Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Winter gear – quick review and a quick question
  • ashfanman
    Free Member

Had my first properly wet ride today wearing my new Castelli Nanoflex arm warmers. They’re absolutely brilliant. Kept me warm and dry. (My lower arms, at least!) They’re also really long without having to size up – I’m 6’6 and very slim at 12 stone 3, and a L fitted me perfectly, covering right from my wrist to practically my armpit. If any other tall/slim riders are struggling to find warmers that fit properly, I’d suggest giving these a try.

Anyway, the ride also showed me that I really need some other winter/waterproof gear. I’m still wearing normal bibshorts and just a summer jersey with a sleeveless baselayer, and while I was just about warm enough once I really got going, I ended up getting soaked and obviously the temperature will be much lower soon. This will be my first winter as a roadie, so I was hoping to get some advice on tights and shoe covers:

1) With tights, is it best to go padded or padless? Any recommendations for decent ones, preferably with a degree of waterproofing?
    2) I’ve heard that a lot of shoe covers can be pretty fragile. Any recommendations for ones that are both waterproof and really durable?

Thanks!

scotroutes

I like the Endura Elite bibtights. They have waterproof seat and shins to keep the worst of any spray off.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I like the Pro (now branded as Shimano) neoprene overshoes – I’ve had 3 winters out of my pair and they’re still perfect.

Tights-wise – I tend to use padded as if it’s cold enough to need 2 layers, it’s not going to be warm enough to strip down to shorts!

I use the Assos Bonka tights, very expensive but warm as toast down to -10°. Anything warmer and I tend to use Endura Roubaix bib knicks (the majority of my riding).

If you like the Nanoflex (they are brilliant), try the Castelli Gabba rain jersey. Coupled with the armwarmers, a good baselayer and a gillet, you’ve got a top layer that’s perfect for the majority of winter riding in the UK, ie. 5-10° and wet/changeable.

tonyd

My winter kit (some of it only for when it’s really cold):

Helmet liner (old snowboarding jobby, Burton IIRC)
    Buff (standard, fleece are too warm for me)
    Smelly Helly (standard or thicker one)
    Short sleeved jersey (no long sleeved and need pockets)
    Windstopper gilet / Windstopper jacket / Goretex jacket
    Gloves – fingerless, full finger windstopper, or full on winter
    Campag winter bib tights (or bib shorts with/without knee warmers)
    Goretex shorts or just thin touring shorts
    Whatever socks are to hand
    Shoes
    Overshoes

I just bought some Specialized Defrosters for this winter, from the recent PSA.

ashfanman
    Free Member

I like the Pro (now branded as Shimano) neoprene overshoes – I’ve had 3 winters out of my pair and they’re still perfect.

These ones?

Tights-wise – I tend to use padded as if it’s cold enough to need 2 layers, it’s not going to be warm enough to strip down to shorts!

That makes sense. I guess I’m just thinking that if I buy padded, I’d have to buy two pairs, as I usually ride 5-6 days a week and don’t like to wear shorts more than twice without washing them. Whereas I already have three pairs of bibshorts, so if I bought padless I could get away with washing the shorts regularly and then the tights once a week?

I like the Endura Elite bibtights. They have waterproof seat and shins to keep the worst of any spray off.

Sounds good, but I can’t seem to find them. Evans stock the Thermolite, the Equipe and the Stealthlite?

A few other questions I’ve just thought of:

1) Bib tight – feet loops or no feet loops?
    2) Overshoes – zip or no zip?

Oh, and a REALLY stupid question: I assume the tights should go over the overshoes, so that the water doesn’t end up just running down your leg and into your shoes? If so, how would that work with feet loops?

crikey
    Free Member

Get a Castelli Gabba jacket; works as well as the Nanoflex arms, and best in the short sleeve version. It is a jacket for pressing on in though, so has no extra insulation.

I use padless tights with shorts underneath; warmer and more flexible than padded tights and means you aren’t washing them after every ride.

You won’t get waterproof tights. You can get windproof fronted ones, but they feel a bit stiff compared to standard tights. If, and it’s a big if dependent on your determination and/or level of stupidity, you ride in real subzero temps, a pair of padded three quarters under tights can help.

All the above assumes you are using mudguards. If you aren’t, you’re daft.

There are very very few riders with the ability to go out in the wet in the middle of winter and do hours of training while getting hosed with dirty water from the road.

Mudguards in the winter will contribute more to your summer racing than any other piece of kit.

Neoprene overshoes are ok, if you set off with warm feet, and my top tip for making them last is don’t wash them.

Kahurangi

Overshoes over your tights. If it’s so wet that water is running down your tights, you’re going to get wet.

You should have mudguards for icky weather. With removable guards like the Raceblade Long or Crud Road Race there’s no excuse and any rider behind you will be thankful.

Also, feet can get colder on the road than on MTB in my experience.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Mudguards are very much on the list – the Raceblade Longs and Crud Road Races are the two I’m looking at. I assume I’d be okay fitting either to my bike (a Canyon Roadlite)?

I’m going to go into town and try on some tights and overshoes this weekend, but having just looked at Wiggle, some of the DHB stuff looks good and very reasonably priced: neoprene overshoes, and unpadded roubaix tights. I also see that Castelli do Nanoflex tights, but the DHB’s are much cheaper and I’ve been very impressed with the pair of their Aeron bibshorts I bought earlier this year, so I might give them a try.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You won’t get waterproof tights

Endura Stealth are waterproof tights brilliant but about £100

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Winter gear – quick review and a quick question’ is closed to new replies.