Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Winter jacket for the road
  • backinireland
    Free Member

Out today, merino base layer, jersey and a waterproof.
    Of course when I got back I was wet with sweat so looking at something more breathable as an alternative.
    Not really wanting to pay gabba money, any suggestions?

iainc

Gabba on sale at just over £100 online the other week. I like mine down to about 5 deg with a Craft baselayer. If colder, Sportful Fiandre NoRain is ideal – same idea as Gabba, but heavier and warmer.

cloudnine
    Free Member

LS gabba is brilliant.. Windproof, more or less water proof, nice fitting and comfortable. Its nice going for a ride and not worrying about If its going to rain.. Got caught in a torrential 10 minute hail and rain shower this morning and kept me warm and dry.

edhornby

IME a good waterproof gilet is great for everything but torrential. If its really bad then a full jacket and put up with sweatiness

mrblobby
    Free Member

Was out today for around 50 miles in just a casteli mesh base and a sportful R&D wind jersey. This one…

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-r-d-long-sleeve-wind-jersey-aw14/

Really am surprised at how well this jersey works in these sorts of conditions. Doesn’t seem to get too hot or cold in a pretty wide range of temps. Decent wind protection. Seems to cope well with showers too. Doesn’t repel water but doesn’t seem to get cold and clammy when wet. Don’t seem to boil in it either even when working quite hard. Prefer it to the Gabba on days like this.

dpfr

Stolen Goat Climb & Conquer jacket is the biz. I’ve used mine loads this winter- wet/dry; 2 degrees/10 degrees- it’s coped fine with everything. I just wear a baselayer underneath- a thermal one for below 5 degrees; a lighter one above. When I am riding I don’t notice I am wearing it at all.

backinireland
    Free Member
    Suggsey
    Free Member

Berghaus Vapour Storm jacket, performed exceptionally well (best jacket so far by a long way) exceedingly waterproof, has a hood that if you helmets the right shape will go over your head and gas side venting gills and slashes on the back. £99. If it’s roadie style you want over waterproof breath ability then this is definitely not your jacket 😆

djflexure

IMO Gabba is more of a midlayer than outerwear in this sort of weather. Benefits from having no bulk to retain water (I commute in one). On the outside I tend to wear a hardshell – Gore Oxygen. The hardshell offers much more protection. I do however get wet inside but not cold.

Soft shells work also – rode in one last weekend (70 miles) when it was drizzling. They do get saturated after a while if its raining and I always feel like I’m taking a calculated risk on it not being too wet or too cold.

iainc

conversely, I find the big benefit of the Gabba is that unless its below 5 degrees or really persistent rain/long duration, it works brilliantly over just a baselayer and with no outer shell to trap moisture,you stay warm and dry.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Might wear it for a short sharp ride, but Gabba’s a bit too chilly for me when it’s that cold out.

iainc

The Sportful Fiandre NoRain is IMO a colder weather Gabba.

here

I have both and when it’s below 5 degrees the Sportful is ideal, much above 7 degrees and it’s too warm

alanf
    Free Member

I picked up the Sportful Fiandre no rain jacket recently and have used it a couple of times. One very cold ride (~1 degree) with a full covering of snow and rain/sleet and windy and it kept me dry and warm. The second being this morning in heavy rain and winds and again kept me warm and dry.
    It’s perfect for what I want.

TiRed

When it is seriously wet, a proper waterproof outer and jersey beats everything. You will get damp, but not soaked. I have the ubiquitous Gabba-like jacket for most conditions, but my Mavic H2O taped seam waterproof outer is what keeps the elements out when it turns really nasty.

Pertex shells tend to be not waterproof enough, or too hot for windproof. Gilets or jerseys with a windproof front are excellent.

dragon
    Free Member

Sportful Fiandre NoRain +1

Love mine, I don’t bother with a waterproof anymore. Sure in very heavy rain you get a bit damp, but provided you are moving you don’t get cold due to it being windproof. (Mine gets used for commuting/road, I’m not sure I’d use it for mtbing TBH)

OP if you get the right bit of kit then paying a decent amount is well worth it IMO. Unless you crash damage stuff, you should get 10 years out of a decent jacket, so £100 doesn’t work out too badly.

ransos
    Free Member

When it is seriously wet, a proper waterproof outer and jersey beats everything. You will get damp, but not soaked

This. Yesterday, I wore a Gore Active shell over a Bieme Roubaix-type jersey, and a compression vest. I got a bit damp with sweat on my back, but that was from my not-very-breathable Planet X bib longs – the rest of my torso was fine.

molgrips
    Free Member

I picked up a Louis Ganeau Enerblock 2 at Christmas. If you can live with the stupid name and brand that sounds like it should be makeup, it’s superb for £60. Traditional rear pockets plus two zip front ones and an arm one. Snug but stretch fit, availble in medium-viz-but-stylish red. Love mine.

But yes – when you have to leave the house in heavy cold rain, nothing beats a real waterproof. And trousers too if its that bad – yes, I said it. I have done 50 mile road rides on a road bike in waterproof trousers. And been toasty.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Winter jacket for the road’ is closed to new replies.