Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Winter motivation
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

How does everyone get about being motivated to ride at the mo? I’m really struggling to get out on the roady, don’t do mtb anymore, and I know a lot of you will go ‘there’s your problem’ but it’s not. I just cannot get the motivation to go out, the getting ready, riding the same routes and I’m just struggling. Any tips!?

simondbarnes

Try some different routes? Ride through the winter and you’ll be in much better shape once the warm weather returns 🙂

zippykona

You are suffering from a lack of new bits. Buy some stupidly cheap,stupidly bright lights and enjoy your trails in the dark.
    Edit, you don’t mtb anymore. Buy an MTB.
    Edit edit. Buy a turbo. That will inspire you to ride your bike. Anything is better than sitting in a cold shed watching the second hand go round a clock in slow motion.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You’ve just got to push on through. Thankfully I’ve done it for so long that I know it’s always worth going cycling. Especially when it’s windy. Always pick a loop that’ll guarantee you tailwind out and back. I’ve got one; no better feeling than cycling back home at 40mph.

Northwind

Yup, variety. If you’re doing the same thing it’ll tend to feel better or worse, if you do something else it’ll feel different.

(new parts works too, I just took my bike out in the rain intentionally to find out how the new front tyre works in ankle deep mud)

allfankledup

Cycle with other folk – join a club, or see who goes out and when and tag along with them – or get a mate to drag you out, it is easier to get out of the door if you are expected to show up.

caspian
    Free Member

Running will help you appreciate cycling.

Processing service orders on a Sunday will help you appreciate running.

Works for me.

boxelder

SS
    Waterproof shorts

allfankledup

Oh- another thing, my mrs is training for the Highland Fling next year (with a trail marathon in Feb in Grizedale as a precursor). She is out running in all weathers and pretty much kicks me out of the door to get out on my bike..

Do you have any external motivation available to you ?

thecaptain
    Free Member

Do other stuff – running (on or off-road), swimming, road cycling, gym. There are a fair few events of different types over the winter to keep you interested.

ferrals
    Free Member

start racing or enter some kind of event/sportive(yeeuck)so you have a reason to be riding even if its only to get fitter. A lot of the time I wouldn’t bother if I wasn’t trying to get fitter to race better

mrblobby
    Free Member

Go racing. The aim of not being shit is usually enough to get me out on the bike. Having a plan helps too so it becomes less of a choice.

simmy
    Free Member

Im the same, I really CBA in the winter so I’ve set the road bike up permently on the turbo in the spare bedroom. Everytime I look at it its like that rubbish car that always followed the lads on Top Gear when they were on missions which they would end up in if there’s broke 😀

I do use it though, especially for a fast 15 mins after work but to stay on it is just mind numbing.

I go to the gym 3-4 times a week, just started the occasional jog as well which both remind me how good cycling is.

Just wrap up and get out there.

KungFuPanda
    Free Member

Just think of how fat, unfit and lazy you’ll get if you don’t get out on the bike. And then none of your clothes will fit you any more either.

Andy-R

I’m going to have to face this very same problem in just over a week – I’ve spent most of the last five months in Greece, where there is some lovely technical riding and the thought of going back to the wet, wind and greyness that is the
    Isle of Man in winter is almost too depressing to think about.
    Trust me, if we didn’t have other people (parents, kids) to consider then we’d not be leaving.
    But I suppose I’ll just get on with it, same as always….

beano68
    Free Member

I’ve gone back to running again, 50km a week will keep stop me getting fatter with chrimbo and over the winter period, but will be still using the bike now and again but I won’t be in that much of a rush to get back on it now I’m running again.

chakaping
    Free Member

Just got in from a windy, dark road ride after about 3 months of purely MTB.

Wrapped up nice and snug, I absolutely loved pottering around the lanes at dusk – just a quick wipe of the chain, re-lube and a shower when I got in.

Need to get more hills in though, I’m pretty rusty when it comes to taking them at pace. Or maybe I’d just forgotten how much it hurts.

hugo
    Free Member

It’s (almost) always fun when you’re out on a ride.

It’s the first 50m that’s the challenge. Just force yourself, or do it in a group and give in to peer pressure!

takisawa2

Go Outdoors.
    With about £492.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Make plans with other people.

