• This topic has 25 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Winter Commuter Jackets under £100.
  • mickolas
    Free Member

Looking at the DHB Flashlight Highline:

here

Is this the best for under £100? Please advise.

MoreCashThanDash

Not sure on pricing nowadays but my Altura Night Vision Evo has been going strong for 3-4 years now. Has survived miles of commuting in all weathers and at least one episode of tarmac surfing without any visible damage.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I got one of these recently, it’s been great so far. It’s kind of a softshell-hardshell halfway house but warm, breathable and a good rear pocket. absolute steal at £45.

http://startcycles.co.uk/sale/savings/half-price/craft-performance-bike-stretch-cycling-jacket-1901620.html

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mickolas
    Free Member

Thanks guys. If I may ask:

MoreCashThanDash – how breathable/boil-in-the-bag do you find the Night Vision Evo?

lemonysam – how waterproof/leaky do you find the Craft?

lemonysam
    Free Member

lemonysam – how waterproof/leaky do you find the Craft?

I find that after an hour or so of solid rain I feel like it’s got through but I’ve never actually seen any evidence when I take it off so I might just have been imagining it. Stays warm too.

Review here:
    http://road.cc/content/review/111197-craft-mens-performance-bike-stretch-jacket

Mine doesn’t ride up like the reviewer’s – maybe my arse is bigger.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

long sleeve base layer, long sleeve jersey, gilet either a soft-shell one or a thinner windproof fronted one, not been cold yet, and it was -3, foggy and frosty on Tuesday morning, cold? pedal quicker

that DHB thing looks like you’d boil in it

mickolas
    Free Member

Thanks lemonysam,

My commute is around the 1 hour mark and I do ride hard enough to arrive sweaty no matter the season. I’m really liking the sounds of the Craft, esp at that price.

I should probably add that I’m looking for something waterproof and breathable (isn’t everyone?) with some insulation but a fairly close fit. Emphasis on close-fit, warmish, breathable. I can live with having to carry a light waterproof shell, if the main jacket is not torrent-proof.

Pockets are nice but not essential. Hoods are completely unnecessary for me.

mjsmke

Have a look in Decathlon. I know it’s not a fashionable name but they do some good kit. I picked up a breathable waterproof jacket for £50 that, when all the vents are zipped up, keeps me warm too.

johnnystorm

http://www.merlincycles.com/funkier-tpu-waterproof-windproof-jacket-2013-55529.html

2014 is £70, making this a bargain. I found my night vision Evo to not be that waterproof or breathable and the fit is a bit like a windsock. This has a proper cycling fit.

MoreCashThanDash

After 4 years it’s not as breathable or waterproof as it was. I’d assume current models would be better anyway.

That said, it gets used mainly in the winter with one or two thin layers underneath. I’ve not drowned or melted in it yet. And other cyclists are still commenting on how bright it is under car headlights.

simon_g

Endura Windchill II here. Don’t think it would do so well in a downpour but it’s been fine in lighter rain for an hour or so. Underarm zips if it gets too hot, and the back isn’t windproof so lose a bit of excess heat there.

mickolas
    Free Member

Thanks everyone – some great suggestions there. I’m going to have to get round a few shops and try some on.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Oh and by the by there was a ten percent off start cycles code on here the other day

mickolas
    Free Member

Just been in Evans and quite like:

Specialized pro racing long sleeve jersey £90 (not keen on all that logo though)
    Gore bike wear element windstopper jacket £95 (though up at £107 in-store)
    Altura Transformer windproof long sleeve jersey £72

So there’s a two-in-three chance I don’t want a jacket at all!

