Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Winter gloves that actually keep your hands warm ?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Haha matt i did that too – even better were my deluge gloves that fitted fine….. Fell apart , took 3 months for warrenty and came back marked up as the same size but my hand was going no where near getting inside them.

Also suggested stealth shorts – might phone up and ask for my royalties now its been 3 years and they seem to have a form of stealth short 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Another vote for Aldi ones
    . Cheap but fantastic in the cold

trail_rat
    Free Member

Also as i keep replying to these threads – http://www.hotpog.co.uk

Im riding with barmits fleece lined neoprene pogies on my commuter – hardly even have to wear gloves , tis quick a shock to the hands to take them out to wipe your nose or something.

ask1974
    Free Member
    tomtomthepipersson

I have some Strikes. Terrible in winter unless you add a pair of merino liners – then they’re good for proper bastard cold temperatures.

frazered
    Free Member

I wear 2 pairs my summer full finger gel padded alturas and some cheap karrimor thermal gloves that stretch over the top and keep my normally cold hands toasty

Nobby

Another Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Softshell user here. As they are down to zero, with silk liners (£4 in Decathlon) for proper cold. Amazingly good considering how light/thin they are.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

The aldi gloves are good especially for commuting. They have a bit less feel than normal mtb gloves, but really arent that bad esp once worn in.

The other option I found that has worked is a pair of under gloves with some thinner winter mtb gloves.

This way I get good feel/grip and but you can still get a bit of warmth.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Not too sure I about keeping the core warm, but I find if you keep your wrists warm this helps with you hands.

If you have any arm warmers these can help keep your hands warm.

mauja
    Free Member

Get some neoprene ones, they’re really warm and your hands don’t move around in them on the bars like they can do in padded gloves. They’re also great in the wet as well.

I use some gul windsurfing ones but castelli and endura do cycling specific ones.

exupmonkey
    Free Member

Another vote for Aldis here, not at all fashionable but seriously good value for the £5 asking!

pdV6
    Free Member

I find the SealSkinz big thick gloves to be too warm; my hands get sweaty and then cool as a result! Plus they’re way too thick to have proper feel for the controls.

Recently got some 661 Storm gloves and they seem pretty good so far. Not used them in proper cold conditions yet though.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ve been using these for the last few years. They keep my hands warm down to around -15 without any problems. In fact I have also used them for snowboarding when I have forgotten my boarding gloves without any problems.

lunge

Another vote for Aldi here, not breathable, not pretty but very functional. I bought a couple of pairs, 1 of which was a size to big and on the really cold days wear the big pair with a silk liner underneath

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I have 2 pairs of Endura Strikes replaced under warranty as the liners got detached from the mebrane and i simply couldn’t getthem on. stil wear them from time to time, but useless in the cold as they don’t breathe very well.

Specialized sub-zeros for me, for proper cold riding. Removable shell if it warms up, and fully washable inner. Or can wear the shell on its own if its wet, but not too cold.

I did find myself looking at horse-riding gloves the other day. Surely they must work…

trb
    Free Member

I have a pair of marigold thermal gloves (£4.25 on ARCO – they are the ones people wear in supermarket cold stores) and stick a pair of Planet X windproof gloves over the top.
    Cheap and toasty, plus you can ditch the marigolds if it warms up.

motozulu
    Free Member

Well I’m going against the pack and sticking up for the Endura strikes. Just got back from the Chase – hovering around zero when I left, 4 degrees when I got back – hands warm the whole ride through.

Me soddin’ feet, however….. 🙁

Frankers
    Free Member

Them Hotpogs look really sleek….

Frankers
    Free Member

remind me of Brother Lee Love

ir_bandito
    Free Member

hovering around zero when I left, 4 degrees when I got back

yep, thats fine for Strikes, but that’s not “proper” winter conditions, is it?

nickswolves
    Free Member

When the mercury dips below freezing out come the Aldi bike gloves….any warmer and your hands sweat but when its biting cold they’re spot on!

cookeaa

+1 for Aldi gloves, got 2 pairs.

Agree not great if the weather is just low temps rather than zero or below, and they ain’t waterproof, they’ll keep the rain out for maybe an hour and a half but once they saturate that’s it… Still incredible VFM…

prettygreenparrot

I have the old version of these Ground Effect gloves. They work well. For real winter warmth it’s hard to beat these

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i like my sealskinz winter gloves with liners

Andy-W
    Free Member

Just got in from a 3hour night ride frost and ice all over the place..
    Aldi gloves did the job again,,nice and warm all the way not even a hint of cold
    I took some glove liners but they stayed in my pocket all the time

Buy Some.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

I have found over the years that ensuring your arms are kept warm and especially the cuff area makes a huge difference no matter what gloves you wear. It’s all about blood circulation.

Fox antifreeze for the last two winters, same pair still going strong. I like these the most because they don’t feel stupid thick like others.

motozulu
    Free Member

It might not be ‘proper’ winter conditions but it was still bloody cold 😆

I have’nt been out in ‘proper’ winter yet but it seems like it’s my feet that’ll freeze before my hands according to Friday.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Specialized Sub Zero.

Specialized sub-zeros for me, for proper cold riding. Removable shell if it warms up, and fully washable inner. Or can wear the shell on its own if its wet, but not too cold.

got an old pair of these which looks slightly different to stuff on google image search (mine are more neopreney, but with a fleecy lining) and with the vulcan 2 finger design it has to be a chunk below zero or they are too warm (bought them in the states where -5C was typical rather than notable). The new ones sound more adaptable.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Today i wore no gloves …. Pogies rule 🙂

lazybike
    Free Member

motorbike gloves for me…4hrs today and warm hands.

khegs
    Free Member

Argh pogies, I’ve tried using them for kayaking, They work brilliantly, but I hate em, preferred having cold hands (expect I’d be the same on the bike)

They work excellently though, but you either love them or hate em

Those Endura *edit*Sealskin (argh ffs)*edit* gloves are excellent, a bit bulky, but not too bad, very warm though, I just wear the defeet woolly gloves most of the time, which are really good.

they are just woolly gloves with rubber grippy things on the palm though, so you can probably get something just as good for about £2 in the local market

I am in Bristol though, so it’s not exactly arctic most of the time

michaelmcc
    Free Member

The Gore ones have served me well so far, can’t remember which model they are, they look a bit like slimmed down ski gloves.

superfli
    Free Member

lazybike makes a good point – motorbike gloves. I use some old mb gloves which I discarded as they werent protective enough for the mb, but are fine for the pushbike on the road. They are IXS double gloves or something like that – they have an inner and outer and are very warm, but not so much feel, hence I use them on the road and easy offroad only.
    These, but in medium

bob_summers

How waterproof is waterproof? I bought some Sealskinz waterproof winter gloves last winter but didn’t really get chance to properly test them til today. After 3 hours of heavy rain they were waterlogged and so heavy they were making the bike handle funny.

crazymoose
    Free Member

Lol. Those HotPogs are hilarious, never seen those before. Give me Sealskinz gloves any day. I got a pair of the ultragrip gloves last year and honestly they have been brill. I’m surprised at Bob’s comment. I’d be interested to know whether your hands were still dry at least? I’d be surprised if they weren’t as I have had no probs. Still laughing at those HotPogs, it would be like having oven gloves strapped to your bike. 🙂

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Winter gloves that actually keep your hands warm ?’ is closed to new replies.