Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • winter bike needed with Discs?
  • Daffy

As soon as funds permit, I’ll be swapping all of my Alfine DI2 gear from my 2013 Day One 11 onto a Niner RLT.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Weird to see so many mechanical discs when deore hydraulics are so cheap. Is there a reason?

Jamie
    Free Member

Yes. You cannot get Deore STIs.

But being less flippant, discs are still relatively new to road/CX bikes. So a combination of this and UCI rules has meant that the development into hydraulic road levers is all quite new, and expensive. So mech brakes are still the cheaper option. Or cable pull hydros as a compromise.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Ahhh… Doh!

That sounds fixable though… I’ll wait

jacob46
    Free Member

Is it ok to have a carbon bike for winter? I like the New 2015 Robaix £2000 model. It comes with 25 tyres but can it accept 28’s?

krixmeister

In a similar vein and at risk of hijack, any recommendations on a factory (not bespoke or build-yourself) fixie with discs?

jackthedog
    Free Member

In a similar vein and at risk of hijack, any recommendations on a factory (not bespoke or build-yourself) fixie with discs?

This?

Does comes with a freewheel but that’s easily removed…

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’m test riding a suffolk this weekend which has some of the upgrades you mention. I’d normally say a 56 is my size but they look to have a *very* long tube so I’m trying a 54.

Re: Whyte sizing. I found going down a size didn’t work, but dropping down to a 90mm stem sorted me out (I test rode my Suffolk with several stems, the shop were very good about it).

90mm stem still obscures the front wheel on mine, and the proportions looks OK.

jacob46
    Free Member

Went to bicicelo pinarelo Birmingham yesterday and they are having these delivered in 2 weeks.

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/17505/whyte-cornwall-disc-racing-road-bike-2015

What’s your thoughts?

mccann.ben
    Free Member
    jacob46
    Free Member

Amazing VFM
    http://m.canyon.com/_en/details.html?bike_id=3618

nice but whyte cornwall any day. thanks

MrNice
    Free Member

Reporting back from test ride of a Suffolk. I’ve bought a 54. I’m sure a 56 could have been made to fit with a shorter stem but I suspect top tube clearance would have been minimal and this one feels/looks right. Given the contrasting experiences on this thread the advice has to be to get a test ride and be prepared to consider a component swap.

jacob46
    Free Member

hello mrnice,
    thanks for getting with your results. i sat on this yesterday

http://www.bicicielo.com/bikes/road/whyte-2015-cornwall-rd-7-road-disc.html

and i must say it looks beautiful and because im tall with long arms the reach is shorter than my tarmac and more relaxed. a bit like a Robaix. also saw the suffolk which was also a nice bike.

planetx has also got a nice winter bike for sale. the spec is awesome for the money. just the colour you have to get used too.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRIV/planet-x-london-road-sram-rival-22-road-bike

brian2
    Free Member

Specialized Secteur Sport Compact Disc. I got this on a C2W scheme last year. Must admit it’s my first road bike, but I like Speshy bikes and this one really took my fancy. I’ve tried it with a shorter riser stem (really comfortable for long runs) and a 90mm flat stem which drops the front for when I want to hoof it around. Not in a position to compare; but it does the biz for me. I will probably be upgrading the brakes to the new Tektro Hydraulic calipers soon; not ‘cos it needs it; ‘cos I’m a tart. Hope this helps.

1981miked
    Free Member

I’m considering that Planet X aswell Jacob. Good spec for the price, I’ll be building my own tho. They do it in silver aswell which is much nicer.

Im struggling to find better vfm.

jacob46
    Free Member

I’m considering that Planet X aswell Jacob. Good spec for the price, I’ll be building my own tho. They do it in silver aswell which is much nicer.

Im struggling to find better vfm.

you must have some parts of your own 1981miked?

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘winter bike needed with Discs?’ is closed to new replies.