Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Winter glove recomendations?
  • goffy63
    Free Member

Hi
    any advice on a winter glove for real cold days. I’ve tried a few brands in the past including the Fox antifreeze 2 layer glove but my finger ends still get cold. I love winter chill/frosty morning rides but they can become miserable if your hands and feet get numb with cold.

scotroutes

Polaris do a neoprene glove that I found very useful last year. Once it gets proper cold though, the answer is pogies.

https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/Loki-Neoprene-Winter-Cycling-Glove-p/pol01-5570-p.htm

eulach

Aldi ones when it goes below freezing but not until then, and planet x lobster things when it gets cold.

fooman

I got some Aldi ones when I found my Altura Zero gloves weren’t warm enough, in fact I’m off to buy a couple more pairs now!

Kryton57

Look no further than Galibier Barrier gloves

Very, very good. Good price also.

sharkattack

I’ve been using these for a couple of winters. Not sure how they compare to other stuff but I’m too busy looking rad to notice the cold.

Northwind

The antifreezes are already very warm gloves so the Briskers are not going to cut it, nor the Aldi ones.

I have bad circulation so I struggle with the cold. Antifreezes keep me functional and able to ride which is more than most gloves manage but neoprene’s been a gamechanger for me. I wear Glacier Gloves’ Perfect Curves- they’re not good for feel (they’re made of rubber foam), and they’re completely unbreathable (but also completely waterproof- sticking your hands in a snow-melt stream mid ride is an interesting experience), and pretty soon they’ll make your hands smell like you’ve been ****ing a zombie. But they keep me not just functional but actually warm.

Provided it’s actually cold that is, they’re horrific if it’s not.

I’ll try some of these others myself though, wish the Lokis didn’t have pads on!

scotroutes

Yeah, they really don’t need them due to the thickness and feel of the neoprene.

They’re bound to pop up in a sale soon. I’m sure I paid less than £15 for them last year.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Have looked at the Galibier ones for the last few winters and when I went to buy them they were always sold out so very popular. Just ordered a pair and only 7 pairs left in XL 😯

enigmas
    Free Member

+1 for the 100% gloves.

Not waterproof as neoprene but keeps you warm, and most importantly the palm is super thin like a normal glove so you can actually hold onto the bars.

They aren’t really warm but held up well during a traditionally very wet antur uplift last week. The fingers are weirdly long though, there’s a lot of excess material but don’t notice it on the bike.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Glacier are ace, NW pretty much nails them, briskers are shite in the wet (and my orange ones look completely washed out) and I bought pogies about 3 years ago, not been cold enough to try them yet!.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Left field cheap as chips option! I have had a pair of Indigo neoprene gloves for 3 years and never had cold hands, wet yes, cold no and I ride all the way through winter.

Indigo Neoprene

They get hammered in the reviews mainly because they are not waterproof as claimed. For 4 quid you can chuck-em in the bin if you don’t like them.

Kryton57

If anyone wants a pair of Orange sealskin neoprene gloves you can have them, just cover the postage and thier yours.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Another Brisker fan.. unless it gets really cold

fudge9202
    Free Member

Anyone review the Galibier ones I’ve just bought

submarined
    Free Member

Another vote for Briskers being crap. I also have naff circulation, and they aren’t much other than an autumn/spring glove. I wore mine this morning at 6am and they were just about right. As above, they’re rubbish when it’s wet as well.

I’m going to try neoprene and the Galibier ones this year, see how I get on. I can cope with being soggy nearly all over, but if my hands and feet get wet and cold it’s misery.

hainman
    Free Member

I suffer Reynaulds and get bad cold hands
    Found the Merino wool liners under the briskers to work well
    Also tried the sealskinz dragon eye gloves and they were good
    Not waterproof but very warm,if really struggling a pair of surgical gloves under the briskers too

submarined
    Free Member

I’ve also been recommended silk liner gloves under other gloves by a lot of people.

lunge

Silk liners under Aldi winter gloves is my deep winter setup. I seldom use this combo but for the odd winter commute it’s spot on. I’ve also started using the Muc-Off Fabric Protect on said gloves which seems to stop them getting water logged.

