Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Winter layering
  • craig24
    Free Member

Ok so my first winter on the mtb. I’ve read lots about layering systems, does this sound like it will do the job throughout the winter?

Long sleeved base layer
    Tech t shirt / jersey
    Fleece
    Waterproof

If not what should I be looking at? And any suggestions on good mid range items for the above?

slowjo
    Free Member

Don’t forget your hands.

I have always found silk glove liners work really well. About a tenner a pair in climbing or outdoor shops.

Yak

Sounds a bit hot. I would swap the fleece for a long-sleeved jersey.
    On a dry day, a cheap windproof gilet can be much comfier than a jacket too.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I find this time of year harder than winter.

Winter for me (less than zero) is – Skull Cap, Shortsleeved wicking top, Gore Tex jacket with pit zips, fleece lined bib tights, Lidl winter gloves, M&S Merino wool socks.

I would boil if I put half the stuff on your suggesting

mrblobby
    Free Member

Depends what you’re doing. Long hard XC rides or just messing about in the woods a bit…?

stumpy01

Yak – Member

Sounds a bit hot. I would swap the fleece for a long-sleeved jersey.

I’d agree with this.
    On the mountain bike, I find that a long sleeve base layer & windproof jersey are often all you need through a lot of the winter – although that will depend on where you live & how exposed your rides are.

I’ll quite often start the ride with a shell/waterproof layer on & then that gets stuck in my bag for the rest of the ride once I’ve warmed up.

Feet & hands are often the bits that start to get properly cold, so consider how you will keep them warm too.

kcr
    Free Member

I think you’ll cook with that lot!
    Don’t worry too much about it. Synthetic base layer to avoid wet clothing next to your skin and then just put whatever feels comfortable on top to stay warm. I think the shiny Helly Hansen base layers are great value (have a couple that must be 15+ years old, still going strong). For the other stuff, it’s all pretty effective now, and you don’t need to spend loads of money to get good gear. If it’s not raining, thermal, rather than waterproof gear will be more comfortable.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Sounds odd but I always underdo it in the cold, hate burning up. Just make sure my hands and feet are okay and generally i’m toasty.

whitestone
    Free Member

You might be boiling in all that! 😮

The right idea though. The basic strategy is to be flexible so you can add layers as and when you need them to match the conditions: a sheltered climb might only require the base layer but you’d stop at or just before the top to put a windproof on. Generally you want just enough on whilst moving to avoid sweating. Definitely worth adding some form of head covering such as a buff. A buff can also be used as a scarf which can help keep a lot of heat in.

I always take a spare base layer as well as having a change ready back at the car as I cool down very rapidly if I’ve been sweating. I used to do a lot of winter climbing and we’d stop near the base of the climb and change clothes as we’d have been sweating on the walk-in. It takes a bit of nerve to strip off in the middle of a snow storm but a couple of minutes discomfort meant that we didn’t get as chilled when on the climb.

A lot depends on how your body deals with the cold so what works for me might not be best for you. Worth doing a bit of experimentation.

scaled
    Free Member

For winter a windproof gilet is my go to item of clothing. Whack that on over a LS base layer + my TLD elbow pads and i’m plenty toasty enough upstairs.

on one thicky merino socks, aldi thermal compression tights and RF kneepads and downstairs is plenty warm enough.

I don’t really suffer with cold legs but the tights keep the worst of the muck off my legs for the pub stop afterwards 😀

traildog
    Free Member

Feet are generally the things that suffer the most. What sort of shoes do you use? Too thick socks can restrict blood flow. Winter boots are the best bet but expensive.
    As others have said, a fleece is usually too much. Just double up a jersey if it’s properly cold.

elliptic
    Free Member

+1 to all the above. So long as you’re properly windproofed and not soaking wet, its surprising how little insulation you need while you’re active. If you feel a bit chilly standing around in the carpark then you’ll warm up after 10/15 mins riding and be just right.

Conversely, wearing too much => overheating => inner layers damp and clammy with sweat => you’ll chill very rapidly when you stop.

