Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Windows XP. Will I die?
  • Harry_the_Spider

We have a couple of older PCs in the house that run on XP with MSE protection.

1) Will I die if I just leave them as they are?

2) Is it worth updating to a newer version of Windows from a faff & expense point of view?

wwaswas

You’ll probably be fine. Over time as exploits are found they will become vulnerable but chances are you’ll be ok for a few years.

The NHS, on the other hand, have over a million devices still running windows XP and have just given Microsoft another £50 million to carry on supporting them for another year…

darrenspink
    Free Member

1… no but your computer might
    2… yes if you can, might be easier just getting a new cheap computer or laptop with windows 7 on.

All depends on how much you value whats on those computers. If they get infected with malware in the future and they become unusable can you do without them?

cranberry
    Free Member

1. Yes, eventually

2. I really wouldn’t want to do anything confidential, like internet banking, on a machine that has been abandoned in terms of fixing security holes. If you need a machine that can be trusted not to be infected with malware then I would say yes. Some will suggest installing Linux in place of XP on the machines to allow you to keep using the machines. If you have some time and patience and only use the PCs as browsers* then this might well be a viable alternative.

* Yes, liunx can do a lot more than that, but it is fairly simple to convert to using it for simple tasks, the more you want to do the more you will need to geek up.

Harry_the_Spider

Right. Thanks for that. Bearing in mind that I’m a bit of a luddite I have a 3rd question. I’ve got an XP machine that I bought from my previous employer. It is clean and has nothing on it except Office 2007. This will become my wife’s new PC as her old one is becoming increasingly unreliable.

3) If I were to upgrade from XP to Windows 7 would the Office need to be reinstalled?

Cougar

One thing I spotted the other day that no-one seems to be talking about,

When XP retires, the updates for MSE XP will also stop.

3) If I were to upgrade from XP to Windows 7 would the Office need to be reinstalled?

If you do an in-place upgrade over the existing install then no, is should Just Work. Run the Upgrade Advisor first, make sure you don’t get any surprises.

If you do a wipe and clean install then yes, you’ll obviously need to reinstall it. If you get the licence key and media first, there shouldn’t be anything stopping you from doing so.

scaredypants

3) yes, AFAIK anyway. The upgrade is eefectively a new installation; it’ll keep your old windows stuff in separate folder I think, but you can’t run programs from there

bows to cougar’s actual knowledge

Cougar

^^ that would be a parallel install. You can upgrade in situ, which should dodge that bullet.

(IME though, it takes a hellishly long time.)

Of note also is you can’t go from a 32-bit XP install directly to W7 x64, if that matters (which it shouldn’t on an older machine).

muddy_bum
    Free Member

I would think you will need to reinstall. Make sure that you have the CD key you can find it by running a keyfinder (Magic Jellybean or similar)
    You can then download a backup copy of the Office 2007 install files.
    Office Backup Media downloadIts right at the bottom.

XP to Win7 uppgrade advice.

enfht
    Free Member

You’ll probably be fine. Over time as exploits are found they will become vulnerable but chances are you’ll be ok for a few years until next month’s Windows updates are reverse engineered and used to attack XP.

The only unknown is what patches will be released in the future for existing vulnerabilities, how severe they are, and how they will be used to attack XP, ie8, Office 2003 etc.

So in summary you may or may not be totally screwed.

leffeboy

afaik yes you will need to reinstall all your programs or at least I haven’t found a way of not doing so and it seems to be what MS says

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7#T1=tab01 “You’ll need to reinstall your programs by hand after installing Windows 7.”

I’d love to know it there was a way of avoiding that though

If you are keeping XP then I think you need to change your AV soft as MSE is stopping for XP as well. Avast seems a good option

edit:muddy_bum beat me to it

Harry_the_Spider

Urgh. I hate computers.

This thing will only be used for home accounting, internet browsing, and (most importantly) on-line banking.

I can buy a download copy of Windows 7 Home Edition, but don’t want to lose MS Office. The machine was bought from a former employer with Office pre-installed and I don’t have the discs.

If I was to ditch MSE and replace it with AVAST would/should that keep it safe? We’re not interested in running the latest software or games, we just need it for home finance Word and Excel.

enfht
    Free Member

Short answer is a no. You need to ditch XP, and if you’re using them ie8 and Office 2003 as well.

