Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Winter Gloves
  • DaveE

Any recomendations.
    Not too thick as generally use thinner gloves.

1nten5e
    Free Member

I just got some Northwaves, really really impressed, I have only used summer gloves in the past and was concerned about how a winter glove would feel. No problems with these, and toasty warm

northwave arctic

10% off at CRC this weekend too

uplink
    Free Member

Someone on here a couple of weeks ago recommended Extremities Velo

I got some & I’m well impressed, not waterproof but well fitting & warm

monkeyp

Craft Split Finger lobster style are amazing.

-6 the other day and after a 20 mile commute, hands were toasty

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve got Endura Dexter wind-proof gloves.

i get cold hands and these have been brilliant recently.

(thin, but not waterproof though)

stayhigh

The Craft Lobster things do look tempting, are they waterproof, are they clumsy, do they get overhot?

crazy-legs

I’ve got Specialized Radiants which saw their first use of this winter the other day. I really suffer with cold hands, it’s rare for me to find decent gloves but these ones have done the job fine for the last couple of years. When it was REALLY cold last winter I had a very thin pair of glove liners one underneath them as well.

jools182
    Free Member

I want some of these, unfortunately not got the funds at the moment 🙁

boxelder

I’ve just got those Chibas from Merlin. Not too bulky, sort of pre shaped and they’ve passed the early morning pram push and snowman/snowball fight test.
    Not ridden in them yet though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ohhhh, I was just about to post the same thread 🙂

I have some Planet-x ones, not the most well made of gloves, so probably not suited for people who regulalry ride through thorny bushes/brambles or crash a lot. But they are toasty being bade from somekind of fleacy inner with a thinsulate style outer. And they are very cheep (I paid £25 for a beanie, gloves and overshoes), although after 5 years intermittent use they are showing signs of needing replacement.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Got a pair of Giro Ambients from CycleSurgery for £20. Great so far. Warm and dexterous, though it hasn’t been all that cold yet and I’m not sure they’d stand up to proper cold, wet conditions.

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/giro-ambient-mens-winter-glove/full-finger/bikes-components-bikewear/fcp-product/19254

Chiba Drystars are excellent, but not very robust, unfortunately; I destroyed a pair by washing them which separated the inner and outer and bunched the insulation into clumps. Grrrr.

bloodynora
    Free Member

Another for Spesh Radiants here. Used daily during my commute when its freezing and keep my hands toasty. They are quite thick, though I have no trouble with the controls and its definitely not an issue with me. Also find it helps if your hands are warm when you put the gloves on.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I found some Impsorts in TK Maxx yesterday, not too think but room for a pair of Lifa inner gloves under them. Gel pad on the palm as well.
    £12.99.

rewski
    Free Member

Don’t get seal skins, mine are like boxing gloves, give it half hour of hard riding and your hand are on fire.

Cougar

Might have a look over at TK Maxx myself then. Looking for some winter gloves but need decent padding on the ‘ball’ of my hand cos of a finger injury. I’ve not found a decent gel-padded winter glove yet.

Andituk
    Free Member

Not used them yet, but I’ve just got some Fox Antifreezes that seem good.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Warm hands, thin gloves: Choose any one.

I wear lovely thick skiing gloves this time of year, and my lovely toasty Shimano winter boots too, bought half a size bigger than normal so I can get thick wooly socks on inside.

It may not look good, but by crikey, it feels good.

jools182
    Free Member

still had sore fingers and thumbs with my enduras even with silk liners underneath

oxym0r0n

I asked the same question the other day – didn’t want to plump £40rrp for the Giros but found some PRO ultimates at my LBS on Friday.

They served their purpose on Saturday’s 4 hour minus temp ride with my hands feeling toasty most of the time. If it gets much colder I’ll have to get the ski gloves out again but the Pros have thinner palms than others I’ve tried and gave me enough dexterity…

mieszko
    Free Member

My ultimate cold weather gloves have to be Knog Nomad. -6 in Edinburgh, no problem, warm and toasty. Quite bulky and not really road bike and STI friendly but fine on a mtb. Not waterproof but they did not let water in after couple of rides in the rain. Rated from -5 to +8 have to be the warmest gloves I ever had.

scratch
    Free Member

Are lobsters sti compatable?

ahwiles
    Free Member

ok, i will concede that my dexters left my hands a bit nippy today.

montylikesbeer

pearl-izumi, cyclone glove

and a pair of these as a liner

edz, merino liner gloves

Out yesterday and today, hands was warm as toast

no loss of dexterity either

scraprider
    Free Member

seal skins here , very warm if my hands get a bit warm , i just take them off for a few mins, better that than ones that dont keep you warm.