Saccades
    Free Member

Pearl izumi gloves are great, my pair of deep winter wxb things are finally showing their age after 5 years.

jobro
    Free Member

I find silk liners make all the difference as well. I get mine for £10 in that high street shop called Mountain Warehouse (I think). They also double up as running or general walking gloves (low altitude stuff)

Squirrel

I’ve got the Galibiers. Decently warm, but close to wearing out after one winter of (daily) use.

qwerty
    Free Member

My hands really suffer in the cold, for commuting (often at 6am) through the winter so maybe down to -5 + windchill, can anyone help me decide between a Specialized Element 3 @ £50 & a Carnac Crab glove @ £15 ?

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/6858/2017-element-3-0-gloves/

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCARULCRG/carnac-crab-hand-winter-gloves

Or suggest an alternative ( https://d2plslj6xljffa.cloudfront.net/imgs/products/px/950x600_constWH/CLCARULCRG_P1.jpg?v=bhttps://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/PXLGWL/planet-x–waterproof-crab-hand-winter-glove ), Ta

fudge9202
    Free Member

Hopefully mine will last a bit longer squirrel doing 2 rides a week and a weekend run

lunge

Those who struggle, have you considered ski gloves? They’ll be bulky but warm surely?

Gary_M
    Free Member

We o this every year. For me the best gloves I’ve used are aldi gloves and if it’s really chucking it down I’ll stick a pair of extremities tuff gags on top. For really really cold days I have some of the aldi crab claw gloves. They’re ideal for well below zero with liners under.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I bought a couple of pairs of cheap ski gloves from Millets last year. Total revelation! No more cold hands even when I did 6 hours at minus 6 degrees. Water bottles froze solid though, and my mates headset, gear cables, brakes….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Decathlon do a couple of options, I’ve got their cheaper ones (just bigs gloves from a softshell type material) which are great for riding on the road, commuting etc.

And their proper winter gloves with the zipped vents on the back, great for keeping your hands warm at hip-flask / cake stops.

One VERY important thing to note is if you have cold hands and feet it’s NOT usually your gloves/shoes fault, it’s your body’s response to the cold bringing your core/blood temperature down. So think more about the rest of your layers, like polypropylene base layers to keep your torso, arms, and legs warm, a skullcap of some sort, buff/scarf. If your body has warm blood to pump around (which it should whilst exercising) then it can afford to keep your extremities warm, if you let your arms/legs/head get cold then it will shut off the supply of warm blood to your hands/feet and no amount of insulation will keep them warm if they’re not being warmed in the first place.

Case in point, I sail most of the year in fingerless gloves, but my hands stay warm because I’m wearing a PP baselayer under a 3/5mm wetsuit with a windproof layer on top and a balaclava and don’t suffer with cold hands until the air temp drops down to around freezing despite being far colder/wetter/windchilier.

warpcow
    Free Member

lunge – Member
    Those who struggle, have you considered ski gloves? They’ll be bulky but warm surely?

Maybe I just chose a rubbish pair, but when I did it I found the palms were the weak point in terms of retaining heat.

Briskers are rubbish in actual cold, and I’ve got half-decent circulation. The one time they sort of worked for me was with a pair of latex gloves on under them. They’re decent enough on average autumn night rides, though.

The best (warmest) cycling gloves I have are still some old Planet X insulated softshell things. The fit is weird, but they’re not too bulky, don’t get sweaty, and have worked down to -10 for me.

benp1

In order of warmth for me

Summer gloves
    100% gloves
    Windproof gloves
    Aldi winter gloves
    Lobster gloves
    Pogies with the same gloves above, in the same order

The best solution for me was Pogies for biking in the proper cold, works on flat bars but I haven’t found a cheap pogie solution for drop bars

dedhambike
    Free Member

Hi have Raynaud’s Syndrome in my family and it seems I’ve now got it myself. (causes constriction of blood vessels in extremities when cold and limits blood flow). I’ve had good luck with Bontrager Gloves in the past.

Bontrager RXL Gloves

Very comfortable and not too bulky. I still am able to have good connection with bars/levers etc. while wearing them.

Good luck on your search!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Another vote for 100% Brisker gloves.

Fair warning though, they’re not advertised as being waterproof and they’re not – moddestly splash proof I’d call them, until the 5th or 6th wash and they’re they’re not.

Also by the end of last winter my neon orange 100% gloves were salmon pink 0u% as a lot of the stickers fell off – I’ll get a fresh pair next month or so when it turns grim.

goffy63
    Free Member

Thanks for all the feedback. Its the finger ends and the thumbs thats the serious cold spots, i guess because they aren’t moving much to help circulation. I try shaking them down whilst riding which helps a little.
    Is any of the Gore range any good?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Winter glove recomendations?’ is closed to new replies.