Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Winter gloves that actually work?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Made a similar thread a couple of months ago and the general consensus seemed to be that those windowcleaners Glacier Gloves were the ones to go for. I bought some a while ago but have only just had my first actual cold(ish) weather ride in them and to sum them up in a few words would be utter utter gash. As in they’re worse than the aldi gloves, which aren’t even very good. And it’s not even really that cold yet! First signs of numbness 5 minutes into a road ride and by 10 minutes my fingers were throbbing from the cold!

I have a feeling a lot of it is down to me having poor circulation as my hands/toes go numb very easily when it gets a bit cold. Questionable internet diagnosis seems like it might be raynaud’s as my fingers and toes go white/purple very easily. Not sure what can be done about that tbh.

So who makes a good set of winter gloves that will work for those of us with poor circulation? I think I might try those mitten style ones rather than individual fingers – I’ll only need them for road anyway so finger dexterity isn’t that important.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Forget gloves.

Bar mitts are the way forwards for winter riding 🙂

Lovely things. Currently got them on the commuting bike and dont have to wear gloves ( from previously having to wear lobster claw gloves and even heavy duty mountaineering mitts for my commute as its very early and very north.

Been down into the minus 20s and only had to wear summer gloves with them 🙂 – feet on the other hand – they were still cool

Del

make sure your arms are wrapped up. it’s easy to under dress this time of year when you’re working hard. torso feels comfy but your arms act as radiators and cool the blood before it gets to your hands.

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah I’m wearing a long sleeve base layer and a solomon ski jacket. Everything else is warm apart from my fingers and toes.

plyphon
    Free Member

I use some leather motorbike gloves my old man gave me, work a dream.

You don’t look cool and it doesn’t have FOX or TLD written on it anywhere but they’re mighty warm and grip the bars fantastically.

_tom_
    Free Member

I was thinking motorbike gloves with some kind of windbreaker fabric might be the answer.

aP
    Free Member

I’ve found that lobster gloves work well, with either silk liner gloves or lightweight thermal gloves underneath.
    Although they’re now stupendously expensive the assos winter glove system works very well for me. Although when I bought them the 3 gloves cost less than one individual pair does now 😯
    I’ve noticed that rapha have now produce a winter glove system much the same as well.

Northwind

Just a sec, which Glacier Gloves did you get, they make a wide range. THe Perfect Curves which are the ones people recommend should keep you warm if anything will, no comparison with the Aldi gloves.

(I’ve got bad circulation, wore them down below -10 (ambient) and stopped to make a snowman… I’ve worn other gloves that would keep me functional in those conditions but nothing else that kept me warm and comfy).

The only thing that’s beaten them was a pair of Spada Force WP motorbike gloves, but they’re not really practical for pushbike use.

_tom_
    Free Member

I got these ones – http://www.windowcleancentre.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?ProductID=165

They are a kinda snug fit which might not help, they don’t feel overly tight or restrictive though. But I might try a medium for a bit extra room. Anyone want to buy a pair of small ones for half the rrp?!

mattsccm
    Free Member

Fluffy fleece gloves work for me. My hands are always cold at this time of year but fleece seems the best. not to tight. They also are pretty good when wet. I find neoprene makes my hands sweaty and thus cold.

matt_outandabout

I have all sorts – today was too cold for MTB gloves, so windbreaker gloves came out. I then have a couple of pairs of mountain gloves – soft shell, fleece lined ME guide gloves, then Montane Mountain glove, all can be teamed with thinny/stretchy inner gloves. For user cold (-5 or more) then I break out the old pile and Perth mountain mitts.

trail_rat
    Free Member
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Winter gloves that actually work?’ is closed to new replies.