Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Winter mountaineering schools In Scotland, can anyone recommend one?
  • Special_ized_Jamie

I remember reading about a mountaineering school in Scotland that is meant to be particularly good however for the life of me i can't remember which one it is.

Its specifically for winter climbing. Any recommendations?

Pieface

No Idea but when i was into it there was a good introductory course called the 'Johnny Conville' IIRC.

Glenmore lodge is an outward bound in the cairngorms, no idea if its any goos

kevonakona
    Free Member

Glenmore lodge

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotabroad

Glenmore lodge +1

The ice factor at Kinlochleven might also do courses.

kennyp
    Free Member

Glenmore Lodge.

Smee
    Free Member

Glenmore Lodge is not an Outward Bound it's the Scottish National Outdoor Training Centre. You may be cheaper just hiring a mountain guide to teach you what you want to know though.

mattsccm
    Free Member

The Lodge the hill equivalent of something very good in cycling. Possibly as good as anywhere in the world. Failing that buy a climbing mag or ask on UKClimbing

geoffj

Plas y Brenin runs a winter school from somewhere near Ballachulish.

http://www.pyb.co.uk/courses/scottish-winter.php

beinbhan

I did a winter climbing course wit Alan Kimber a few years ago very good I wasn't a novice but pushed my skills and confidence level up quite a few grades

flip
    Free Member

Alan Kimber is a total legend, i've been on one of his winter climbing courses it was superb, you can stay at his place too its very nice accomodation.

Home

feenster
    Free Member

Geln More Lodge.

organic355
    Free Member

Ancrum, but not sure they will be still running courses after that incident at Dunkeld!

dab

organic,

most OE Centres have their fair share of incidents, the likes of Glenmore have just as many, it's just the courier seem to take great delight in having a pop at them.

Ancrum will come through this and you'll see them vindicated

ALA assesments are always very favourable and they are held in high regard for the sterling work they do

funkynick

Glenmore Lodge is one of the best, and most popular and possibly the most expensive (I've not checked for a while though)…

Still not cheap, but I did a course a few years ago with Martin Moran up in Strathcarron, and it was very good indeed. Loved every minute of it even when we got blown off Bla Bheinn… it was interesting seeing an instructor being lifted away from the crag by the wind!

footflaps

Glenmore Lodge is cheaper than most schools as the taxpayer subsidises it. It also has the highest qualified staff (UIAGM Guides, rather than MIA/MIC).

Highly recommend the place…

amosridl
    Free Member

Abacus?

Mike's a nice guy.

http://www.abacusmountaineering.com/

GlenMore
    Free Member

Another vote for Glenmore Lodge. Great staff, great facilities and the most likely to have the sort of conditions you'll need.

eldridge
    Free Member

Glenmore Lodge

they taught me to ski on piste

then they taught me ski mountaineering

mind you, this was back in the day of proper winters in Scotland

Just like today, in fact!

lowey

Nevis Guides are a good lot. Based at Roy Bridge.

montylikesbeer

2nd Martin Moran, top bloke

organic355
    Free Member

dab I wasnt having a pop at Ancrum, as I live locally and have used them on several occasions for biking courses, kayaking & navigation.

Hope they dont suffer as a result of that accident.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Winter mountaineering schools In Scotland, can anyone recommend one?’ is closed to new replies.