Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Winter hardtail project
  • paulnorman
    Free Member

Hi guys/girls,

Im planing to build up a 650b hardtail for the winter but am unsure what frame to go for. Not rode a hardtail for a good few years so can’t decide between alloy or steel? Any help would be awesome as this is my first winter bike build so pretty clueless.

Cheers, Paul

mindmap3
    Free Member

Not sure what your budget is, but I love my Stanton Switchback 650b hardtail. It was originally built as a second bike to replace as Slacklibe that was too small but I love it so much that it became my main bike and I’ve sold the full suss to pay for a Ti version.

I was never thst fussed about steel. I don’t remember my early steel bikes well enough and wasn’t a have fan of my BFe which felt a bit dad to me. I really like the Stantobs I’ve had though. Steel is a bit heavier but I don’t think it’s as harsh and just looks right. Here’s mine…

tillyfishes
    Free Member

Go with a Bird Zero…..the only problem is you will be so tempted to go for a full build due to the excellent the value for money!

It would be a perfect winter bike—–and then you will end up loving it soooooooo much you will ride it all summer!

paulnorman
    Free Member

The Stanton is one of the bikes I’ve been looking at actually. I just couldn’t figure out if it’s worth the extra £200 over a cotic BFE or the Bird zero

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Steel does feel nicer and that counts for a lot when you’ve got no rear travel! I’ve got a stanton slackline.
    Certainly a different style of riding to my full sus but ideal for the winter

ceepers

I just built this…..

Frames are £350 at merlin at the moment. Seems ace so far!

mindmap3
    Free Member

I can’t comment on the Bird, but I think the Stanton is definitely worth the extra over a BFe. I didn’t really like mine all that much. It felt heavy and dead and pretty hash too which my Slackline certainly proved.

jim25

Transition only availaible in size small

paulnorman
    Free Member

I had been looking at the transition but didn’t get there in time before the mediums sold out. Its starting to look like the stanton is the best option.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The Stanton is one of the bikes I’ve been looking at actually. I just couldn’t figure out if it’s worth the extra £200 over a cotic BFE or the Bird zero

A Stanton is £200 more than a BFe, so £550 for a frame, really ? Blimey. I built my BFe as my winter bike but use it 90% of the time now.

pickle
    Free Member

for £150 surely you have to consider one of these?

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROO45650B/on-one-45650b-frame

godzilla
    Free Member

Ns eccentric in cro-mo £259 on crc.
    650b genesis latitude £190 eBay.

mindmap3
    Free Member

A Stanton is £200 more than a BFe, so £550 for a frame, really ? Blimey. I built my BFe as my winter bike but use it 90% of the time now.

Having owned both, the Stanton is worth it. I didn’t really like my BFe (which I know is heresy around here).

I’ve owned a few steel frames and never really got the steel thing until I got an 853 Slackline. It had a spring and liveliness that was missing from previous frames, especially the BFe.

andykirk
    Free Member

Mindmap…. how tall are you?

I have a Slackline that I just can’t get on with, I am a shade over 6ft 2 and I feel that the large frame I am on is too small for me. Not really understanding bike geometry I just put this down to Stanton geo not suiting me, do you feel any better on the Switchback?

To the OP I may have an almost mint Slackline for sale very soon!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

For winter I’d say steel wins every time, all that grit’s hard on paint, especially chainstays if your heels rub. Steel is both harder (so wears less) and can be powdercoated easily (so if you like a frame, it’s only £50 to have it looking new again).

Never ridden one, but hard to look past a 45650b for value.

boobs

I have just got a chumba off Mr Spoon above and after many on ones, (the chumba is shorter by far.) I am finding it quite impressive no back ache , I haven’t even broken an arm yet? (someone will get that)

mindmap3
    Free Member

Mindmap…. how tall are you?

I have a Slackline that I just can’t get on with, I am a shade over 6ft 2 and I feel that the large frame I am on is too small for me. Not really understanding bike geometry I just put this down to Stanton geo not suiting me, do you feel any better on the Switchback?

To the OP I may have an almost mint Slackline for sale very soon!

I’m a shade under six foot. I was trying to do longer trail rides on a 16.5 inch Slackline….it didn’t really work.

The 18 inch Switchback seems to fit me pretty well with a 50mm stem. Looking at the geo, there’s not much more top tube or reach on a Switchback but there is an extra 20mm in the wheelbase or so.

You wouldn’t be the firt taller person to find their bikes a tad short which I think is being tweaked for the Mk II Switchback.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I haven’t even broken an arm yet?

The full list of things broken whilst not building that frame up is:
    3 arms (all left radius),
    2 sprained wrists (both left)
    1 broken sesamoid in my foot (left big toe)
    1 finger (middle, right hand)

Glad to hear it’s finally been put to good use though!

paulnorman
    Free Member

I’m a short arse so would need a 16.5 inch Stanton. I haven’t looked at the onone because in an ideal world I want a 12×142 rear end so I can use the same wheels as my enduro bike. Although I’m areas the Bfe is 135 on the rear

GolfChick
    Free Member

I did exactly this in preparation for this winter and I’ve built up a switchback having not ridden a hardtail for a while too. Its properly good fun and a whole different world to the bronson, just need a cheapo dropper now for the odd time I go to the wyre and not just my local loop. Would definitely recommend one!

paulnorman
    Free Member

I think it might be time to start looking into parts for this bike then. Thanks everyone

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Winter hardtail project’ is closed to new replies.