Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • winter boots for the workshop
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Evening…

Setting up for a winter working in the unheated, drafty workshop. What would people suggest as a good warm boot for someone who suffers from very cold feet
    Cheers

sweepy
    Free Member

My Mrs has really cold feet, I got her a pair of these
    boots
    She reckons they are comfy and super warm, they are also well cheap but by god they’re plugly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Good socks, sorting the draft and a heater

TooTall
    Free Member

Sort the draft and get some old carpet / mat to stand on.

colournoise

Block drafts.
    Decent little heater.
    Aldi fur-lined rigger boots.

EDIT. I have Reynaud’s Syndrome, so know all about cold feet…

Northwind

Aye, I got a couple of tubes of cheap silicon goop and gummed up most of the gaps in our fairly crap garage, it’s still a bit leaky around the door but it used to be pretty much like working outside. Put it another way, warmth of my feet is never an issue in sensible normal shoes, my hands freeze solid long before that

daftvader
    Free Member

Unfortunately the workshop is my garage and the door needs to stay openable so drafts will be there to stay. Wellies or their ilk are of no use, my feet even get cold in seetek boots if I’m standing around too much. Anyone had some of the tnf or similar winter boots?
    Northwind I’m the complete opposite, hands stay warm feet freeze. Just spent the last 11 years as a postie so used to the outside but know when I’m stationary my feet suffer.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My dad has had lined wellies for the farm, but good socks make a huge difference. As above though finding a better way to stop the drafts would help. Any good reason the door needs to stay open? How long are you going to be in there?
    Carpet on the floor might help, maybe even a big roll over the door way. After that space heater?

nealglover
    Free Member

Ice Diamond ID503 – just buy some, you won’t regret it !

I’ve got really poor circulation in my feet due to previous injuries, and they freeze in winter working outdoors all day.

These boots are fantastic and also really comfy.

Made for all day freezer work, so if you get cold feet wearing these, there is something seriously wrong (check your heart hasn’t stopped!)

timidwheeler

I got some North face boots for Christmas. They have down filled uppers with nice soft insulated soles. I think they were about £30 but will last forever. They are so comfy I use them as winter round the house slippers.

daftvader
    Free Member

Mikew… The door won’t be open, just needs to be openable so blocking the drafts on a permanent basis won’t work. I’ll be in there 6-8hrs a day. Neilglover… Those look absolutely perfect, and a reasonable price. Thanks for that!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Surely you could get rubber seals for the edges though?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Wear some thermal Long Johns too. There’s no point in having insulated feet if your blood is frozen solid before it reaches them.
    And wear a hat!

daftvader
    Free Member

Squirrelking… I’m looking into that…
    Seb… I’ve got all those bases covered but my feet always suffer

qwerty
    Free Member

For £10 Halfords sell a set of 6 interlocking garage floor mats, works a treat, I initially brought one set and have just expanded it with another.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

+1 for floormats and good socks.

Merino socks + floormats = wear whatever else on your feet that is comfortable/safe to do so for the type of work that you do (and the time spent on feet.)

daftvader
    Free Member

OK… The draft excluding stuff front toolstation is dirt cheap, the floor mats from halfords (if they are fire retardant) and the boots from flexitog. Thanks for all the help chaps! 8)

nealglover
    Free Member

…..and the boots from flexitog..

You will be opening the draught excluded door to let some air in as your feet will be too warm 😉

daftvader
    Free Member

Neil… In my experience that’ll never happen!! 😆

househusband

Infra-red heater..?

allfankledup

Sports pursuit are selling some sort of plug in insoles to keep your feet warm

Or to electrocute you in a warner bros stylee

daftvader
    Free Member

I’ve tried that sort of thing before, years ago and found them a bit hit and miss, tried the teabag type of warmer too…

CountZero

Have a look on eBay for felt insoles, much nicer than foam insoles, and dirt cheap.

Squirrel

“Drafts” 🙄 Please, draughts. Carry on.

daftvader
    Free Member

Sorry squirrel… My dyspraxic brain can’t tell the difference… 😐

seadog101

Kamik boots, Canadian winter stuff. http://www.spartoo.co.uk/KAMIK-SOUTHPOLE2-x394080.php

Sort of live in mine from November to April.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Bit late but after many many years trashing work boots/steel toes on sites in middle of winter in snow hail and oil etc ive found bucklers hard as nails range to be amazing… Pricey but have a lifetime warranty on the stiching “body and soul togeather forever” is their motto and i bagged a 30 quid pair off ebay ex display. Comfiest and most durable boots ive ever had stood for a few hours in snow on a roof in pissing hale in whitby few years ago on wetherspoons roof installing ducting… Piss wet and cold but my feet were cosy and bone dry had em 4 years now and still look like a few weeks old 🙂

cakefacesmallblock

My garage / workshop sounds very similar. With draughts where it’s impossible to fill because of how the ( old) up n over door has to work.

Fitted a brush type draught excluder to the lower edge of the door though.

Carpeted the whole thing with old carpet, when we replaced some in the house and use an old hearth rug for where I mostly stand.

I bought a pair of real cheap heavily padded skate shoes, deliberately a size too big. I wear those with wool winter walking socks and have cut a layer of bubble wrap and put it under the insole. I have another similar pair of socks which I leave in the house, when I come back in to get another brew on, I change the socks, for the warm ones.

I notice a huge difference if I just gout out here for an hour or so in ordinary socks and trainers.

Depending how cold a day it is, I just layer up, thermal base inc long johns, wool jumper, jeans , beanie. A boiler suit and body warmer too, on real nippy ones.

My feet probably stay warmer at 2degs in the garage than they do on winter rides.

avdave2

daftvader
    Free Member

I won’t be able to use carpet or anything flammable in the workshop as I will be dealing with metal at 800 degree’s plus, and all Tue sparks from working with the steel. I will be getting some draft excluder this weekend and probably a rubber seal for the floor of the door as it let’s in the rain occasionally. Will have a look at these bucklers boots, but tge flexitog ones are winning atm.
    Avdave… I do need to be able to walk around 😆

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘winter boots for the workshop’ is closed to new replies.