Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Winter Boots + 1 size or 2 ?
  • tod456
    Free Member

Looking to get some Shimano MW81, my normal shoes are 42 so do I go 43 or 44?

I might just order both anyway!

CaptainSlow

Is your “normal” shoe a shimano shoe?

If so, I would say no more than one size and the would depend entirely on how your current normal shoe fits. I would say try some at your LBS and if your LBS doesn’t have the stock or won’t get them in without a commitment to buy, order from an online retailer with free returns and get a few sizes in to try at home.

With the mw81 I find them warm enough with summer socks until it gets icy, and then i use wooly boolie thick merino socks so you don’t need a boot that is huge for them.

Make sure you have your winter socks with you when trying on.

One more thing to consider; if you go too large with the shoe size, you may find you can’t get your cleats far enough back to be under the ball of your foot.

Bit of a long winded reply, hope it helps. I would get off my arse to look at my shoes but you really need to try em on 🙂

mrelectric

Very happy still with Shimano Mt81 one size up (42 to 32). Ace.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/please-recommend-me-a-waterproof-spd-shoe

messiah
    Free Member

I’m a 44. I had 46’s a few years ago and they were great even in the worst wet and snow because I could wear very big socks; but they were too big and my foot would move around when wearing thinner socks so I went for 45’s last year. With the 45’s I can’t wear the thickest of socks and therefore get cold feet on the really silly days… but the rest of the time I’m happier as my feet don’t move about in my shoes.

I think the 45’s are a better compromise for me although if I was to be riding in snow a lot I would buy the 46’s.

tod456
    Free Member

Current shoe is shimano 42, so i’ll take a put on a 43 with CRC, as i can always exchange them.

Does anyone run the Mt81 on Road bike too?

p.s. mrelectric i assume you meant to type 43, not 32?!

Frankers
    Free Member

I’m usually a size 8 or 42 in normal shoes

Size 43 in bike shoes
    Size 44 in winter boots

footstomper
    Free Member

I can get away with 1 size up in summer shoes but for Shimano Winter Boots I had to go 2 sizes up so i could get a decent sock thickness on.

tod456
    Free Member

What winter socks are everyone using ? Endura BaaBaa look good value?

vinnyeh

Get them both if you really want to know, then you can spend some decent time trying each on. The cost of returning a pair is negligible in comparison to being able to compare them side by side for an hour or so. Better than trying them on in a shop, IMO.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m 42 in normal shoes, 43 in Shimano shoes. I’ve got 43’s in the winter MTB boots, but they are a bit difficult to get on with winter socks/sealskins. I have borrowed my BiL’s 44 Shimano winter boots and they fitted fine as well.

CaptainSlow

These: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/defeet-woolie-boolie-cycling-socks/

The shimano boots are well insulated. These work well n the snow and warm up again after getting wet. I use em with me normal shoes till it gets cold enough for the mw boots.

tod456
    Free Member

vinnye your right I’ll order in the 44 ‘s too, crc discount works on 2 separate orders, so I can’t lose 🙂

tod456
    Free Member

43 fitted like a glove with some nice thick socks… in case anyone searchs this in the future.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Winter Boots + 1 size or 2 ?’ is closed to new replies.