Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Winter gloves
  • bryan-g-

I need a pair of gloves, the warmest that can be had as my fingers felt like they were going to fall of tonight. What’s every one keeping paws warm with.

ton

snowboard mits.

bryan-g-

That’s what I use now and again but they are ****.

ton

tenner in tkmaxx at present.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Specialized Sub Zero.
    Quality isn’t great – stitching is coming apart a bit, but the design is superb. Washable fleece inner that can be worn on its own, with a waterproof outer shell that can also be worn on its own. Toasty fingers down to -15 degC IME.

that said, I lke the look of the neoprene gloves that were in Fresh Goods Friday a couple of weeks ago.

mooman
    Free Member

I have spent a small fortune on various gloves for winter.
    But the best I have used are cheap thick wooly gloves.
    The only ones that keep your hands warm without getting wet with sweat.

nigelb001
    Free Member

Fox Antifreeze

CraigW
    Free Member

If its really cold, you could get some pogies. eg https://www.hotpog.co.uk/

simondbarnes

Spesh Sub Zero here. Toasty hands.

mulv1976
    Free Member

+1 sub zero. Bought some 2012 gloves from mammoth cycles in Stafford for only £28. My hands usually suffer too but were great last weekend in the snow and wind

bruneep

Lidl winter gloves if you can get, best £5 I spent on gloves

kjb9
    Free Member
    sugdenr
    Free Member

I think the trick is inner gloves, separate layer to trap more air

variflex
    Free Member

neoprene gloves, lots of my regular riders have all bought them. the only problem with them is if u take them
    off for a period during a ride they are cold and wet when u put them back on. Castelli make nice ones for around 30 quid. otherwise just wear disposable surgical gloves under your normal gloves. u get a bit sweaty but it works a treat

Northwind

Antifreeze are very good- I’ve got crap circulation but they’ve come closer to keeping me warm than any other mtb glove. Most “winter” gloves aren’t worthy of the name IMO.

But, if you want proper warm, I just got a set of Glacier Gloves Perfect Curves. They’re a bit bulky, and the thick palm gives less feel than most (and also allows a bit of movement between hand and grip), but they’re warm enough that I’ve had sweaty hands in most of my rides where before I’d have been losing sensation. So there’s some riding sacrifices but a big benefit.

theblackmount
    Free Member

The Aldi mtb gloves are pretty damn good for the £. Out of sale time you can pick them up on Ebay for £10. Cane Sport is their brand name

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

I’ve always got cold hands. Riding isn’t a problem, since I’ve used Seal Skinz winter gloves. Walking I use these Rab gloves, but often get cold fingers. I might try inners to see if that solves it.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

sugdenr – Member
    I think the trick is inner gloves, separate layer to trap more air

this man’s got it! if you wear a thin pair of merino liners then i can wear my spesh deflect gloves down to about -5 without cold hands, when its stupidly cold ala -8 all ride with fast descents in the ride i’ll wear my thicker sealskinz winter gloves with the liner….

wearing both WITHOUT the liner and my hands/fingers are cold in -1 conditions

so get yourself a pair of liner/underglove and im sure like me and obviously the chap above you will notice a difference

geedub16
    Free Member

I ordered Fox Antifreeze but they cancelled the order due to a stitch issue, I was left without warm gloves for a weekend ride so took my ski gloves worked good enough but too bulky.

The next day I was in ALDI and bought some 5 quid ski gloves and used them all over winter cant complain for that price so I havent even bothered to order ‘posh’ gloves.

honeybadgerx

When I used to do a bit more winter climbing one of the tricks I used to use was cutting the toes off an old pair of mountaineering socks and pulling them over my arms from wrist to elbow. If you keep the blood nice and warm all the way to your hands you can then get away with thinner gloves/have warmer fingers. That and taping hand warmers to the inside of your wrists if it’s really cold.

AndrewJ
    Free Member

For cold dry conditions I use a pair of fleecey Thinsulate gloves with glove liners, used them in -10 conditions and still had warm fingers. Cost me about £7-8 in total. My Sealskinz winter gloves are ok if it’s wet and above freezing but need a liner when it gets around 0 deg and are no good below zero.

shermer75
    Free Member

snowboard mits.

How do you brake?

AndrewJ
    Free Member

When I used to do a bit more winter climbing one of the tricks I used to use was cutting the toes off an old pair of mountaineering socks and pulling them over my arms from wrist to elbow.

There is something in this. I’ve started wearing knee length ski socks under my tights and my feet are noticeably warmer.

bob_summers

Problem is when it rains. After about 30m of heavy rain my gloves get waterlogged (currently trying sealskinz waterproof gloves, but no better) and then the cold starts to hurt. In dry cold, 5€ thinsulate gloves work as well as anything.

teasel
    Free Member

I have some Endura Deluge, bought for their claimed waterproofing. They fail on that front but riding in anything above minus five has my hands dripping with sweat. Might be worth a gander…

spesh
    Free Member

I bought a pair of these recently after suffering from painfully cold hands for the last couple of winters. So far I’m very impressed. Not the best gloves to use with road STI levers but I get by on my cross bike without too much trouble. If it gets really cold, I pop a pair of thin thermal liners on too and my hands are toasty.

TPTcruiser

Today I have Aldi wooly touchscreen ones inside some old and trusty Gill waterproof cycling gloves. A good bit of insulation but also cushioning on the icy bumpy trail surfaces. Minus 5 on the way home tonight!

ransos
    Free Member

Seal skinz winter gloves, best £35 I have ever spent.

Mine are awful. Ok-ish if it’s dry, but they absorb rain like a sponge, and then get really heavy and cold.

TiRed

Btwin neoprene gloves from decathlon. Mine were about £15 and have been great. As already mentioned, they get a little damp inside and it may take 15 min to warm up. As a trick, I like to move my fingers inside the gloves a little to keep the blood moving and fingers warm. Ridden down to -8 with no problems so far this winter.

bryan-g-

I have gone for the Sub Zero, cycle store doing them for £25:99

yunki
    Free Member

ransos – Member
    Seal skinz winter gloves, best £35 I have ever spent.
    Mine are awful. Ok-ish if it’s dry, but they absorb rain like a sponge, and then get really heavy and cold.

bah.. this makes me cry

I seem to have quite a high temp, I can wear summer gloves all year round unless they get wet, even in the ice and snow.. So in an effort to keep out the wet, but avoid overheating I’ve just bought sealskins..

they sound a bit duff 😐

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Winter gloves’ is closed to new replies.