Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Lets Talk Wing Suits
  • grantway
    Free Member

After seeing this clip
    I wonder what is the Longevity of the suits minus if you crash in them

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmlAW_1hgT8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m going to guess that the suits become out-dated before they fall apart…

yunki
    Free Member

I made a wingsuit out of an old vango tent that had gone a bit mouldy.. I stapled it together using the office stapler..

It works a treat.. 8)

watsontony
    Free Member

u have been flying your tent? really?

bren2709

That is awesome!

flip
    Free Member

I made a wingsuit out of an old vango tent that had gone a bit mouldy

I made one from a pair of 1970s curtains, its fairly rad and fashionable.

I’ll try it out later when i’ve had some more whisky.

Brilliant vid, i wish i had the bollox to do it.

yunki
    Free Member

vid was shot round the back of Nationwide in Swindon..

cynic-al
    Free Member

You wonder if there’s scope for something in between a wing suit and a hang glider?

Am I bad for thinking those wing suit guys are dicks?

CountZero

You wonder if there’s scope for something in between a wing suit and a hang glider?

I’m wondering if you have the cojones to try it yourself. The words ‘put up or shut up’ do spring to mind.

yunki
    Free Member

The words ‘put up or shut up’ do spring to mind.

I dunno if having massive capacity for putting oneself in danger automatically makes one less of a dick though..

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

<CaptainFlasheartmode-on> I know a fabulous wing-suit taylor on Saville Row, e-mail in profile. <CaptainFlasheartmode-off>

cynic-al
    Free Member

Countzero of course I wouldn’t, I value my life (and don’t have the skills or balls). I suspect these guys don’t which is probably why I think they are dicks.

How does “put up or shut up” apply here? Doesn’t it mean “if you say someone should put up or shut up, you mean they should either take action in order to do what they have been talking about or stop talking about it”

Do continue to hero worship them if you like,

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I bet most women would rather their partners donned a wingsuit than a big hitter cape x x

donsimon
    Free Member

I know folks that think riding an mtb is a bit stupid, so I think you’re on safe ground, as it were.

scuzz
    Free Member

Countzero of course I wouldn’t, I value my life (and don’t have the skills or balls). I suspect these guys don’t which is probably why I think they are dicks.

Do you think anyone who has different values to you is a dick?

brooess
    Free Member

Not sure why anyone would consider these guys dicks… presumably you know nothing about the skill and courage required to do what they’re doing…??

I used to skydive 10 years ago when wingsuits were just beginning to be tried out. They’re pioneers in the real sense of the word. What they were doing then was cool but this kind of stuff is amazing. It takes more balls than any trick you can do on a bike.

Yes it’s dangerous. But it’s a hell of a better way to go than old age or under a bus IMO… and who knows what kind of military purposes they’re using it for, a lot of skydivers are ex-Paras. One day someone doing this may save your life….

The skill it takes to control yourself in freefall is beyond most people. To have the level of control these guys have now is beyond belief…

I value my life

maybe you should give skydiving a go someday then. You appreciate life like you’ve never done before when you see a full canopy above your head…

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

Go Brooess Go! You get my vote!!! 😉

TiRed

Impressive, but am I the only one who thinks that these extreme activities are exploitation on behalf of Red Bull? Looks like a clear push to more and more extreme activities.

What life assurance for wind suit flying?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Don’t say anything bad about them FFS!

sweepy
    Free Member

It was the shit stains that killed my wingsuit

lemonysam
    Free Member

Whilst that video’s great, don’t the shadows around the four minute mark look fake?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Looks cool. What happens if you scratch your nuts though?

M6TTF
    Free Member

Nothing but admiration for them – the chap who recently landed without a chute even more so!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Theyr’e definately very close to dicks cos theyr’e nuts!

I don’t think theyr’e dicks but I know of plenty on here who are.

continuity
    Free Member

The skill it takes to control yourself in freefall is beyond most people. To have the level of control these guys have now is beyond belief…

I was on the train with a guy who had tried the modern suits (had a couple in a holdall on the way to gatwick). He was friends with that other guy who hit table mountain recently, was telling me about it.

