re squishy and odd, they’re unbreathable so they’re horrendous if it’s not cold enough for them, and they quickly smell like a small animal’s died in them. But they keep me warm and comfy when no other gloves I’ve tried come close. They’re also 100% waterproof which is actually kind of useful sometimes

Briskers and Sidewinder Polars just about do me in autumn, they’re useless for me when it’s actually cold.

ebennett

Briskers for down to zero. Below that I have a very old pair of altura ‘proper’ winter gloves

Same combo for me, and I’d second legend’s point that the thick Alturas are a bit rubbish to wear for proper off-road stuff, they mostly get used for commuting. I find the Briskers really good and I’ve got pretty crap circulation.

swanny853

I would never have looked at Gore because of the price. Found some going cheap when my LBS was having a clearout and bought one windproof pair and one waterproof.

I would very seriously now consider paying the £60 or so they cost normally.

Non-waterproof ones are very breathable, sufficiently so that unless you stop just after a massive hill and take them off immediately, the cold damp feeling of putting them back on is pretty much a thing of the past. Hands tend to stay warmer as a result.

The waterproof equivalents are less breathable but still miles ahead of my last pair of enduras that claimed to be waterproof, which they weren’t, and got incredibly sweaty while also suffering from liner syndrome.

They are also very waterproof. A full day out in the peeing rain and high winds at afan in february and I still had warm dry hands at the end.

Not sure exactly what model I’m afraid, not even sure they make them anymore.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of Decathlon pairs, one is I think the 700 which is toasty (fleecy inner, fleecy/softshell windstopper outer) , the other is the 900 with a zipped vent on the back which is great if/when it snows or in the rain.

I never got on with separate liners, they were always a faff, prefered to just have thicker gloves as a pair of glove big enough to wear with liners, is too big anyway without them.

submarined
    Free Member

If you want to keep riding the same trails you do in summer then the likes of Briskers and Fox Sidewinder Polars are perfect. Stuff wearing some multi-layer ski glove like thing when trying to ride anything steep/technical

That’s not true for me unfortunately. Briskers with liners still don’t provide enough warmth to stop my hands going numb in low single figures. And I know from posts on here I’m not alone.
    It’s better to have a bit of chunky insulation and feeling in my hands than no feeling at all because my fingers are white.
    I’m still riding all the blacks at Stile Cop with my furry gloves.

benp1

@qwerty – tell me more about the lobster gloves, I need another pair. I lost my better pair and my other pair have little inner gloves things built in which are really annoying

Do they have any form of individually fingered inner?

elwoodblues
    Free Member

Gripgrab Polaris or Nordic…

We Danes know something about cold weather… 🙂

Get Them from Ze Germans, I use a size XL, and I find they are pretty true to size…

StirlingCrispin

Northface Pamir gloves. Made out of Gore Windstopper fabric with a microfleecy type liner.

I get cold hands and can wear these to below freezing. Not bulky either.
    Would buy another pair in a flash. About £30 or so.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Find whatever the mtb equivalent in the Gore range of the ‘Power’ Windstopper glove is and get that. So good i got another pair in a different colour after a few weeks.
    Add the gore universal liner glove for sub zero rides

sweepy
    Free Member

I must be the only **** here that gets numb fingers in the glacier gloves. I use mine for swimming now, sometimes canoeing.
    I love a pogie, warm and you just take your hand out for full dexterity. I wear them long before I really need to temp wise just for the comfort and convenience.

qwerty
    Free Member

Do they have any form of individually fingered inner?

Yes, a thin inner divider between fingers.

I have the yellow ones, they’re like indicators on your hands.

roger_mellie

I have a pair of Specialized Element 1.5 which are fine for me for any winter wide (and I get cold hands) but then I am in sub tropical Wiltshire (-:
    Spesh do some warmer versions of the Element. see here
    The windstopper fabric in them does a great job of preventing wind chill, without getting a sweaty mess like some Aldi gloves I had before.
    Hope that helps.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

No mention of Aldi gloves yet? By far the best proper winter gloves and £5.99 or something

scc999

I tried Aldi wonter gloves, and the ones I got had iners that pulled out when you took them off, meaning they were useless for me.

Si

downshep

Waterproof ski gloves from TK Maxx or Decathlon. Designed for holding a grip in cold wet conditions. Many have snot wipe patches too.

Lomo and Decathlon also do neoprene gloves for less extreme conditions.

chakaping
    Free Member

Aldi gloves are OK but there are less bulky, warmer options.

survivor

Be cheap like me and put on a pair of the latex/non latex workshop gloves under your normal riding gloves. Works surprisingly well.

aP
    Free Member

I get badly affected by the cold so have tried numerous different gloves [sighs].
    For very cold, and dry (at least not p-ing it down) the best are my old Cannondale penguin gauntlets – bright yellow thick outer with a removable fleece liner. Look a bit special, but work so well.
    Currently I’m using a combination of different gloves depending upon the conditions – assos, rapha, Hestra, Sealskins (now that they have sewn in finger ends), pearlizumi etc.
    But as said above – if they finger ends aren’t sewn in then take a spare pair to change into otherwise you’ll curse and struggle and want to kill someone. Now I have my nice new denim missgrape/ pedalEd top tube bag I can put stuff like that in it 🙂

fooman

On the Aldi gloves, I’ve been using their £4.99 winter ski gloves, warm enough down to zero but as mentioned above I have to be a little careful pulling hands out not to turn them inside out.

I’ve recently got the Aldi winter cycling gloves which are as warm but they have smooth fabric on the fingers so fingers slip on the brake controls etc so I went back to the ski gloves which have rubberised material.

I also tried their neoprene but found them not as warm, similar warmth to the Altura Zeros I have, ok for 5-10 degrees. I also use Sealskins in these temps. I don’t use the Zeros so much, they cost a fair bit, are not that warm and I feel bad if I get them muddy.

Might try riding in some fleecy lined waterproof builders gloves I had they were super cozy, all in one construction so no liner to pull out, plenty of grip. Last year someone recommended a fleece lined neoprene glove used by window washers, forget what it was called, but I found it too stiff to ride in.

snotrag

I run pretty cold so i know the problem.

In my experience I would not reccomend pretty much any of the increasingly large/bulky/multi layered gloves mentioned above, including ski gloves, etc. A Glove designed to hold a ski pole doesnt work for holding a grip, braking, gear shifitng etc.

By far the biggest success I’ve had is using Neoprene. Yes they are sweaty and a bit gimpy. But your hands will be sweaty and WARM.

I have Endura FS260 Neoprene, there are others available too.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Winter MTB gloves recommendation…’ is closed to new replies.