Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Winter commuting – cold feet
  • Pz_Steve

… literally, not metaphorically.

It’s weird, for first few miles of my ride my hands get colder and colder to the point where I can’t change gear, but by about mile 5 they’re returning to normal(ish) temp. My feet, though, start ok and just get colder and colder and colder. By the time I get to work / home they’ve gone through the painfully cold stage and are just completely numb, even though the rest of me is generally pretty warm. There’s plenty of climbing on my route but even when I’m working hard they’re just like two lumps of ice at the end of my legs.

I’ve tried lots of combinations of socks. Currently wearing thin merino pop socks under mid-length sealskins. I even pre-warm my shoes and socks before putting them on (not sure I should admit to this!), but nothing seems to make much difference.

Not sure whether it’s the shoes (Specialized Primos), socks, or just me (I remember having painfully cold feet as a kid, clearing snow off the drive). Any suggestions?

simondbarnes

Are your shoes too tight with 2 pairs of socks on?
    Try using overshoes.

tod456
    Free Member

as said overshoes if your on a budget, but the best thing i’ve brought for winter riding is winter boots …
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-mw81-gore-tex-spd-winter-mountain-bike-boots/?

and when it’s below zero i put these one two …. http://www.heatpacksuk.co.uk/toe-warmers/heat-factory-toe-warmer-40-pairs.php

turbo1397
    Free Member

I have exactly the same problem.. glad I’m not alone! Tried all sorts of combo’s but no thing’s worked so far.. Following this with interest..

richmars

Same as you Steve, hands’warm up’ after a few miles, but feet just get colder. Only solution for me is overshoes, which (I think) reduce the wind chill, plus thick socks, but not too thick.

lemonysam
    Free Member

+1 to both bits of what simondbarnes said. overshoes keep the wind off the gap between troos and shoes which makes a massive difference to keeping your feet warm.

velomanic
    Free Member

Overshoes solved the problem for me (put them on before you put your shoes on – makes it a lot easier!). Duct-tape over any vents on your shoes too.

MoreCashThanDash

Winter boots with room for one warm and/or thick pair of socks or two thin pairs. Overshoes help a bit but I’m not totally convinced.

Last year I tried thermal insoles as well, but it never got cold enough to test it properly, and this year I knackered my back before I got the chance to get the spiky ice tyres fitted.

I keep reading good things about Raphas winter socks, I may try them if they ever have them in the sale.

Pz_Steve

Great replies, folks – thanks.

The shoes’ sizing ought to be ok as I deliberately bought a size larger than I normally take (tried them on with my sealskins on, in fact). I agree they’re far from windproof though, although I was hoping the sealskins would negate the windchill.

Also glad I’m not alone…!

gren
    Free Member

Gonna try some of those toe warmers. Went out on a 3.5hr mtb ride with the missus yesterday – zero degrees for thwe whole ride. She had on : Gore Alp-x winter socks, Woolie Boolies, her Shimano spds and then MT500 overshoes.

Even with that lot on her feet were numb. Not sure what more she could do short of splurging on some winter boots!?

flashes
    Free Member

A very cheap option, plaic sandwich bags over socks, worked for me.
    However I bought a pair of Shimano Goretex boots. Nice……….

tod456
    Free Member

my theory is that ….. winter boots have thicker soles, so heat isn’t lost through them. If look at normal shoes the cleat is bolted to a metal plate under the sole, which just conducts heat out of the sole… it’s just a theory.

smatkins1
    Free Member

As a different approach perhaps look beyond your feet.

As your core body temperature decreases your body reduces the amount of blood flow to its extremes, i.e. your hands and feet.

So you could try wrapping up else where to keep your overall body temperature up. Something on your head under your helmet might just be what you need to keep your feet a bit warmer.

Pz_Steve

As a different approach perhaps look beyond your feet.

As your core body temperature decreases your body reduces the amount of blood flow to its extremes, i.e. your hands and feet.

So you could try wrapping up else where to keep your overall body temperature up. Something on your head under your helmet might just be what you need to keep your feet a bit warmer.

Yeah, I thought about the whole connected-up-ness thing. But as my hands (and ears!) get really cold and then warm back up as the ride goes on, I figured my core temperature was ok. I’m certainly a hot, gasping wreck when I get home each night, just with freezing feet. That said, my feet start to get really cold about the same time as my hands warm up, so perhaps I just don’t have enough blood! Good job my brain isn’t using much, for most of the ride…

Tod – Interesting thought about the cleat being an effective heat sink. Hadn’t thought of that.

Rorschach – thanks for the link. I missed that one!

ETA: Don’t know if it’s relevant, but my feet are warmer pushing a high cadence at speed along the flat than when out of the saddle churning up hills, even with the extra wind-chill.

langylad
    Free Member

Steve, I’ve suffered from the same problem on the road bike for years, tried all the socks, boots, overshoes etc with no real improvement. Last year however I tried merino socks, sandwich bag over these, my normal riding shoes (ie summer ones with a bit of room in), but with battery powered heated insoles in. You can get them on ebay for about 20 quid, and the battery packs strap to your calves so wires don’t get in the way. Combine this with neoprene overshoes, and it is by far and away the best solution for me.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Winter commuting – cold feet’ is closed to new replies.