(opinions/experience on any of the above would be welcomed)

brakes
    Free Member

Bioracer? Lovely jackets with fancy reflective pixel fabrics.
    There’s a winter version too but it’s over your budget.
    Bioracer Spitfire

drovercycles
    Free Member

Lots of windproofs and jerseys mentioned above – are you looking for a proper (waterproof?) jacket OP? If so Altura Night Vision Evo as mentioned would be a good call. They’re usually £100 but reduced to £79.99 in a lot of places (including with us) right now – lots of features, decent material, very high vis (although not all are ugly looking). Good value at £100, bargain at £80.

snownrock

Hump Signal or Strobe are very good and well under budget

dknwhy

Loads of Berghaus goretex jackets on Sportpursuit.

Sportpursuit

mrchrispy

merino LS base layer + gore phantom will do me down to the low single digits.
    throw on a gore waterproof and you are good for any weather.
    done me for years and years, layers roxor

mickolas
    Free Member

Really appreciate all this advice.

ATM I’m swinging towards the craft PB stretch jacket (and something like a pearl izumi barrier for heavier rain)

I was hoping to find one single jacket that would cover all winter conditions (ie breathable but proof against downpours), but I think that’s not going to happen in my budget.

My current “best” jacket is a Madison Telegraphe (too loose fit, too sweaty and I get wet arms when it rains, but still tolerable) and I think the night vision evo and the humps suggested would be similar in fit and breathability (hope I’m not being unfair to them). My “warm” jacket is an Aldi Winter cycling jacket which I really appreciate on the coldest days. I also really appreciate the coldest days in this jacket because they avoid the sweatiness of the milder days that are still too cool for just a (aldi) winter jersey.

I’m well up for layering, and could do with better base layers (bought my first merino base layer tonight from…you guessed it…aldi) as most of my bases are standard thermal undergarment tops from George at Asda. Looked at the gore phantom and would love one, but my internal pauper keeps telling to buy the Craft. And my external pauper agrees with me.

Anyway…going to check out the Decathlon stock tomorrow

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

THe new Hump signal jacket looks brilliant for £75

peekay

Really not impressed with my Altura Nightvision Evo that I bought last winter.

I have found that the front zip jams really easily and is very stiff meaning it is a 2 hand job to adjust whilst riding. The sealing around the two main pockets has come off meaning that nothing can be securely kept in the pockets without it falling out the sides.

I use it for both MTB and road commuting an find that it holds on to mud, dirt and smells a lot more than a normal goretex etc shell as the outer fabric is ‘soft’ rather than ‘shiny’.

Still wear it but TBH I expected slightly more from a £100 jacket.

I may have just had a bad one though as most reviews are more positive than mine.

mickolas
    Free Member

Just ordered the Craft peformance bike stretch from startcycles, along with Orca velo torque merino bib longs and a Scott minus pro gilet.

Will report back with opinion after a bit of use.

vincienup
    Free Member

I love my regular Night Vision.

If you keep the pit zips closed on warmer days it’s sweaty. The pit zips fix this if you use them.

It’s pleasant to wear in sub zero conditions.

Niggles: pockets are crap. Sleeves are too tight to push up if you want to. Body could be a touch longer for me – but it’s perfectly OK as is and keeps me dry. I think I’d need to spend a lot more to iron out these niggles… I’ve often wondered if the Evo would have been worth the extra…

vincienup
    Free Member

Also, the outer survives impact and skid on oily icy tarmac really well… 😮

If it’s just cold and I’m not expecting snow, sleet or rain, I just wear a Decathlon winter running top for commute, tbh… I’m a lot pickier about what I wear for off road in terms of layering and stuff.

benp1

I have the DHB EQ2.5 – http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-eq25-waterproof-cycling-jacket/

I’ve found it pretty good, I’ve worn it with a base layer or a jersey/baselayer combo for winter commuting. The pit zips are very useful, and I haven’t found it massively sweaty, it certainly stops the wind. I’ve only worn it in light rain and I was fine

I’d say that flashlight job will be great, I probably would have got that if it was available and was a good price.

Mind you, I quite like that my jacket is a bit stealth. If I wanted something bright for commuting a yellow version would probably be better

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Winter Commuter Jackets under £100.’ is closed to new replies.