Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Windproof or wind resistant jackets..the difference?
  • vondally
    Free Member

So my Lowe alpine windproof smock has reached the end of service, so looking for a windproof breathable shell, smock or jacket can I ask the difference between
    Windproof

And

Wind resistant

I have a idea but……would check

Any recommendations for a windproof breathable shell, does not need to be rainproof… breathabilty needed.

dovebiker

Windproof IMO would be something made from a fabric like Gore Windstopper Softshell whereas windproof is going to be made from a lighter weight fabric – think flappy nylon, but more packable though

nemesis
    Free Member

The distinction is usually waterproof or water resistant/windproof. As above, waterproof is a proper waterproof jacket like Goretex. Wind resistant will block the wind fully and the rain for a short while but isn’t waterproof. They often are more breathable though so can be a better choice if you sweat a lot. No breathable waterproofs breathe enough to stop them being boil in the bag for me.

I find my Endura windproof spot on.
    https://www.evanscycles.com/endura-pakajak-showerproof-jacket-EV146495

BadlyWiredDog

It tends to be a trade off between windproofing and breathability – most 100% windproof fabrics aren’t particularly breathable, even non-membrane ones like classic Pertex because the weave is so tight. If you run hot, you’re arguably better off with a fabric that still gives you some protection from the wind, but breathes a bit better keeping you cooler and more comfortable.

Stuff like non-membrane, double-weave soft shells and Pertex Equilibrium. Or you can look for something that’s vented and/or zoned. I’ve been using an Arc’teryx running jacked called the Incendo that’s basically a windproof with vented side panels and under-arms and works well on the bike, also a Norrona bike jacket called the Fjora Aero 100 which is more breathable than most windproofs I’ve used.

Montane used to do a jacket made from Pertex Equilibrium whjch was good, or have a look at the Rab Vapour-rise Flex, which works nicely.

FuzzyWuzzy

Can’t say I’ve noticed “wind resistant” before so unless it’s a typo in your post as nemesis suggests then not sure.

BadlyWiredDog

Wind resistant will block the wind fully

I think if it did that it would technically be ‘wind proof’… I’d say it’s more of a three-tier thing:

1. Waterproof fabrics which are also 100% windproof.

2. Windproof fabrics, which are 100% windproof and also have some degree of water resistance, but aren’t waterproof, it’s blurred line as stuff like Gore Windstopper is effectively waterproof as a fabric, but doesn’t usually have taped seams, so leaks eventually at the seams.

3. Wind resistant fabrics: not 100% windproof, but some resistance to wind – unlike, say, most fleece or baselayer fabrics – and usually some rain resistance too.

The breathability levels tend to run in reverse order, the more water and/or windproof the fabric is, the less breathable it tends to be, so you’re effectively trading protection for the ability to stay cooler and more comfortable when working hard.

Sorry, outdoor clothing geek mode off, but ‘wind resistant’ is genuinely a thing, honest guv 🙁

chakaping
    Free Member

I have only tried a fraction of the softshells that BWD has, but would totally agree with his explanation.

I have one windproof softshell that’s basically too hot to ride in, another that’s only good for cold weather and then a few that are not as windproof (so “wind resistant” I guess) but still do a perfectly adequate job on the bike.

What seasons is it for OP and what’s the budget?

If you are medium or a tubster, this is a steal and good for biking.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

What BWD says basically. I’ve got a Rab Sawtooth and I have on a couple of occasions felt like it’s not quite doing the job, e.g. on the tops in the Lakes with 40+mph winds and freezing temps. But on balance I’m more than happy with the trade-off between breathability and absolute windproofness, and it’s one of my favourite bits of kit.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Windproof or wind resistant jackets..the difference?’ is closed to new replies.