Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Winter Fat bike Tyre Bargains? Combos?
  • quintet100
    Free Member

Hi
    New to Fat bikes.
    But in need of some tyres.
    Any bargains out there for general mud/winter tyres.
    Thanks

robware
    Free Member

On-one floaters are a good price. £40 a tyre (£30 in brown or white)

I’ve not used them myself, but I hear they’re fairly good at mud.

wwaswas

I found Floaters ok as a rear tyre but they didn’t have enough lateral grip for my liking on mud and wet roots. I ran a Bud at the front last winter but with a Bluto now I’ve dropped to a Nate.

scaredypants

I’ve just received a floater in the post this morning. Only bought one, for the back. Glad I did; doesn’t look like a front tyre really at all

tillydog
    Free Member

I’ve just received a floater in the post this morning.

Eeuw!

russyh
    Free Member

Im running Nates front and rear 120tpi. Pretty happy with them, got clagged up last Tuesday mind and were as useless as every other tyre in those conditions!

scaredypants

ahem, yes, I did wonder when I typed that

Incidentally, just mounted it (that one’s yours for free tilly) and the BANG when it set to the rim ( 😉 ) at about 12 psi scared the living bejeezus out of me

scotroutes

Nate. Or Bud if it will fit.
    Wide tyres float over soft stuff like mud and you need big knobbles to give some bite.

Ignore the cost. It’s no use having a bike you can’t ride and you can remove them again in spring. At the very least, fit one on the front

quintet100
    Free Member

Thanks chaps.
    I’ll start shopping.

STATO
    Free Member

The only 2 crashes ive had this year have been a Bud going from under me in slick mud. Both while trying to ride in a straight line at speed. Both in spots where all my other bikes get through fine. Kind of ruined it for me that unless there was no mud you couldnt use all the extra speed you got in the rough sections.

Its odd as the bud is much better than the Floater i had previously, ive got a Nate to try when i get the bike rebuilt again.

flashes
    Free Member

My Maaxis Mammouth front Endo rear had me on my bottom, 3 feet into my first Dorset holiday ride. They really don’t work well in off camber mud, but to be fair weren’t designed for that and are really good for long all day rides….

rOcKeTdOg

Maxxis mammoth is an old fashioned “semi slick” though, no wonder

Northwind

I figured there’s no point in only going half mental so I got a Bud. Hurt my soul to spend £70 on a tyre for a bike that cost £500 but if your tyres don’t work then your bike doesn’t work so the flipside is it’s basically £30 extra to get the best out of your bike that cost X more than £30. Float and lack of tread equates to pretty total loss of control, I found, you’ll not often find me in a crumpled heap saying “glad I saved that £30 on the tyres though”

There just doesn’t seem to be many bad conditions fatbike tyres for cheap- tons of choice in the dry conditions area. Suppose it’s easier to cater to.

Are the cheaper Nates worth a look? everyone told me to go for the higher tpi and it seems like you do get more, the more you spend but maybe it’s still a worthy option on a budget?

bedmaker

What scotroutes and northwind said really.

Bud is my year round tyre of choice. Nate is also good for mud (possibly better but I like the Bud volume).
    A mate runs Van helgas and it’s also a great tyre for soft going.

The right tyres are key on a fatbike.
    Don’t mess about, find the extra £40 or whatever and get good ones, high TPI. You won’t regret it, they last ages.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Winter Fat bike Tyre Bargains? Combos?’ is closed to new replies.