Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Winter bike? Kona unit or something else
  • bigad40
    Free Member

I really love riding in the rain and piss and shit…
    Well not really but I know if don’t ride when the weathers a bit like it is now I won’t ride in the winter but hosing down my pride and joy after listening to it crunch and grind its way across local trails makes me want to buy or put together something like a Unit, Cooker or something else I can eventually fit an Alfine or if finance allow a Rolhoff gear hub.
    Anything similar I may have over looked? No more Genesis 29er Alfines.
    Possible even to get an On-one, rigid fork, wheels and the rest I may be able to scratch together from my parts bin.

morton02476
    Free Member

Hi, I have a Kona Unit 29er for sale, size Medium, selling as a ready to go bike or as a frame only with or without forks.

Kingkona

Graham,

I might be interested in the unit frame – could I have some details please?

morton02476
    Free Member

Adam,

kona Unit 29er, size medium, 2008 model, set up at the moment as SS, but have the brackets to add gears. Happy to sell the bike as is or can break it down and sell as individual items. Open to sensible offers. Done some digging, and from what I can see for the bike set up as SS (and I have brand new chain rings front and back and a chain) £350. For the frame and forks £250, and for the frame only £220. But I am open to offers.

Other parts on the bike are Superstar headset, brand new un used superstar grips, Superstar hub rear, will check what the front is and what the rims are, On One mary bars, Gusset stem, superstar seat post, Kona seat clamp, ragley saddle, Shimano deor hollow tech cranks, Hope bottom bracket, Avid brakes elixir 1.

the bike is in a used condition but sound, I also have some new Kona decals in black if you got frame re powder coated.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a medium swift frame, photos on my flickr under the same username.

Otherwise I’d recommend the el-mariachi’s on sale at billys.

morton02476
    Free Member

Kingkona,

kona Unit 29er, size medium, 2008 model, set up at the moment as SS, but have the brackets to add gears. Happy to sell the bike as is or can break it down and sell as individual items. Open to sensible offers. Done some digging, and from what I can see for the bike set up as SS (and I have brand new chain rings front and back and a chain) £350. For the frame and forks £250, and for the frame only £220. But I am open to offers.

Other parts on the bike are Superstar headset, brand new un used superstar grips, Superstar hub rear, will check what the front is and what the rims are, On One mary bars, Gusset stem, superstar seat post, Kona seat clamp, ragley saddle, Shimano deor hollow tech cranks, Hope bottom bracket, Avid brakes elixir 1.

the bike is in a used condition but sound, I also have some new Kona decals in black if you got frame re powder coated.

gazc
    Free Member

how about a genesis 29er alfine… but without the alfine? selling a fortitude adventure nearly full bike but without the rear wheel if its of interest – you can stick whatever single speed/geared/internal gear hub you like in it the rest is ready to go 🙂

flatpat
    Free Member

D’you think it’s worth it, a winter bike?

OK so you have no sus fork, rear shock and gears but bottom brackets, brakes, hubs and headsetstill need tlc. And surely you’d still want to clean & grease your chain to stop it rusting after a wet ride?

Asking cos I’ve slung my full sus into the shed without cleaning it – guilt will make me do it in the morning. So a maintenance free bike is a nice dream.

stayhigh

Graham

I may well be interested in the Unit frame but cant see the pic you put up. Would you be able to mail me some to my profile address please?

Thanks

mud-monster
    Free Member

FS: 2014 NEW unused Kona UNIT. 19″ £650No Offers! RRP £799 
    still in box. mulley79@yahoo.com 😀

morton02476
    Free Member

Stayhigh

i will email you some picks later when i get home.

cheers.

morton02476
    Free Member

Stayhigh – YGM

lee93
    Free Member

Hi could you email me some pics of this kona unit

Looking to get one for commuting

Email is

Leegeorgia23@googlemail.com

morton02476
    Free Member

Lee93 – YGM

avdave2

D’you think it’s worth it, a winter bike?

OK so you have no sus fork, rear shock and gears but bottom brackets, brakes, hubs and headsetstill need tlc.

I commute off road all year round on a rigid bike with a Rohloff. All I ever do is change the hub oil once a year and give the chain a quick wipe and cover it with more of whatever cheap oil is lying around. At the moment that’s some gearbox oil. I’ve been running it for 8 years and it’s on it’s second bb – square taper un54 and it’s second set of headset bearings. I’m on the second chainring and 3rd chain and rear sprocket – I choose not the reverse the sprocket as I don’t want to run the side that’s been exposed to the elements for a few years against the hub seal. As I type this it’s sat in the garage with barely a square cm not plastered with mud. So I would say it’s definitely worth it if you ride a lot it shitty conditions.

I’d quite like at some point to have the same in 29 flavour – my current favourite options would be the El Mariachi which seems really versatile with the alternator dropouts although ideally the Ti one for the lower weight. The Cannondale trail ss could be worth looking at. I’d also thought about the Scandal but that seems to be discontinued. The Lurcher would also be an option although I’d prefer something with a more traditional skinny tube look for no good reason at all.

flatpat
    Free Member

Thanks for the thoughts avdave2. Hmm may think about single speeding and fat tyre-ing my Kona Sutra when commuting finally puts paid to it’s drivetrain. Mind you that would mean I’d need another commuter/road bike.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Winter bike? Kona unit or something else’ is closed to new replies.