My usual system is a light shell outer (maybe softshell) with longsleeve baselayer and maybe a light jersey underneath. Then carry extra insulation for when you stop, ideally something you can put on over the top eg insulated gilet.

Also, when its properly cold make sure your neck and wrists are well covered (buff, long sleeves + gloves with good long cuffs) as your body is particularly sensitive to cold spots there and will switch off circulation to hands/feet in response.

pictonroad

that list makes me feel queasy, riding mountain bikes is officially the hottest thing you can do. Base layer and brightly coloured polyester branded jersey if it’s below 5deg. Just the jersey if its above. It’s not like on the road.

chakaping
    Free Member

Two layers usually fine for me.

Three if very cold or super-windy, like Helvellyn on Saturday.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I don’t get above two layers generally, unless is below zero or wind chill is harsh.

I used to wear merino base layer and a windproof, but generally I find I’m less clammy and more comfortable with a thin synthetic base layer and a thin merino base layer of the top. (And then a wind proof) Best of both worlds that way.

From there, more layers as required. As per elliptic – wrists, neck and head need some attention.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Wow. I guess I’m lucky, I run very hot. I wear shorts all year round, and in winter a base layer and a long sleeve top over. Anything else has me stopping after 10 minutes to de-layer.

nemesis
    Free Member

All the advice above is good but it depends so much on you – some people ride all winter in shorts and short sleeves, others wear so many layers it’s hard to see a person underneath.

Flexibility is key though – base layer, warmer mid layer and jacket(s) that keep the wind and maybe rain off.

If you sweat lots, it may be worth giving up waterproofness for windproof but more breathable or better insulated.

For me

– merino s/s t-shirt as a base layer
    – thermal l/s top
    – fleece jacket/windproof jacket

plus thermal tights, bib shorts, seal skinz socks for lower half

and then finally winter gloves (two options depending how cold), a skullcap and a buff for my neck/lower face if really cold (gets down to -5 around here in the winter as it’s pretty isolated)

craig24
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice. I’ve already got a long sleeve base layer and shot sleeve tops so just need a windproof jacket and I’m done I think.

Any suggestions on windproof jacket around £40?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Depends what sort of look you are going for 🙂

DHB do a soft-shell windproof here for not much more than that. Though I tend to prefer a roubaix jersey and a gilet.

40mpg

Aldi/Lidl soft shell jackets when they appear. £16 for all the winter comfort you’ll need (over a long sleeve base layer).

If it rains, go to the pub 😀

Edit – slight hijack but any recommendations for a gilet? Pulled the tag off the zip on my ancient Aldi one the other day.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve got a Gore one like this one which is great. Otherwise, from your post, I guess Lidl or Aldi?

Clover

I think my endura pack a gilet was £35. Love it. Find full jackets too hot.

matt_outandabout

Where in winter?
    Chipping Norton or Aviemore, and for how long do you ride?

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Don’t forget, its not just “when riding”
    When riding, most of winter I will go shorts, waterproof socks, base layer and jersey, warm gloves often loosing the base layer once warm.
    If its windy and wet a shell will probably go on, but my “core” & legs rarely get cold.

What really will make the difference is, what happens when you stop, for eating, waiting for others or in the event of a mechanical/accident. Or are your rides a continuous non-stop affair.

No doom an gloom but, depending on where you ride, if your like me and only have what you “need” for riding and have to stop for whatever reason you may get very cold very quickly, if its an accident then this could quickly be trouble.

In my pack I carry a silver foil blanket for emergencies (me or someone else), and in winter will often have one of the small packable down jackets for when i/we stop for any length of time.

The number of times I’ve been glad of the down jacket, I’ve lost count.

whitestone
    Free Member

One option not mentioned so far (or I’ve not seen it) is Buffalo. Very useful on wet and windy days though I really wouldn’t want to head up a long climb wearing one!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Buffalo comes out on the bike when its about -15 and the ice climbing mitts are on.

Prior to -15 its – long merino with roubaix jacket for dry cold , or long merino and an endura stealth if its wet.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Winter layering’ is closed to new replies.