Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Winter Boots
  • stayhigh

Morning all,
    The time has come for me to replace my aged and much loved Northwave Celsius, the question is with what? I have reservations about the current design in that the neoprene sock looks like it could be a bit of a menace to put on and have seen reviews suggesting this is prone to tearing. The Shimano MW0702 look pretty sensible and where my thoughts are leaning.
    What other options are there?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Lake 146, if you can still get them. The importer, who weren’t much cop anyway, went tits up last year…

I’ve had mine for about ten years and they’re still going strong. Need a new set of Boas , but they’re pennies….

oceanskipper

+1 Lakes – Salt Dog Cycling sell them.

Kryton57

I’d go for Lakes as my first option, but as I couldn’t get any at the time I need them I got a pair of Scott Heater’s a few years back which have been superb.   Slightly less warm than the Lakes I had previously therefore demanding a thicker than normal sock on really cold days, but I’d argue the quality is a little higher.   

matt_outandabout

I didn’t like my Lakes.

No insulation in the sole and a waterproof upper with holes for SPD plate made no sense – so they were cold and wet.

I’m now in Shimano MW5’s – noticeably warmer, properly waterproof and generally more comfy for me.

oceanskipper

Isn’t the waterproof membrane underneath the SPD fitting on the Lakes? Bit daft if it isn’t. I’ve got some MXZ200s which I use on flats (they have an SPD fitting but you cut the sole to access it). I asked if it compromised the waterproofing and was told no. I was thinking of cutting it out now I’ve switched to SPD – either that or sell them and get some dedicated SPD so was looking at Lakes again. How wide are the Shimanos? 

wait4me

I picked up a pair of Fizik Terra Artika on a 50% PSA a few months ago. Certainly look the part but yet to be tested.

benos

I just bought some overshoes for my Lake MX 242. Not ideal but I don’t have many option for my feet, and they were only £25. 

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

“I didn’t like my Lakes.

No insulation in the sole and a waterproof upper with holes for SPD plate made no sense – so they were cold and wet.”

Really? How old were they?

Mine, summer and winter pairs, are fully sealed at the sole,  no cutting required, and the insulation is top notch, silvery and pockety, needing only thin socks.

Kramer
    Free Member

I’ve got Shimano MW7s, sized up so I can fit goretex socks inside. They work well.

Del

Need a new set of Boas , but they’re pennies

They’re free. Get on to the boa website.

kevin_hodgson

Get some more Northwaves. They have several winter shoe models with different amounts of insulation and different soles. They also have double finger pull loops on the cuff so no danger of a ripped cuff. I got the model with the proper rubber sole and Arctic fake fur lining. Definitely as warm as my 45nrth, which now only get used for winter rides with hike & bike. The Northwave are also a lot stiffer and lower volume than my Wolvhammer, so still suitable for road riding, as well as MTB.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Not northwave raptors. Mine leaked from new, as did my mates. My ten year old shimano mw81 are still more waterproof 

mick_r

MW81s finally fell apart so I’ve just had a first week of MW5s after trying on lots of different models.

Cheap ish with no boas to go wrong. Length sizing is now normal rather than having to go up one (there is over 1cm length difference comparing my 43 MW5 insole with Mrs’ MW81). Reflective outer is good.

The cons are they are narrower and dryshield is noticeably sweatier than Goretex (damp after every ride and smell already).

Best for comfort were the Lakes in wide fit, but the Boa setup was very over complicated and the sole not very walkable.

oceanskipper

IME nothing stops the water running down my legs and into the shoe/boot anyway. Even with some GripGrab neoprene gaiters under my leggings and over the boot opening water still gets in. My MXZ200s are toasty warm though – I’ve been out in -10 windchill and they are fine with Woolie Boolie socks on. Trouble with the MXZ200s is that they are able to be used on flats so have an optional SPD cut out but also they have really long laces.

MX146 are only rated down to -4 and the MXZ304s are good for -14!

stayhigh

Thanks for all the replies, am on shift will have a proper catch up in a bit.

swanny853

IME nothing stops the water running down my legs and into the shoe/boot anyway.

A decent set of MTB trousers is the single biggest upgrade you can make to winter boots. Make sure the trousers overlap the boot cuff, drop to a lighter under layer on the legs and enjoy warm dry legs. Nukeproof blacklines are nice and light.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I managed to find some MW81 on eBay, like new. Looking forward to some winter gravel rides now once it’s cold enough.

matt_outandabout

How old were they?

I had two pairs – first must have been around a 2008/9 model second hand, next pair were maybe 2015ish model I think 217 model number?

They were superbly comfortable and durable – just seemed poor design.

mmannerr

I’m not super happy with MW7s, they don’t hold my foot properly on more technical trails. They are also not very warm but that’s just my feet which have been frozen too many times.

Good rubber soles and roomy fit are best features on them.

superstu
    Free Member

Pleased with the mw5’s I’ve recently picked up which have had plenty of wet rides already, although none really cold. I think the fact you can Velcro up the neoprene sock part is important for me as I have teeeny tiny ankles so can get a closer fit than some of the one size fits all ones which would be a bit baggy for my pencil legs.

Normally a size ten and the 45’s have plenty of toe room, much better than old shimanos. I have narrow feet fwiw

mick_r

Old MW81 on top of new MW5. Both size 43…..

IMG_20231007_131803_865

stayhigh

@kevin_hodgson

Get some more Northwaves. They have several winter shoe models with different amounts of insulation and different soles. They also have double finger pull loops on the cuff so no danger of a ripped cuff.

Good to know as that was my big issue with them design. Haf to go half a size up with my old ones, ow true to size do you find them?

fossy

I have MW7;’s in 44 and RW5’s (road) in 43. 44 for MTB as usually wearing thicker socks or waterproof socks in real bad weather.

Had the MW7’s a good few years and really wished I’d bought some years before. I picked the RW5’s up off ebay for a great price.

kevin_hodgson

@stayhigh

I went one euro size up. Mine are actually a slightly older model with only 1 finger pull on the cuff, but I noticed that the following year they went to 2 finger pulls.

All of the plus point of my old Celsius which I’d had for years – like properly waterproof and stiff enough sole for road biking. But these new versions have a walkable rubber sole (although still not bike & hike cos the sole is too stiff) plus the extra warmth from getting the fur lined version instead of the normal version. The old type sole still seems to be available BTW if you prefer that.

My wolvhammers aren’t getting much use now…

belugabob
    Free Member

Need a new set of Boas , but they’re pennies….

Boa replace the laces/dials free of charge, via their website. Have had several sets, over the years, and never paid a penny.

highlandman
    Free Member

First ride today with a new pair of Endura waterproof MT500 Burner. Ok, early days but I am impressed so far. Easy enough getting in and out; sizing seems correct and they kept the simply biblical weather out for a full hour until eventually overwhelmed.

I like the combination of fastenings and the neoprene cuff doesn’t seem too vulnerable. If I were to change anything, it would be to make them about 1mm wider for my admittedly wide feet.   Nothing is ever going to be perfect but these are a good compromise.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Northwave Celsius & a shoehorn – zero danger of ripping the cuff.

stayhigh

Good thinking that man!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member
    belugabob

Free Member

Need a new set of Boas , but they’re pennies….

“Boa replace the laces/dials free of charge, via their website.”

I know. But if something lasts ten years, trouble free, I’m quite happy to stump up £20 to get another set in the hope the company is still there when I need them in another ten years…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.