Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Winter hobby
  • theotherjonv

some kind of Bootcamp – BMF are the obvious one but there are others in any area, I use https://www.bcuk.uk/

Like you i hate gyms, I zwifted last winter and will do again but that’s a mechanism to avoid ‘turbo training’ and I wanted something that was more whole body to overcome my ‘legs like Wiggins / body like Biggins’ physique.

And it’s chuffing hard, but addictive, and only gets better when the weather turns shittier because you know you’re GRRRR!

giantalkali
    Free Member

Bouldering, Cheaper and better for technique than ‘indoor climbing’ which usually means ropes, harnesses, heights and a buddy who you trust.

scotroutes

Skiing

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikebouy
    Free Member

hooli – Member
    I feel like taking up a new hobby to stop me sitting on the sofa eating junk food and watching rubbish telly as the evenings draw in.

What do you guys do in the winter to keep busy?

Trail Running, though you have to be flexible as to time and weather.. Muds fine, Rains fine too… but you’ll end up running places where the Dog Walking fraternity gather in bushes. So, watch out for dog poo and grumpy dog walkers.. they only tend to walk 20mins which isn’t far so once you break out of “their” Zone you’ll be into the wooded trails no bother.
    A decent head torch is useful, gloves and for when you get back to the car (if you drive there) a towel to wipe yourself down and a bin bag for your running shoes..
    And some water to sip.

You can do more for fitness and sheer “fun” trail running, it’s hilarious. Pound the tarmac paths or roads and well… you need your head examining.

Or I’d suggest, since you seem to want to “do” something.. Badders or Squashers or if so inclined Golf range ball whackers..

aracer
    Free Member

Which are the reasons – particularly the latter – I prefer proper climbing than being Billy no mates bouldering. Because one of the main things I like about climbing is that it’s sociable. Clearly you do have to find such buddies, but I found the group I now climb with on Meetup, which is also a good place to look for any social activities. The other disadvantage you don’t mention is that you also have to learn how to belay properly if you want to be a buddy for the person who is looking after you – but if there isn’t a group like mine who will teach you that, then all climbing walls offer courses.

Not that I’ve got anything against bouldering, I do plenty of it and it’s cool when there’s a good group and some banter – I was even extolling the virtues the other day to somebody who has similar preferences for roped climbing. You’re probably right about developing technique, but then if you’re not doing roped climbing, then all you’re developing technique for is bouldering!

dumbbot
    Free Member

masturbation

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Hi-fi, red wine.

Winter evenings sorted

giantalkali
    Free Member

Aracer –

Which are the reasons – particularly the latter – I prefer proper climbing than being Billy no mates bouldering. Because one of the main things I like about climbing is that it’s sociable.

Roped climbing isn’t social though. One of you is at the top of a bloody great big wall while the other is at the bottom getting a crick in their neck and watching your arse so you don’t die. Bouldering on the other hand is a load of sweaty people in a sweaty room, sweating. Social…

Merak

Filter has ruined my fun.

wilburt
    Free Member

October to May is running season, I also now do Zwift.
    My non aerobic hobby is painting, (pictures not walls) but it requires a certain mental calm I seldom achieve.

somafunk

Archery, loads of toys/modifications to fiddle with if you are that way inclined once you get a bug for it and the meditative aspect to planting arrows into a tiny disc is not to be underestimated.

aracer
    Free Member

Not all the time. Not even most of the time if you don’t take it too seriously. Actually not even most of the time even if you do take it too seriously.

I suppose it helps that most of the time I’m climbing with a group bigger than 2, but even with only 2 on a rope it’s still a social experience.

mactheknife

Learn the guitar or any other instrument that takes your fancy. Nothing more rewarding and frustrating in equal measure!

+2 photography. Once you realise how to take a photograph, or create an image (rather than a snapshot), it can become addictive (and expensive). And you are ALWAYS learning. There’s always another technique, piece of kit, scenario, edit, or a multitude of other things that you can progress with

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

The wife has always wanted to learn to dance, so a few years ago I finally gave in and went along to a Ceroc lesson (modern jive/salsa type thing) with her.

I have NO rhythm, however, you don’t need it, that’s what the music is there for, to keep time for you.

All you need to do is listen/feel the beat of the music, and move.

That type of dancing is purely partner dancing though, so when I’ve tried to dance on my own I still feel/look like a spaz.

cheese@4p

Yet another for indoor climbing but I will add yoga into the mix

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mountainbiking.