Grimy
    Free Member

Ive had some Chiba Drystar gloves from merlin a few weeks now. Fantastic value for money for such a bloody nice glove. Lots of technical layers, but still not bulky, very warm and rated to -10, and the liners dont pull out when you remove your hands. for £25 they poo all over the rest and seem to be made much better than anything I tried on at Evens at twice the price.

epicyclo

I’ve just been out for 5 hours today in sometimes heavy snow. I wear Tesco’s hairy woollie gloves which have a built in liner.

They’re brilliant – get damp, but my hands never felt too cold even though most of the ride they were crusted with snow.

Only £5, so I hope they’re going to stock them again. Can’t see anything like them in store at the moment.

neil853
    Free Member

just got some cracking gore ones today, alp x? Not cheap at £40 but they’re windstopper and feel like a very good fit. trying them out on wednesdays nightride so I’ll update once I’ve actually tried them 🙂

roughneck
    Free Member

whats the size like with the Chiba Drystar

mountainposture

I bought some Fox Antifreezes yesterday and rode in them today (not sure it got above freezing) – very warm, did get too warm at one point but only once. Two layers to get away from that awful ‘oh not the liner has come out backwards and I’ll need a chopstick to get it back in’ thing. And not too bulky – I tend to ride with quite thin gloves normally. Happy so far anyway.

Frankers
    Free Member

roughneck – Member

Have been using Chiba gloves for years and can really recommend them, i’m normally medium but have to go for large.

Also hand wash only as the inners can go a bit wonky in the washing machine.

mamadirt
    Free Member

pulls up a chair

Went out this morning wearing my Decathlon B-Twin winter gloves which saw me OK last winter, but by the time I got back my fingers were frozen, I couldn’t brake or change gear 😥 . Went out again later with a thin Decathlon liner glove and good old Poundstretcher cheapo camo fleece gloves and was toasty.

I suffer very badly with Reynauds and spent ages this morning in Field and Trek trying various gloves, thin windstoppers, thick multi layer snowboard gloves, etc, etc. Can’t decide whether it’s better to buy a pair of big-ass snowboard gloves and put up with the slipperiness (is that even a word?) of the multi layers, or go for a thin liner glove and Windstopper fleece. Hmmmmmm . . .

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Beware the TKmax Impsport ones. Thin lycra between fingers means they are crap at keeping your hands warm when its cold/wet/windy.

PeteG55
    Free Member

Anyone tried the Endura Strike gloves? Got great reviews in the mags.

samuri
    Free Member

Enduro windstoppers with merino inners. Toasty.

Grimy
    Free Member

Using their size chart, I was borderline Medium / Large. I went with large and their a snug fit. I recon I’ve got fairly big hands, and measured the circumfrance as 24cm. If yours are any bigger, Id go XL

Click here for their size guide

juiced
    Free Member

i just wear the some ones all year. maybe i should get some winter ones now.

neil853
    Free Member

Endura strikes aren’t a bad glove, but they are NOT waterproof. Not bad at keeping your hand warm in chilly conditions but not when its cold. Not a bad glove but not brilliant. Hoping my gore ones are better 🙄

onewheelgood

Bought a pair of Sealskinz Winter Gloves at the weekend. Yesterday we went for a ride on the Mynd – it was -7.5 when we went out and -3 when we finished. My hands were warm.

tails
    Free Member

I bought some extrimites velo at the weekend as someone on here said they are good, in reality they are very average take the “bite” out but that’s it and I was wearing some thinner gloves under them. Not recommended at £25 a pop.

cwrw
    Free Member

Look out for the Aldi ‘Biking’ ones when they do them. I’ve tried lots of the expensive ones but the Aldi ones for a fiver have seen me through 4 or 5 years of winter commutes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Winter Gloves’ is closed to new replies.