Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Winlatter – what to do, what to look out for?
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Off up to the Northern Lakes at the end of the month to visit some friends. They have offered to take us to the bike trails at Winlatter.
    My g/f is going to do the blue loop apparently and i'll be looking at the red.
    Now, i haven't ridden at a trail centre since about 1999 (CyB) so is it fun? terrifying? boring? etc.
    I ride in the Pennines/Peak/Dales.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It's quite good fun

grumm
    Free Member

Depends what you are into but my usual riding is rocky bridleways in the Lakes and I really like it. There's lots of videos on youtube if you want to see what to expect.

There's not much too technical but it can be slippy in the wet. Quite a few berms and jumps which are great fun if you hit them right.

Great views, especially from the top of the south loop.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I've never been much one for jumps, berms are good though.

Seen a few vids on youtube of the red run – not particularly 'red' to me but the camera can easily tell lies about the state of the run!

grumm
    Free Member

There's nowt too technical really apart from a steep little bit on the top of the south loop, and a steep corner on the north loop. It can be pretty slippy in the wet though – quite a few roots on the north loop.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Just looking at some vids of the south loop. When jumps were mentioned i had images of great big 4'+ drops etc. not little table top stuff!
    Still, looks like fun in a 'different-to-what-i-normally-ride' way.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I dont know who designed the jumps but they must be mongs.

Theres a table top on the North loop that you hit pretty fast, but the landing is really short and steep. This is then followed by some sort of bizarre triple affair which doesnt really have a take off to speak of. Not a clue what your meant to do with it. Hit it fast and hope for the best.

Apart from those two things, its all pretty easy going and good fun too.

grumm
    Free Member

looks like fun in a 'different-to-what-i-normally-ride' way.

Exactly.

Yeah the jumps are all fairly non-threatening, though some of the tabletops are a bit too close together for my liking, and one comes right before a sharp right-hander.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

looking forward to it now 🙂 think i'll be taking the winter kit though, end of October is going to be cold up on the tops.

Wozza
    Free Member

I expect to get flamed but here goes…

I can't really see the point of this place, well the red run at least. Seems to me that it's pretty badly made and a bit of a featureless slog up for a long run down, with its poorly placed jumps.

I'd dig out a map and have a go at the much better riding in the local area.

That said, the view from the top is very good.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

If i were riding up there with my usual riding mate(s) i probably would get the map out. However i'll be with the g/f who's a newbie and a couple of friends who are only recently dabbling in biking (they are experienced climbers/fell walkers though). For what we need Winlatter sounds perfect, a nice blue loop for the g/f and a climb up a big hill for me with a long descent.

grumm
    Free Member

It's perfect for what you are after imo. The blue loop is good fun for people of any ability imo, I really like it.

Wozza – each to their own but I ride the bridleway stuff in the Lakes all the time but I think Whinlatter is great fun.

Btw there is a really nice singlertack bridleway descent down to Thornthwaite – if you turn left down the fire road after the first little blue option, then left again – there is a bridleway off into the woods immediately to the right. I usually get my gf to drive down the road and meet her at the bottom 🙂

Trekster

If i were riding up there with my usual riding mate(s) i probably would get the map out. However i'll be with the g/f who's a newbie and a couple of friends who are only recently dabbling in biking (they are experienced climbers/fell walkers though). For what we need Winlatter sounds perfect, a nice blue loop for the g/f and a climb up a big hill for me with a long descent.

Spot on muddy 😆

Advise dropping in at the Braithwaite camp site cafe rather than the visitor centre one, quieter and cheaper. You will pass it on the way up.

Bike shop used to do a coffee from a machine if you popped a coin or 2 into the mountain rescue box 🙂

so is it fun? terrifying? boring? etc.

Can be all of the above depending on your experience

The blue is a blast by the way, worth doing as an add on to the red. It is in 2 sections, do the extended loop 😆

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Advise dropping in at the Braithwaite camp site cafe

I've never been to the village as I understood the residents had blocked the development of the trails for years because they didn't want more traffic ?

Trekster

If you can`t beat em join em

surprising how attitudes change once the local shops and pubs start making ££££££££££££

Wozza
    Free Member

In that case it's perfect. Have good one.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The blue is a good beginner route – my novice mate enjoyed it. The reds are also fine but not great. I found the loose slaty corners drifty but you get into it after a while and it adds to the character.

Trekster

The reds are also fine but not great. I found the loose slaty corners drifty but you get into it after a while and it adds to the character.

Adds to the fun and tests skill 😈

porterclough
    Free Member

The last descent on the north loop with all the berms and jumpy bits is well worth the slog up the hill IMHO

This is then followed by some sort of bizarre triple affair which doesnt really have a take off to speak of. Not a clue what your meant to do with it.

Pump it?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Winlatter – what to do, what to look out for?’ is closed to new replies.