Yes the ridgeway is under ankle deep mud, but the peak will kill a set of brake pads before you stop for a sausage roll at fairholmes, swinley turns to grit an to off piste gets destroyed, Scotland is covered in snow, the Lake district is just wet, as is wales. Everywhere can claim that they’re the worst.

Singlespeed, small rotor and sintered pads (runs hot, minimises pad wear), decent lights and get out and ride.

I actually enjoy the winter riding as much as the summer, it’s so completely different it my as well be a different sport, but the fitness transfers perfectly. Just needs a bike and kit that suits it.

I only road ride in winter when we get a big blocking high pressure and there’s no chance of sailing (another sport where the winter series is a different challenge).

Other than that, I always plan to get a head start on the DIY when the weather’s crap so I can get out more in the summer. Ditto the garden, get all the pruning done and the borders dug over and weed membrane over the top until the frosts are finished so that doesn’t need touching. That way when the weather is actually nice I can get out!

scud
    Free Member

My regular winter activities…

– Turbo trainer, dull, but having daughter who watches Disney/CBBC all day. I buy the odd DVD of films i’ve been wanting to see during summer as they come up on offer and save them up for turbo in winter, so catching up on films too.

– Concept 2 rower, hard at first, but big fitness gains quite quickly and great for flexibility and core strength

– New one for me, and great the moment, mushroom picking, learning all about the edible ones and takes you out into the woods and fresh air.

– Cider / beer / wine/ gin production, great time of the year if you live in rural area like me, so many people have apples/ damsons/ plums etc that they don’t use…so i turn them into booze!!

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

I picked up a massive gym grade cross trainer from the freeads a few years back so that’s exercise sorted for when I’m feeling soluble.

For something to do I like to mess about repairing and modifying electronics stuff. Hi-fi, laptops, games consoles etc. You can pick up faulty stuff for sod all and even turn a profit on some of it. If you’ve never done anything like it here are loads of books and videos on Youtube covering the basics which to be honest will do for the majority of repairs. £25 worth of tools and you’re good to go. It’s very satisfying to repair and use things which most people would just chuck out by default.

I don’t watch TV, haven’t done for years, can’t stand the bs.

I don’t watch TV, haven’t done for years, can’t stand the bs.

Hurrah, well done.

I’m always impressed when non-tv watchers feel the need to announce it.

There’s some good stuff out there amongst the crap – don’t cut your nose off to spite your face pal 😉

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Line Dancing … obviously

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

scalextric

aracer
    Free Member

That’s a good point – I’m wanting to improve my climbing and could do with more flexibility. Have never done yoga or anything similar though… (and TBH I’m short of time rather than things to fill it with!)

el_boufador

Lift weights and diy

garage-dweller

This year MTB is likely to be my main winter hobby. It’s one thing I can tolerate doing outdoors in just about any weather and state of trails.Agree with tinas on this except the singlespeed suggestion.

Spent more time sailing this summer than riding….next year will hopefully do more of both.

I also do trainsets with the kids (it’s not grown up enough to call a “layout”), a bit of airfix, a little bit of gym time and maybe some swimming too.

Northwind

It’s happening! I’m actually doing stuff to the motorbike! Now the garage stinks of petrol and I have rust in my eyes, this thing is an absolute disaster.

Should have probably decided to do something more sociable mind but still

hodgynd
    Free Member

Badminton & Squash are both excellent ..but for me they were a one way ticket to knee trouble ( especially squash which I gave up age 39 and used to play most evenings )..I went back to badminton and played for 3 years before finally giving up about 2 years ago with a recurrence of knee problems ..but give it a go ..they are both hard physical games which once you understand how to play I’m sure you would enjoy .

vickypea
    Free Member

Art. I find it really relaxing to get my drawing pens out and do some sketching. If the weather is really awful or I’ve got a cold, drawing keeps me from getting grumpy about not being on the bike!

wiggles
    Free Member

Astrophotography perhaps? (I’d love to get into that, except for light pollution so need to drive to somewhere remote that isn’t dogging central ).

Hey that’s still a hobby 😉

willard

Indoor skydiving, for when you can’t do real skydiving.

Or, carpet bowls.

prawny

I bought a PS3 for the kids, and I’m slowly getting sucked into the shallow end of Sim Racing. Just AI for now, but I’m eying up a PS4 or PC and a better wheel, and I’ve not had mine a week yet 😆

kayak23

Spoon carving.
    Crack pipe on the go, rocking chair on the verandah, whittling away, jobs a goodun.

Everybody loves spoons!

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Winter hobby’ is closed to new replies.