Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • winter commuting tyre advice
  • adamsmithoutdoors
    Free Member

Hi commuting 15 miles on country lanes. Slicks are getting hairy on the ice, should I put knobbles back on the MTB or get something like the US style winter tyres???
    Advice and brands wanted
    🙂
    Adam

dmiller
    Free Member

in my experience you might as well stick with slicks for the commute – MTB chunky tyres offer no more grip in ice than a slick and will annoy you on non-icy bits…

If its icy enough to worry you perhaps pick a different route?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Has anyone used ice /snow tyres with carbide/steel spikes?
    What he says above is true – knobbly give grip in snow but not ice.

dmiller
    Free Member

What he says above is true – knobbly give grip in snow but not ice.

Finally someone agrees with me about something on STW. I have printed this and will keep it forever! 😀

As for the spiky tyres – I reckon they would just wear out in no-time on normal roads?

allthepies
    Free Member

>As for the spiky tyres – I reckon they would just wear out in no-time on normal roads?

I think the idea it that you only fit them when there's a prolonged icy period underway, like now 🙂 A mate has a pair and the metal studs are quite subtle and would last some time I reckon.

EccentricEllis

Heya adamsmithoutdoors.

What you should do is get some Panaracer Ribmo's.
    My brother uses these all the time to ride to school and back which is about 5-6 miles away.

He is a novice rider but is coping very well on the icey bits, not fallen off once!

They're very good tyres and are super fast on normal roads and can cope easily with gravel and such.

Here is a pic on the bike.

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=554a73f099&view=att&th=125b2bd4dc1a054a&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

Here is a review
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/tyres/product/ribmo-tyre-32125

Here is where you can buy them
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Panaracer_RibMo_Folding_MTB_Tyre/5360043622/

I highly recommend them.

Failing that, lower the pressure of your current tyres, this will increase the surface area and will inturn increase grip and drag.

nosemineb
    Free Member

I am using the Schwalbe snow stud at the moment and they seem pretty good. Very heavy tho and they add a good bit of time to my commute although some of this is down to the condition of the roads and that they only have 30 psi in them. I am lucky enough to have more than 1 bike so i only use them in ice or snow or when i am expecting it.
    last friday was a good test for them on an untreated very hardpacked snow /icey road and hilly to. You can feel them digging in when you lock the back wheel where usually it would just slide.
    Shame there so heavy!

molgrips
    Free Member

Get some studs. They are ace 🙂 I have some Nokian studded knobblies (considering going out on them tonight actually) which make riding on ice like riding on dry hardpack. You can also get slicks with studs, in 700c as well. My knobblies are no better than normal knobblies in snow but you at least aren't worried about hitting a patch of ice 🙂

gothandy

Have just got back from my 9 mile commute, must have passed 3 or 4 cars stuck on the hills so fair to say it was icy.

So I must disagree with statement that knobbly tyres don't give any additional grip over slicks, I definitly felt much better grip on with my standard panaracer fire xc pro's over the continental grand prix I was using just a couple of days ago on much less ice.

So go on put your knobbly's on they are better on ice, and if there is a hint of snow you should be flying along.

EccentricEllis

The only reason they'd be better is because they're wider, more surface area. However if you were to compare with a slick of the same width, it'd be miles better as it would have more tyre in contact with the ground.

Again running a lower pressure does help, but then again it depends how confident you are and how you position your body. To far forward, you'll spin, too far back you'll not be able to steer correctly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘winter commuting tyre advice’ is closed to new replies.