Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • winter gloves…cheap or expensive, what have you had success with?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

my old commuting gloves are just cheap skiing gloves from a department store.they are fine in all waethers apart from below 4 degrees or thereabouts.i will need some for commuting and also xc soon.
    what do people use? cheap gloves with liners, expensive with expensive liners?, mitts?,etc etc or does it not matter what you use cos you always get numb finger tips no matterwhat!?

vdubber67
    Free Member

sealskin winter gloves are good. Decathlon silk liner gloves good investment too…,

saladdodger
    Free Member

Lobster gloves are very good possably too warm infact

AndyP
    Free Member

Specialized Radiants for sub-zero work, Specialized Deflects the rest of the time.

twinklydave

in the depths of winter the "extreme" sealskins ones, with thin liner gloves underneath kept my fingers frostbite free for big long rides

StirlingCrispin

Northface gloves with Gore Windstopper fabric most of the time.

Lobster gloves when it drops below freezing.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I use windstopper ones if its light drizzle and fairly cool, although my hands get wet they stay warm and you get decent control and dexterity. I had Gore Volcano's which were ace, v warmm, but fell apart really easily, I now have some Pearl Izumis which are indestructible but not as warm, so I'm gonna have to find my silk liners …

I also have some insulated waterproof sealskins, which are a complete PITA and have terrible dexterity, but if its lashing it down and freezing cold at least my hands are OK …

This is for commuting 5 times a week in all weathers. I don't think I'd ever use the sealskins off road through, I'd rather have cold wet hands.

Jamie
    Free Member

Aldi ones. In stock from this thursday. If it gets really bad i have some seal skin glove liners to wear as well.

Mackem

About 12 years ago I bought Gore ones, still going strong, excellent for both cycling and skiing.

the00
    Free Member

I usually cope with liners under normal gloves, but can recommend Aldi gloves for colder times.

trail_rat
    Free Member

got sealskinz & altura and the gloves i reach for in all but downpours are my aldi "biking" gloves.

stictly speaking only windproof but keep my hands dry better than my sealskinz and keep me warm too

find them fine in all but extreme lows

Gary_M
    Free Member

Used Specialized sub-zeros for the last 2 years – they're a 2 part glove with a fleecy inner glove and a windproof outer. Means you can wear either on their own. Only problem is they really aren't waterproof. Also bought some merino glove lines which are great. Tried 661 storms – inner pulls out when you take them off, not in the least bit breathable or waterproof, cuff too short but they are warm.

Thinking about buying a pair of Extremities Paclite Tuff Bags which will be great for really wet nights. But I treid some on last year and they were massive.

Adders69
    Free Member

Another vote here for Sealskinz (Winter Mountain Bike Glove – which I can't see on their website any more!). Add the Thermal liner glove when it get's really cold!

Worked a treat on the coldest of days earlier in the year, including a New Years Day ride that was around -4 C.

chakaping
    Free Member

Second Aldi gloves. Might even go and pick up another pair myself, been very impressed with them.

Sealskinz technical ones are a bit bulky and hot for all but freezing rides.

Bream
    Free Member

I have the SealSkinz waterproof winter technical MTB glove and find that whilst they are waterproof and I'm happy with them you still get wet hands from sweating so much unless it's below freezing outside. Another pain is trying to wash the smell out of them as you can't turn them inside out etc so they never come clean.

Overall a nice glove but when this pair wears out I'll prob try something else.

AB
    Free Member

Can't recommend these highly enough. Must have tried about 6 pairs of winter gloves throughout the years and having tried these, I'd be happy paying £100 for them. They are THAT good.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Another vote for Specialized Deflects

IanMunro
    Free Member

I use Endura Dexter gloves in winter apart from the rare days when it's mental cold, in which case I just use some generic fleece lined waterproof walking gloves.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Those Alp X look very similar to the three pairs of Volcano's I had, that all fell apart within 3 months of use 5 days a week …

finbar
    Free Member

I've got Endura Lobster Claws and my hands still get cold 🙁

crazy-legs

I really suffer with cold hands, I've tried several gloves over the years and seem to have ended up with Specialized Deflects or for really cold weather the Sub Zeros.
    Had some Pearl Izumi ones for a while and while they're OK down to about 5deg, below that they're dreadful. 🙁

sockpuppet

i have a pair of Giordana Activa Gloves which work very well, especially for their (lack of ) thinkness. i like them a lot.

when i got *really cold* this last year i just used my extremites windstopper fleece gloves – not bike specific, or all that water proof, but still kept my hands warm enough. bit bulky on the bars, but tolerable

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I found the Aldi ones more than adequate for the last scottish winter, including a night ride when it was -12

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘winter gloves…cheap or expensive, what have you had success with?’ is closed to new replies.