Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Wine…
  • tootallpaul

I need to sort out the wine for our forthcoming nuptials.

Any recommendations for suppliers?

And how many bottles per table (10 people per table). There is a cheap bar in the church hall as well. We were thinking of 4 bottles- does that sound OK?

Cheers

P

porlus
    Free Member

I would say 5 per table. That way its half a bottle each. Or maybe three red and three white ????

porlus
    Free Member

Check out majestic wines. They have a decent selection and even do glasses hire.

Stoner
    Free Member

We were thinking of 4 bottles- does that sound OK?

Glad Im not invited! 😉

3/4 bottle a head, so that I get 2 once youve accounted for boring uncle Clive, thank you.

I used to be a laithwaites guy but they started pissing me off with their incessant mailing and “club” subscriptions scams, and their wine started falling in quality too. Im much happier with Majestic for common or garden drinking plonk now. They will also do glass hire, and maybe even sale or return?

http://www.majestic.co.uk/Services/Weddings

hugor
    Free Member

Don’t most people drink at weddings? One of the worst weddings I can remember was alcohol free. I’d allow for at least 1 bottle per person. Many will have one or 2 glasses but many will have a lot more too.

loum
    Free Member

Usually its 1 bottle to 2 people. Or more.
    Also, more people drink white than red so sometimes its recomended to go about 60/40 white to red, but you know you’re family better than anyone else does (and what the menu is).

donsimon
    Free Member

Are you not on good terms with your local landlord? They might be in more of a position to do you a deal and sale or return. You never know unless you ask.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Blue Nun?? Whaaat ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d say a bottle per person your own age. 0.5 bottle for guests your folks’ age. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://www.bbr.co.uk

Their “Good Ordinary Claret” does exactly what it says on the tin. Excellent wedding plonk, IMO.

thegreatape
    Free Member

If you’re not familiar with some of the jargon, you need to realise that when they’re saying 3/4 bottle per person, 1 bottle per person and so on, they mean per hour.

tootallpaul

Cheers all…

We are siding with 1 bottle for every two people. Allowing for those who don’t drink, that’s more than half a bottle each.

+ the same amount of bottles of fizz as red and white combined (to allow for drinks during the photographs and toasts.

And 6 bottles of malt. Probably Edradour. It is Scotland after all.

And the church hall bar is pretty cheap for the rest of the night…

corroded
    Free Member

As for the wines, it doesn’t really matter…
    http://m.newyorker.com/online/blogs/frontal-cortex/2012/06/wine-taste.html

RichPenny
    Free Member

Got mine from the majestic warehouse in calais. About 50% of what I might pay for the same wine here. Bought it on the way back from the alps 😉

igm

We got the sparkling from Ackermans in Samur (not champagne but 90% of your guests will think it is and the rest will appreciate it as a damn fine sparkling) and chose the still from a few bottles that a little local cave suggested sat in the boot of the car watching a bike race and handing wine round the locals asking for opinions.

Including driving over from Yorkshire and paying corkage it was still cheaper that the hotel drinks package. And far more memorable.

Hobster
    Free Member

Davy’s do a pretty passable house red and white that aren’t too heavy and (www.davy.co.uk) and they deliver across the UK.

The Doris’s sister had it at her wedding and there weren’t any complaints although that could have been the quantity.

damo2576
    Free Member

Simple, 10 people per table, 5 bottles white, 5 bottles red per table. Champagne cocktail on arrival.

monkeyboyjc

+1 for majestic wines – they’ll be able to advise you on quantities….
    free delivery and you can take back what you/your guests dont drink.

igm

Forgot the volumes.
    72 guests, 54 bottles sparkling, 24 red, 12 white.
    We had a little left over.

Edukator
    Free Member

Champagne cocktail

Mais nooooooooon! Cava cocktail, Champagne en flute.

Do you live near a port? Go on a booze cruise with a car full of adults.

The Haut-Medoc Chateau Miqueu in my glass is a pleasant surprise given it cost about 5e. I paid £12 for a wine of similar quality in a UK supermarket when trying to find something suitable to put on the table of my hosts.

Garry_Lager

1 bottle between 2 is the right starting point – adjust upwards according to culture, guest list etc. loads of families will mean one of the parents won’t be drinking for example. OTOH, if the Vladivostok side of the family are turning up you need to account for that.
    Bottom line is that running out of wine would be a total fiasco, and for not very much money in the grand scheme of things you can easily avoid this.

igm

A man called Lager is advising on wine.

Just an observation. 😉

hugor
    Free Member

Bottom line is that running out of wine would be a total fiasco, and for not very much money in the grand scheme of things you can easily avoid this.

+ 1
    imagine running out just as everyone was getting happy. Not worth the risk IMO and will end up much more expensive.

steve-g
    Free Member

+1 for the saumur instead of champagne, thats what we did.

Its right next door to champagne and has the same soil etc so the wine is almost exactly the same, and better a good saumur than a cheap champagne

mefty
    Free Member

We used a local wine merchant on a sale and return basis, we got through 60 bottles of champagne and about 80 bottles of red and white for 90 people I seem to recall plus there was a free bar.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Wine…’ is closed to new replies.