I actually have the reverse problem summer is where i struggle to be arsed.

bubs

I use winter to scope out “hidden” trails and new trails = motivation. It is so much easier to find stuff when there is little foliage and muddy tracks to follow….obviously not something you can really do on a road bike though. I actually enjoy the differences and challenges each season brings to riding and I just appreciate the chance to get out.

swanny853

A few years back I was mostly roadying and in the same position- started picking random towns a half decent ride away, ideally with a nice cafe, and just belted it there as quickly as I could. Somehow seemed easier to plan than trying to figure out a nice loop. Once I got there it was up to me if the fast or long way home was more appealing- usually the long by that point. You just need some aim in mind to get you down the road

hjghg5
    Free Member

The cross bike seems to be the answer for me at the moment. Have been out on it the last two weekends.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

you want someone or something to motivate you?

<holds up mirror>

ac282

I recently discovered cafe network on Google maps. It’s a good way of finding new places for a cake stop.

julzm
    Free Member

Spin class as a reminder of the post ride buzz?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Race cross and be hell bent on getting the best league placing you’re capable of, it makes me ride and run during the week to try and get fitter and maybe get into the top 30 one day

jam-bo

have kids.

if you get the opportunity to get out for a ride, you take it no matter what the weather is doing.

mtbfix

Gnarmac is the new mistress to my mtb wife. It avoids the slop and the slog and I can piece together a good loop of little used lanes and tracks to make a fun ride with a bit of sketchiness but not come home clarted on a bike that needs a strip and service every week.

squin
    Free Member

Last week I made a spur of the moment decision to ride c2c in 2 days. Done no riding at all this year but a mate also decided he was coming along. We rode Whitehaven to Sunderland on Wed and Thursday last week in really horrible conditions.

It killed me but we made it, had a laugh and achieved something.

So, my advice is:
    Pick adventurous things, ride with people who you don’t want to let down and bollocks to the weather…storm Abigail couldn’t stop us!

smatkins1
    Free Member

don’t do mtb anymore

Perhaps its time to rekindle this fire.

iainc

have kids. get ill, such that you’re not able to ride, then get a bit better, then……

if you get the opportunity to get out for a ride, you take it no matter what the weather is doing.

beej

All good advice and I’m only really posting as I might have December off and will need some ideas!

fasthaggis

It’s never as bad as you think it will be.
    Once you get out the door(the hardest part) and get past that first mile or two it changes.Even on the shityist nights,I can honestly say,I have never got back wishing I had stayed in.
    As people have said,joining a club or getting some mates to go out with makes it easier.

scaredypants

Aren’t you the guy who was really down a week or two ago ?

Never mind the biking, did you find anyone to talk through your general stuff with ?

How’s that all going ?

(getting out on a bike will help but maybe you need a bit more help still)

TiRed

Commuting and not having a car helps 😉 . That and winter circuit racing is a lot more fun than a turbo trainer. Try a Cyclocross race. Seriously. Different perspective and huge fun. You can enter any on the day and ride whatever you want.

Went out for 50km on the trike in the rain yesterday because I had a wrist op on Wednesday. Missing a good SS thrash in the mud, but it was a nice endurance ride with good cake.

v666ern
    Free Member

have kids. get ill, such that you’re not able to ride, then get a bit better, then……

+1 or do your back in. I would literally bite ANYTHING off now to be able to get out on the bike 40mph winds/rain don’t care I’m going stir crazy here 👿

lunge

For me it is simply taking a picture of myself in the mirror wearing not very much and thinking “you fat git, you need to sort yourself out”.

The other option is to enter yourself into a challenge in spring next year. that’ll give you something to train for.

Or simply, just don’t ride your bike. It’s not your job, so don’t. You’ll get back to it eventually, and if you don’t, well, it’s no problem anyway.

will
    Free Member

So good tips here. For me, I love winter, yes it’s cold and sometimes grim, but on those crisp days, big blue sky, there is nothing better than cycling down a deserted country lane.

Having a proper winter bike helps. Full mudguards are a must. You’ll enjoy getting it muddy. Unlike the best bike, which I hate getting muddy. You also don’t have to clean it after every ride, so that cuts down on post ride faff.

Good winter clothes are essential. Without that any ride will be miserable and cold. I blogged on this very subject last winter: http://ridingcircle.blogspot.com/2014/12/because-winter-is-hard-enough-what.html

Set yourself a challenge. The 500 mile a month thread here is a good start. Sign-up to a few strava challenges, that will also help

Find a few routes with a good cafe stop. Essential in winter

As other shave said, Cyclocross is huge fun and mixes your riding up abit.

Enjoy your next ride, take some pictures, and look back at how fun it was, you never regret any ride you go on.

rocketman
    Free Member

a) Buy something preferably a new bike
    b) refuse to acknowledge winter. DO NOT wear trousers, overshoes, arctic explorer jacket and/or astronaut gloves. Thin but effective base layers are permitted under your normal summer kit
    c) Mudguards are not permitted under any circumstances

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Winter motivation’ is closed to new replies.