• This topic has 30 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jobro.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Winter hardtail…Singlespeed rigid or geared hardtail?
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Not exactly a first world problem but, I’d like a second bike as an adverse weather/back up/odd commute duty type thing. I ride a 29er Xc full suss which I’d like to look after during the wet months ahead. Also had a few down times due to repairs etc so a back up would be great.

Really can’t make up my mind to go singlespeed for simplicity etc or a normal geared front suss hardtail. Any other folk had this indescision?

emac65
    Free Member

Yeah I did this,bought a 29er Scandal to ride SS with rigid forks on,but then liked it so much I stuck some Reba’s & 1×9 gears on it….The Anthem is in the garage gathering dust now !

somouk
    Free Member

I’m running an on one 29er, with a 1 x 10 gearing and Rebas.

I sold my full sus and just ride this now, got a reasonably fast rolling pair of tyres on so it’s fine on road but is more than adequate for trail center usage in mucky conditions.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

rigid ss here, but then where I live it’s flat and VERY muddy so was a no-brainer really

jameso

Save the maintenance of just the rear sus with one, or have a bike that rarely needs more than a bit of chain oil with the other. SS rigid may do more for your fitness and handling skills by spring time too.

Haze

Rigid, fixed

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Singlespeed, Rigid Stooge for me this winter…..And some Fatbike Fun

Duffer
    Free Member

Rigid Singlespeed for me! Just prepare for your ‘Summer bike’ to be retired altogether!

Any excuse:

Nobby

I ended up with both – the HT hasn’t turned a wheel since I built the rigid SS.

Spin
    Free Member

Rigid, fixed

This. It will make you a better rider and is absolutely hilarious.

ampthill

I find gears and suspension forks useful summer or winter

1-shed
    Free Member

Single speed CX bike

steve_b77
    Free Member

I bought a genesis fortitude race last autumn, it got hammered over winter and is way more capable than I first thought. Rigid with 1×10

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Depends on a few things
    Where do you live?
    What do you ride?
    Are there proper hills and proper rough bits?
    Do you insist on riding through hub deep slop rather than going somewhere that handles bad weather?
    No Hills, No Rough stuff & Perversion for hub deep slop then probably rigid singlespeed will be easy to carry…

benji
    Free Member

Rigid singlespeed, and just gear it according to where you live and ride, and prepare for the most addictive ride you’ve had in a long while.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Ok. Live in Bedfordshire so not hilly really. Just got a 2014 Charge Cooker SS reduced end of season, fingers crossed it goes well. Thanks for all the comments people.

shermer75
    Free Member

Rigid is a lot of fun and forks cost a fortune, so that’s a good idea. Single speed is also cheaper and easier if your knees can take it!
    Ps if you’re going to go rigid give 2.4″ Nobby Nics a go, I love them

D0NK

rigid 29er SS, is probably a good shout, have run 26 ss all winter before in rigid and HT guises but last year I mostly rode fs with gears and didn’t notice my drivechain/suspension exploding.
    single pivot with end of life parts on it tho.

Single speed CX bike

great for my flat commute but since I stuck gears on mine in spring I’m actually reluctant to go SS again, CX bikes can ride almost anything, ssing it kinda gimps that. With 63″ gearing you struggle to climb xc and spin out on road, but if you’re mostly riding flattish trails and road they’re pretty cool. (sure some superfit/masochist types manage 63xc YMMV)

cookeaa

I love my Rigid SS winter bike, but I also understand SS isn’t for everyone, how about a cheap 1×10, rigid setup?

I’ve found the TT ring and a lack of mechs or chain devices really help stop the crap accumulating, around the BB/chainset area on my HT, having a few gears for spinning out of winter slop might be a nice bonus, and rigid forks to save your bouncy ones just make sense IMO…

This would make a great winter MTB, ride it as it comes this winter, grind the Drivetrain to bits, then scour the sales and fit a TT ring and 1×10 drive, and lose the guide over summer…

spence
    Free Member

Live in Bedfordshire so not hilly really.

Race to the top of K2 then Hugh.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Spence….no 🙂 Done it once, never again oooofff.

neilwarne
    Free Member

Singlespeed (although I am a fraud and it’s got suspension forks).

BillOddie

Rigid Geared Karate Monkey was supposed to be my winter bike but I have barely ridden my bike with suspension since i got it in January. It’s 2×10 at the moment but i think a move to 1×10 will happen when i wear out the current chainrings.

Now I have discovered a crack on the bike with suspension I don’t even have a choice!

edhornby

if you want a winter specific bike then it needs to be ali frame (non-corrosive) no gears and no moving parts on the forks

because you have a 29er full suss I’d say stick with big wheels but it doesn’t matter much

darkcyan
    Free Member

Fortitude SS rigid. Chunky monkey up front (29″).

No going back for me unless the knees pack in.

Great ride, fun and minimal hassle.

Paceman
    Free Member

As you already ride thwe wagon wheels i’d go with a rigid 29er hardtail for winter riding, ideally one which you can fit big volume tyres on. Either SS or 1×10, both are easy to maintain, choice depending on whether your locals climbs will be rideable or not with gear only (particularly in the wet where smooth torque becomes more important).

cfinnimore
    Free Member

SS, rigid.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve just moved and with my new trails (bigger, steeper hills), I’ve converted my winter rigid SS to a 1x hardtail as I’d hate riding the SS around here. I don’t see any major issues with longevity though clearly SS drivetrain will last longer or at least be cheaper but the benefits of gears round here makes up for that.

YMMV depending on fitness, what and how you ride.

tomlevell

Gears in winter. (Although I’m mostly gears all the time now)
    Never liked grinding the crap out of myself even on 32:18 gear in winter. Feels slow and hard when I should be taking it slightly easier.

Depending upon the mileage of the kit I run the chain and cassette into the ground over winter and replace in Spring and repeat.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Just built up a rigid 29er with 1×10 gears.
    I spent a bit over 500 building it up. But its all brand new except the frame and the chain, cassette, and cranks which came off my full sus when I upgraded them.

I have ridden my full sus once since getting the rigid and thats only because it was mid headset swap. I went to pick the car up from the garage. Hasnt been out again since.

I’ve been taking it down dh tracks an everything I normally ride the fs on. Might as well sell it!

jobro
    Free Member

I’ve been riding SS for the past 10 years from November to March. Main reasons were to simplify mechanicals, ease of post ride cleaning and the development of on bike strength.
    I’ve tried rigid but found on Exmoor,Dartmoor and Quantocks where I do most of my riding it was really hard work. Just kept on bouncing off rocky stuff that is obscured in leaves or mud.

Rigid SS would certainly work in less technical terrain.29er version would be my choice if starting from scratch.

Now ride Trek 69er SS as my main bike for winter.Works fine.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Winter hardtail…Singlespeed rigid or geared hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.