Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • winter boot options
  • adrec
    Free Member

Anyone own a pair of diadora Polaris? I’ve had a pair of diadora spd shoes for over a year now and been really impressed, wondering whether their winter boots are any good. Are shimano mw81s really better than all the others?

cubicboy
    Free Member

I am very happy with my Shimano MW80 (the previous model). For a complete belt-and-braces ‘system’ I have the boots worn with long SealSkinz socks plus a pair of long Gore trousers… the rain rolls down the leg and over the boots. If it’s raining heavily then water will get into any boot if worn with shorts. Another thing to consider is that waterproof socks often trap cold water. Brrr.

Carpediem
    Free Member

Shimano MW80’s with Merino socks and neoprene over boots…..
    took me a while, but it’s sorted me out good style

adrec
    Free Member

The diadora Polaris are only 75 notes on bikediscount.de, which is a bargain if they’re any good

dantsw13

The mags all seem to go for the Spesh Defrosters or Shimano MW81, but the STW consensus seems to be Mw81 or Northwave Celsius.

I went for the Notthwaves, and have been very happy!

cp

Mw81 – the best 100 quid ive ever spent on a bike related item. With merino socks, they are lush.

FuzzyWuzzy

+1 for Northwave Celsius Artics

lovewookie

I bought some of the bike-discount Polaris boots. damn comfy, roomy toe section whilst keeping the rest of your foot snug. I’m liking the cleat mount with extra support too, seems to minimise ankle roll.

As a winter boot they’re nice and warm, however they are not totally waterproof. The shoe itself is, and is great for keeping the elements out of the cleat holes etc, but the ankle cuff is split, so leaks water in fairly easily.
    It’s a shame really, if it were complete neoprene cuff it then water would at least not get in quite as easily.

Otherwise, the only winter boot I’ve had where I’ve not got cold feet.

Worth the cash to be honest, I found the shimano boots a little too bulky.

Oh, and make sure you size up one size.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 for Northwave Celsius Artics

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Spesh Defrosters are currently keeping my feet warm.

They are quite low, more shoe like, but keep water out as well as my previous MW80s. I went up a size too, to get more wiggle room.

On my 25 mile commute I wear overshoes too, and have been nice and warm even on the odd frosty days with a 6am start.

My MW80s were very good, but my feet seem to have got bigger so they didn’t have much room for other than thin socks, so still got cold on occasion.

All my cycling shoes are Spesh tho’, as they seem to fit me best.

organic355
    Free Member

Ive got Sidi Diablos and they are great, quite narrow at the toe though if you have fat feet.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I also have the older Shimano MW80 whih replaced the even older Shimano before them. I looked at the Spesh boots at the time and the difference in quality was evident, the Shimano being that much better, warmer better sealed etc. Not sure if Spesh have improved their winter boots since though. I’ve been more than happy with my boots and I also find if it’s proper cold (like -10 to -20) then overshoes too keep my feet really toasty. Like it has been said before water will get into the boot from down your legs but the important thing is your feet stay warm.

madxela
    Free Member

Riding in the tropical peaks I use Sidi Diablos as my all year round waterproof boot (very waterproof, great grip if you add toe studs, but not very warm) with varying degrees of sealskinz thickness. and Northwave arctics for sub zero rides. Previously had northwave celcius and very happy with those and sad to see them go.

adrec
    Free Member

reckon i’m gonna try the diadora polaris, bout 50 quid cheaper than the mw81s which are the other option

russback
    Free Member

So would people say that winter boots are a great deal more effective than a decent pair of neo overshoes and merino sock combo?

Carax
    Free Member

Deffo,

They look better – you do not have to replace your overshoes every 5 mins – and the GoreTex ones are properly waterproof.

Northwave Celsius gets me vote doen to -2, then NW Artic

michaelbowden

russback – Member
    So would people say that winter boots are a great deal more effective than a decent pair of neo overshoes and merino sock combo?

Yes massively.

I could never keep my feet warm/dry in summer shoes + overshoes. My Spesh Defrosters have made winter riding much more plesent.

theblackmount
    Free Member

@ Mary Hinge

What overshoe do you use with your Defrosters and is it mtb specific? I couldn’t get mine to fit over

russback
    Free Member

Great, thanks for the advice. Been out this morning (3-6 degrees) with one rider with waterproof socks and summer shoes (dry yes, warm absolutely not) and another who had overshoes (his view was 3 out 10 on the cold and wet scale). So good to get some advice from boot wearers as a comparison.

Gotta be better than having nothing more than the sieve-like shoes and basic nukeproof socks I have now!

aquamac
    Free Member

I’ve got a mate who tried putting tesco bags inside his shoes on a ride. Needless to say, I don’t think they really worked for him.

composite
    Free Member

My “happy customer” review of the Northwave Celsius.

Northwave Celius GTX Winter Riding Boots Review

bryan-g-

MW81 bought to replace older model and can highly recommend.

somafunk

Another northwave celsius arctic user here, i suffer from raynauds syndrome (decreased blood flow to extremeties) and these boots are the first that have managed to keep my feet dry and toasty warm wearing just a pair of On-One merino socks, I’ve tried 4 other varieties of winter boots over the years and these are the only ones that work as promised.

Shame they don’t make gloves………

I’m usually a 8.5 in all shoes/boots/sidi mtb shoes and i had to size up wi the Northwave to a 9.5.

gazc
    Free Member

MW81’s here infinitely better than my old spesh shoes with merino liners/sealskinz/neoprene overshoes that i forced myself to wear until i bit the bullet. mine are 2 sizes too big to allow for thick walking socks and the fact they are a bit narrow like most shimano shoes. my feet have never felt so warm 🙂

lovewookie

recently the diadoras have really shown their strength. minus god knows what outside at 5:30am yet no frozen toes even after a couple of hours of constant pedaling. Much much warmer than my sidis and much less bulky than my old shimano boots, plus they do freakish size 48’s for me too 🙂

mauja
    Free Member

Another vote for the Northwave Celsius, got a pair for the first time this winter and they’re ace, so much better than any of the various combinations of waterproof socks and overshoes I’ve tried.

z1ppy

Shimano here & are very very good but given the cash I’d buy some lake mz302’s

510ben
    Free Member

Are the Shimano or Northwave’s ideal for on and off the bike? I go the farm each day wearing just a pair of trainers and have to get through muck past my ankles (jumping off and carrying is the only choice). I wear two pairs of thick socks for on the farm so have no problems keeping warm unless water and muck gets through.

z1ppy

Yes there fine for a bit of wandering around your not hobbled by them, though maybe glance at the mt90’s for a more waterproof boot option (the cuff not great for keeping rain or splashed water out)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘winter boot options’ is closed to new replies.