Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Winter Hack Bike
  • SandCrab

I’m considering getting a bike to use through winter, something low maintenance and reliable. I currently use my Rock Lobster but but am thinking of something more basic (and cheap!) to keep me riding in the clag.

So my question is, how cheap could i get a basic but capable winter hack bike?

Happy to consider singlespeed, rigid and any other options. I’d prefer to buy one off the peg as i’ve never built one before but might give it a bash if thats the best way. I live between the Yorks Dalses and Moors so that is the areas i’d look to use it.

Thanks in advance

SC

wwaswas

you mean for offroad?

what sort of budget?

you’ll struggle to get anything ‘winterproof’ at the budget end of the market I think (even SS) – the sealing on bearings etc will be poor and you’ll end up replacing stuff frequently.

maybe a cheaper ‘winter drive train’ for the RL or just budget to replace a lot of it in the spring?

vinnyeh

I’ve never really got this ‘hack bike for the winter’ thing for mountain bikes. I can understand it for the road, but a mountain bike is meant to be ridden in adverse conditions.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Problem with properly cheap bikes is that stuff doesn’t last if they are actually used much. Would have thought On One would have something reasonable

cynic-al
    Free Member

vineyh – an ss with hydraulic brakes and decent bearings, mudguards is pretty much maintenance free.

mieszko
    Free Member

I think some recommended Diamondback Mojito as a good and cheap bike, 29er, SS and somewhere around £300. Aluminium frame, ss, cable disc brakes, so You get the benefit of disc brakes without the faff of bleeding etc. However for £300 You will get a lot on eBay but as with second hand bikes there might be some work needed or something might be broken etc and the bike will end up more in the end. As Al said, look for some cheap on-one bikes as well.

My plan for the winter is a a £50 bike (ended up costing about £100 with all the bits to get it working) as a commuter, road bike with mudguards on for road rides and training, MTB will be just for occasional use on the odd ride with mates.

wwaswas
    Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Theres no such thing as ‘winterproof’ IMO, there is only less maintenance.

Theres a point at which cheaper kit is harder to maintain in less than ideal conditions.

I don’t personally subscribe to the ‘winter bike’ theory, since a little extra maintenance here and there on a regular basis is hardly the end of the world. But then, I ride a single speed and a turner, both of which are pretty easy maintenance.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Winter Hack Bike’ is closed to new replies.