His vibe was that actually flying; even flyting reasonably close; is pretty easy. The difficult parts are the takeoff (placement, getting terminal velocity and so forward momentum and lift) and the chute pop (because you have to flare, you lose your forward momentum and so you lose all of your lift and start to plummet like a stone) were the shit bits.

woffle
    Free Member

i shouldn’t imagine bird-strike would be especially pleasant in one of those things…

yunki
    Free Member

lets talk Winged Sluts.. in pre-biblical times the world was awash with plagues of them..

it must have been awful..

fervouredimage
    Free Member

They could be dicks. A couple of them might be moody, or be argumentative, or a bit overly sensitive and therefore a bit snappy. One of them might be a little arrogant or overtly loud when he has one too many beers. One of them might have an overwhelming sense of self importance or like the sound of his own voice too much.

So it is possible they are dicks, not collectively as a bunch of wingsuiters though.

soobalias
    Free Member

ah get over yourself, there is no law against being wingsuitist, yet

bencooper
    Free Member

The guys I’ve known who do it have been the most friendly, calm, quiet, self-effacing people you’d ever want to meet.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Actually I’m not sure I think they are dicks, it’s probably the unbridled love-in/adulation/hero worship that gets me.

EDIT where’s that road in the OP? Looks like an ace climb.

yunki
    Free Member

I seduced one the other day and persuaded him to stay the night..

in the morning he under seasoned the eggs benedict..

he was called Dick and I now have a very low opinion of him..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So brooess, what control do you have. Do the sits have a natural sink rate like a parapente canopy? If you are hugging the mountain and suddenly there is a higher bit in front – what happens? Presumably you cannot climb (or can you?), so its SPLAT! The margin for error seems so tiny its amazing.

brooess
    Free Member

Having never done it I don’t know quite how much control they have – Continuity’s comments up there suggest a few awkward moments have to be dealt with….!
    Freefall terminal velocity is c 120mph and AFAIK these suits give you nearer 60 which means less of a wind to push against for control. But I guess the larger surface area of the suit gives back the control, but moving more slowly. I suspect the videos are edited to look as good as possible…

You’re essentially falling all the time, I don’t know if they can actually regain height, depends on your speed I suppose. I suspect the places they jump from and the routes they take are very well planned so they know there won’t be an unexpected higher bit…

Skydiving and BASE are pretty well understood in terms of the risks and how to manage them and as it goes, relatively safe – very few incidents as a % of jumps being done. As you say the margin for error is tiny in wingsuit.

Which is why I admire them. It takes balls to do that… and I can’t think of another sport where the limits of what man is capable of are being pushed so far right now…

stuey
    Free Member

Some intresting analysis /videos over here…
    Fatalities in extreme sports over the past 5 years per 1,000 participants. Anyone with an ambition to climb K2 might take note of these figures too!

Skydiving: 3.3
    Base Jumping: 44
    Hang Gliding/Paragliding: 3.8
    Summiting K2: 104
    ATV Riding: 0.5
    Scuba Diving: .06
    Snowboarding: .05

Although wingsuit flying is not on the list (there is probably not enough data to work with yet) it is probably somewhere between skydiving and BASEjumping. It is an interesting aside, though, that fatality rates were very high during the developmental period for this extreme sport. Between 1930 and 1961, 71 out of 75 people died trying to perfect a wingsuit.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Although wingsuit flying is not on the list (there is probably not enough data to work with yet) it is probably somewhere between skydiving and BASEjumping.

What science did you use to work that out?

CountZero

Where, exactly, did you come to assume ‘hero worship’ on my part? All I did was call you on labelling a group of extreme sports participants ‘dicks’, purely because of their participation in that sport.
    I have huge respect for anyone prepared to risk their lives taking part in any risky undertaking.
    I reserve ‘hero worship’ for those who have acted in a heroic fashion, say rescuing someone while risking their own life.
    Is that clear enough for you?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Exactly what CountZero said.

CountZero

Essel, thank you, sir! 😀

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ll be mostly doing this.
    I’d guess most of us have always wanted to fly, this is about as close as you’ll get. The feeling must be awesome.
    Unfortunately I’ll never have the opportunity to try it. I believe you want/need 300 off free fall jumps before even trying base jumping. That’s before getting close to a wing suit.
    Expensive and limited in where you can do it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Lets Talk Wing Suits’ is closed to new replies.