Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Windy? What's the worst you've ridden in?
  • cakefacesmallblock

Love the ST verdict on the Daily Fail.

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol. I love the opportunist break-away who gets blown over.

Windiest I ever rode in was on a high moor in the Beacons. Had to push bikes head down into the wind, so windy that if I didn’t keep my lips pursed tightly it inflated my cheeks. Map was a goner too.

Bregante

Penmachno about 5 years ago. So windy that half of our kit was blown across the car park as soon as we opened the car boot. We had to pedal hard down every descent otherwise we would grind to a halt. That was a character building day.

dufusdip
    Free Member

A week past Sat riding WHW on Rannoch Moor with 60+ winds and horizontal snow. Lots of pushing and kept getting pushed off the central rise on the track into the deep snow at the sides. Hardest 19 miles I’ve ever done and took five and a half hours. Character building, allegedly.

njee20
    Free Member

Video in the OP is hardly hilarious. It’s a bit shit really.

I did a ride in the Dales that was pretty mental. Crosswind was worse than the headwind actually, very unsettling. Got blown off my cross bike in Bristol once too, up at Ashton Court.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

trying to cycle home from school after we were sent home early during the 25th Jan 1990 hurricane.

gerti
    Free Member

Couple of weeks back, got caught out by a crosswind from a side street and blown right across to the other side of the road. Thankfully it was early morning and there was no traffic at the time :O

stevedoc
    Free Member

27th of December last year (15) me and a mate walk/pushed up Llamberis trail to summit of Snowden with the intention on having a giggle down the ranger trail ,it was blowy as hell going up and I never thought it would get so bad at the start of the Ranger trail , cut left from the train tracks across the plato and I was struggling to stay upright , the wind blew me over and I ended up holding one side of my bars while treating my Five with a kite , I seriously s***e myself ,took nearly an hour to get back to the train tracks as we couldn’t stand , I wont do that again !

TiRed

Last Saturday’s Imperial Winter Series race saw us heading down the Hillingdon straight into a steady 30 mph headwind. It was awful and any missed wheels and out the back you go! Lasted only 7 laps but finished. Rode 52×28 on a flat section, out of the saddle just to make progress.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m old. When I first started cycling to school in my uniform we had oilskin capes that made us as aerodynamic as Anne Hathaway’s Cottage. With the road holding of a hot air balloon. I’ve been stooped in my tracks, blown along so fast my brakes wouldn’t stop me and blown sideways in to ditches. All in less than 40mph.
    Last week on the road from Weymouth to Portland was pretty special though…

whitestone
    Free Member

Is that the same video clip that was on the BBC this morning? (Don’t want to give the DF extra clicks)

MaryHinge
    Free Member

6hrs slogging across the mid Wales in 60mph winds at last years Builth Mountain Marathon.

Character building enough!

BigJohn

Had to pedal down Potato Alley once but freewheeled up to Rowlee Farm.

jam-bo

Kjolur route, Icelandic highlands. Windy as ****. For days.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

if you think it looks bad, its worse, I’m partially signed and Helen had a Vindaloo last night 😡

mrchrispy

In the dales last year. was getting blows backwards down Buttertubs and then dropping down into Hawes the other side it was little ring and full gas just to make ground. it was soul destroying.

senorj

I once had to pedal down the old Keswick coach road in sleet and snow!
    The coldest I have ever been , to be forever referred to as “coach road cold”.
    I froze my hands so badly it took a couple of weeks for my fingers to stop tingling..
    I still get flashbacks…

BoardinBob

Up past the reservoir at Caberston. Got about halfway up before I turned back. I had to lie on my bike to stop it blowing away 😯

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I used to work at the RAE Farnborough and live in Fleet so I used to cycle across the airfield on my commute.
    We had some pretty windy days in October 1987 and 1988 where I was stopped dead in my tracks, cycling along in a straight line at what felt like a 45 degree lean angle but never quite blown off completely.

I spent most of those few days trying to stop the roof leaving a lot of the older buildings. Being the apprentice it was always muggins that was pushed out on to the roof to pin it down. The apprentice master nice and cosy just spinning the nuts on the coach bolts inside. Those experiences did cure my fear of heights though.

loddrik
    Free Member

Over the top of Nan Bield, I had to crawl flat on my stomach with my arms and legs spread out to stop me blowing away, and I’m nearly 18st.

the-muffin-man

…I ended up in Oz once.

benp1

Bear Bones Winter Event, Jan 2015

Spent ALL of Saturday riding, pushing, bog trotting and death marching into the wind. It was savagely windy

phiiiiil

Top of Nan Bield for me too… you couldn’t even breathe unless you faced away from the wind, let alone ride a bicycle. By the time you could stay upright on a bike I think we had gone past the best bits, so a return trip is in order at some point.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Windy? What's the worst you've ridden in?’ is closed to new replies.