Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Winter footwear
  • CalamityJames
    Free Member

I bought some Shimano MW81 boots a few years back, seem to remember Evans had them fairly cheap. Still a fair amount of money for something I only wear a few months of the year, but they are super comfy and pretty warm. As long as they’re put away clean after the winter they’ll last years, so the initial outlay doesn’t seem so high. Some things are worth buying, winter boots should be on that list.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Shimano RW5

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Just purchased a pair of those RW5’s and very nice they are too.

RustySpanner

Hiking boots – place nearby does repairs for some of the big names and has lots of reconditioned boots for not much money. Good stuff, Brasher, Berghaus, Raichle etc.

Usually get a couple of winters out of a pair of Brasher Hillmasters.
    Look amazing with bibtights too.
    🙂

Normal basic SPD shoes with big wooly socks, Sealskinz when it rains, sometimes overshoes on the road.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got Northwave winter road and mtb boots, paired with a decent pair of merino skiing socks and I’m good down to below zero.

TimothyD
    Free Member

Haven’t really ridden during ‘winter’ for two years due to studying or warm winter weather. Baggy 5:10 Spitfire trainers with a pair of Sealskinz winter socks, and a thin pair of walking socks inside those IIRC – with flat pedals.

It’s arctic in Sheffield at the mo so I’ll tell you tomorrow if that still works.

Edit: Aha, Nobeerinthefridge uses the same combination as me.

ThePilot
    Free Member

I found Shimano winter boots pretty useless so I splashed out on a pair of Lake MXZ302 Winter Boots. They were expensive and not as warm as I’d have hoped but still worth it. I wear normal thick wool socks plus a pair of hand knitted type wool socks on top. Lakes run small so I got them three sizes up on my usual size so as to allow me to wear two pairs of wool socks and leave me wiggle room for my toes.
    Not perfect but the best combo I have found.
    Overshoes are a waste of time IMO but I know some people get on with them and it’s a cheaper option obviously.

ThePilot
    Free Member

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Winter footwear’ is closed to new replies.