Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Winter boots recommendation
  • wurzelcube
    Free Member

I’m looking for a new pair of winter boots for general cross country and trail centre duties. Am thinking Shinano MW7 / Specialized Defrosters/Norteave Celsius Artic etc.

Any recommendations? I’ve read various owner reviews on CRC, Wiggle etc and they seem vary from very ooor to excellent – I’m not expecting to be able to stand in a river for ten minutes and still have dry feet but do want a boot that will keep the driving rain out and keep my feet warm.

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

I’ve got defrosters and they are really comfy, feet stay dry and warm although I haven’t had them out in proper cold yet. The boa lacing system is good and is easy to tighten, no laces means no uncomfy bundles of laces at the front.
    Also have 45north japanther shoes for the mtb and if I had to buy again I’d just go for a mtb pair of defrosters and save a hundred quid.
    Got the defrosters for 100 pounds about 2 months ago.

alwillis

Got a pair of northwaves in a sale last year (ones with the quick pull laces) and they have been awesome in the mtb. This year I’ve invested in the boa versions for the road which are even better- they feel like my normal road shoes but are warm and waterproof.

I hear that northwave as a brand are pretty wide- I have stubby flipper wide feet so they suit me!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Lake 146 for wet but mild, or 303s for very cold weather. Standard fitting or wide if you have flippers. Nothing else I’ve tried even comes close.
    Available online from Halfords.

bruneep

http://www.evocycles.co.uk/m3b0s377p5192/BONTRAGER-OMW-(Old-Man-Winter)

Not just for old men

Best winter boots I’ve ever bought

plus-one

I’ve got a pair of north wave gtx on the way from probikekit £106 in sale 🙂

http://m.probikekit.co.uk/sports-footwear/northwave-celsius-2-gtx-winter-boots-camo/black/11360656.html

Also available in black/red 😉

z1ppy

I suffer with cold feet, wish I’d bought some lakes 303’s years ago, instead of just last year

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Had some of the early Defrosters and was unimpressed. Maybe the latest versions have improved? Anyway, I’ve been using the NW Artics (drawstring version, not BOA) for about 3 or 4 years now. All good. I run Spesh insoles in them though as the NW ones are poor/thin/basic.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Shimano MW81s with good socks still going strong and doing their job after quite a few years here.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

I’d get Northwave Celsius again. Good fit for my feet and reasonably warm with some nice socks on. My wife has the Arctic version and now comes riding in the cold winter months – that speaks volumes. She used to use the Shimano ones but never had warm feet and avoided riding in the cold.

Few grumbles about them:
    The sole doesn’t seem to catch shimano spds like my other shoes. 2 or 3 times a ride (and embarrassingly, once at the start of an enduro stage straight into a rock garden), I try to clip in ‘normally’ and my foot slides to the heal or straight off without clipping in.
    You also need to wear short socks with the cuff done very tight to stop water dripping down your leg and straight in. Guessing this is similar for most boots though.

I tried several different sizes in the Defrosters and nothing fit my wide feet. The correct length was too narrow. The correct width was about 2 inch too long!
    Similar wit the Shimano fit – too long and narrow for me feet.

Quite like the look of those Bonty boots with the built in gaiter.

Duc
    Free Member

Lake MXz303 for me – didn’t want to take them off when I got to work this morning my feet were so warm.
    Shredded 80 quids wirth of overshoes already this year so these won’t take long to pay back.

Available in wide sizes too for those of flipper feet like me

Gary_M
    Free Member

Another vote for lake mxz303. I got a pair a couple of weeks ago and they are very, very good. Keep the cold out and they’re very comfortable.

Not had a proper rainy ride in them yet so can’t vouch for their waterporofness.

Halfords sell them so if you can wait till they do a 10% off offer and join british cycling for another 10% saving the price isn’t that bad.

I had to go up a size though, I’m usually a size 9 in everything but with thick socks on these were tight.

ransos
    Free Member

You also need to wear short socks with the cuff done very tight to stop water dripping down your leg and straight in. Guessing this is similar for most boots though.

Agreed. It’s pretty difficult to seal the gap IME – I think some gaiters might be the answer.

SimonR

Used the older Shimano ones for years and they were pretty good – bit of a faff to get into though. Also not much room around the toes.

Been using the Northwave Arctics through last winter – they’re much warmer, easier to get into and adjust and there’s more toe wriggle room. However, soles don’t offer much grip and they take ages to get dry after a soaking.

Tried the Specialized ones in a shop – couldn’t get my fat feet into them without sizing up to clown-shoe sizes 🙂

On balance I’d still go for the Northwaves.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

another vote for northwave celcius Im on my second pair. A few of my rididng mates have them too all fairly impressed. Always look for sales!

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Thanks all for the feedback.

NorthCountryBoy – do you have the Celsius or Celsius Artic? I’ve got some wiggle vouchers to use up so may limit my options to shoes they sell – currently they only have the Celcius in my size.

Like the look of the Lakes but at £200 more than I want to spend at the monent.

vorlich
    Free Member

The Lakes are great. I have ended up with wet feet in them, but I was pushing the trail from Barisdale to Kinloch Hourn. The trail was running with water. I wrung out the insoles and changed socks at KH, warmed up again instantly. They dried out overnight at the hostel without much effort.

alwillis

On the gaiter subject I have a plan to cut the leg part off a battered pair of velotoze overshoes to try and seal the top of my northwaves. The velotoze are fairly snug over bare legs, so should be a decent fit over tights/ boots.

verbboy
    Free Member

Old Man Winters are excellent, always suffered from cold feet, these stopped that in proper cold conditions.

scotroutes

OMW’s also have a little loop above the toes for hooking a gaiter on to.

jruk
    Free Member

I’m happy with my MW81s and two pairs of merino socks (one long, one short). I’m sure there are warmer / drier boots out there but I guess it depends on how cold you get / where you’re planning on riding.

Bucko

No votes for Mavics then? I bought a pair a couple months ago in the sale for £65 but I haven’t needed to use them yet

joaoam
    Free Member

I’ve got ones Northwave Gran Canyon GTX of 2014 and they’re pretty fine, but I think they won’t be so fine for snow.
    I always use them with sealskins

joaoam
    Free Member

Delete

plus-one

Glad I got mine ordered Monday (northwave gtx2). probikekit ain’t got many left 🙁

Clobber
    Free Member

also add that previous defrosters are pants…

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Winter boots recommendation’ is closed to new replies.