Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Windstopper base layers – any users, any good, any bargains?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Thinking one of these could be useful to go under a jersey, rather than hide the jersey under a gilet.

Any feedback, recommendations and bargains spotted in the sales would be appreciated.

Thanks

akira

Craft ones are good, planet x ones are cheap but lack bit of breathability.

cinnamon_girl

Gore Windstopper are good although expensive, also come up very small, and reckon you’d get too hot wearing one under a jersey. Fine with a gilet though.

Have you thought about Windstopper arm warmers?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Confused..wearing something windproof under something not windproof?

cinnamon_girl

What’s wrong with that al? Assuming windchill is to be avoided.

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks akira – Craft one at Merlin half price looks worth a punt.

Cynic-al – it’s complicated…..

matts
    Free Member

I have one of the Gore ones that’s got windstopper on the front and a more breathable material on the back. It’s good, but only really comes into its own under certain conditions which may or may not justify the cost.

Where it really shines is interval/hill sessions when there’s a bit of a chill in the air. It’s breathable enough for you not to boil when you’re pushing it, but it just keeps the chill off when doing descents.

To get more use out of it, I also wear it as a general base layer in the winter.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Got an Agu one. TBH not used it on the MTB as most of my riding is in the woods out of the wind, but have used it on the road (on one of my few road rides) where I found it pretty good.

Flipside is you can’t take it off as easily as a gilet, but good for this time of year when it’s still a little cooler.

cinnamon_girl

MoreCash – shame that you’re a man as I have a ladies Gore for sale!

jonba
    Free Member

I’m with Cynic-al on this one. Doesn’t seem particularly logical as an idea thinking about convection, conduction and insulation.

Personally I’d get a race fit clear gilet or one of the softshell gabba style things in a weight that suits.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Craft are really great. I have two and would always buy more if they came up cheap.

legend
    Free Member
    slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I got mine because I prefer to wear my jerseys and have access to the rear pockets rather than something bulkier or a gilet with can make getting access to pockets a pain. They are quite a bit cheaper than most gilets or certainly a gabba. Had the gore one with the windstopper front and mesh back for a couple of years and its been great. Never really got hot enough in it to think I need to take it off. Recommended.

LS
    Free Member

Very useful for race duties, i.e. under a skinsuit where you need to keep warm but stay aero/display sponsor’s logos etc. Slightly less useful now in the days of Gabba/Tempest and so on but still seen.
    I’ve got one of the Craft long-sleeve ones and for me it’s just too warm, I wore it once in a race when it was sub zero and I thought that I was going to boil after fifteen minutes.

MoreCashThanDash

C-g – might still fit me!

I get the argument that a gilet might be better, but I need to ride in a particular jersey without a gilet on top. At least until I can afford a new gilet!

matts
    Free Member

Personally I’d get a race fit clear gilet or one of the softshell gabba style things in a weight that suits.

The thing with the Gabba is that it can get really warm if the sun comes out. The only option is to unzip it completely as it blows up like a balloon if you just unzip it a bit.

There is the new Perfetto that is like the Gabba but has a Roubaix type material on the back.

matts
    Free Member

As mentioned above, can be useful under a skinsuit in a TT.

fathomer

I’ve got a couple of the Gore ones, bought when they where cheap on Amazon a couple of years ago. Work really well for me. The Craft ones look ok but I’m not a massive fan of the high neck on my normal Craft base layer tbh.

Kuco

I’ve got a Gore vest and a couple of Craft Extreme windproof, the Craft are great when it’s really cold. I really like them and find them very versatile.

MoreCashThanDash

Quick report back – got one of the half price Craft Extreme ones from Merlin and first ride yesterday. It was bright but chilly with a sneaky wind, and the base layer was plenty warm enough under a normal short sleeved jersey.

Definitely a useful addition to the wardrobe

cynic-al
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member

What’s wrong with that al? Assuming windchill is to be avoided.

The outer garment serves no insulative purpose – I didn’t realise it was not about that.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Windstopper base layers – any users, any good, any bargains?’ is closed to new replies.