Home accounting, internet browsing and online banking from an XP machine are exactly what the bad guys want you to do.

Stay safe out there guys 8) 😉

Northwind

Do you definitely want to stick with office? I was annoyed to lose my ancient office install when I went to 7 but I just switched to openoffice, which is mostly equivalent. Has occasional weirdness mind.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Have a look at Google Docs and Open Office, if your just doing basic stuff you probably won’t notice the difference. Support for office 2003 also ends today.

If the specs will allow it head for Win7 then look at the office options above or Office 365 is 80 quid a year for up to 5 pc’s at home. It’s fairly cheap for what it is.

footflaps

I can buy a download copy of Windows 7 Home Edition, but don’t want to lose MS Office. The machine was bought from a former employer with Office pre-installed and I don’t have the discs.

You need to get the license key from your existing Office install using: http://www.pcworld.com/article/231588/magical_jelly_bean_keyfinder.html Then download the tar ball of the installation DVD so you can re-install it and then enter the key.

It might work, depending on the office version…

Actually I might have a set of Office 2000/2003 OEM install discs at home you can have (assuming I can find them).

D0NK

Accounting and online banking, def ditch the XP
    Open office is free, might do everything you want you may just need to learn some new buttons/process.

If you have a spare hard drive (if not it’s arguably worth buying one anyway and keeping the old one “just in case”) install linux and open office on that and see if it does everything you want – linux plus an office package is generally pretty easy to install nowadays. If not buy win7.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Actually I might have a set of Office 2000/2003 OEM install discs at home you can have (assuming I can find them).

Support and security patching for Office 2003 ends today so it’s just as vulnerable as XP.

footflaps

Support and security patching for Office 2003 ends today so it’s just as vulnerable as XP.

Not really, XP is connected to the Internet (if you’re online), whereas Office isn’t, so you have to download something first and open it with Office to be exposed….

Cougar

bows to cougar’s actual knowledge

… which was wrong. I really shouldn’t give out advice pre-coffee.

Ignore what I said above. You can’t do an in-place upgrade of XP straight to W7 (you’d have to go via Vista if you really wanted to do that).

allthepies
    Free Member

When XP retires, the updates for MSE XP will also stop

Not quite. The MSE XP application will be retired but if you already have it installed then virus signature updates will continue “for a limited time”.

Microsoft will also stop providing Microsoft Security Essentials for download on Windows XP on this date. (If you already have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, you will continue to receive antimalware signature updates for a limited time.

kiwijohn

With a bit of luck I’ll get a new computer at work 😀

Squidlord
    Free Member

My mother uses an XP machine to buy train tickets etc. She’s got AVG installed as well, but on the other hand, she seems to love dodgy toolbars. How much of a ball-ache would it be to upgrade her?

Her computer, I mean.

molgrips
    Free Member

Some will suggest installing Linux in place of XP on the machines to allow you to keep using the machines. If you have some time and patience and only use the PCs as browsers* then this might well be a viable alternative.

On the subject of Linux, you can now get Google Chrome for Linux which will mean you can effectively use Linux as a Chromebook. Almost all functionality of Chromebooks is available through the normal Chrome browser.

Someone should release a distribution like this.

EDIT I should’ve searched better.. apparently there is one called Cr OS Linux http://getchrome.eu/download.php

Alex

We had the same problem. Old (12 years or thereabouts) desktop that my eldest uses for Internet and stuff. Since she’s trying to explore the entire web through the power of Tumblr, we decided XP wasn’t a good OS option.

Machine is so old and pretty clapped out (state of the art when we bought it!) we’ve donated it to charity and bought a spanking new Toshiba Laptop with Win 8.1. Easy decision as desktop needs a new HDD and a copy of Win 7 or 8. And the thought of downloading it off microsoft with a 2mb internet connection wasn’t appearing….

Harry_the_Spider

Right then, weighing things up this is going to cost me about £400 to replace a perfectly good (if a little old) XP PC with a Windows 8 one and get Office 2013 to replace the 2007.

You can’t fault Microsoft’s business model.

I’m just glad that the motor manufacturers don’t do the same or next year we’d all have to scrap our cars because petrol and diesel have been ditched and the new fuel is Tizer.

At this point I would really like to meet the CEO of Microsoft and stand on his throat.

D0NK

It may be that I’ve gotten used to everything being so shortlived but 2001-2014 doesn’t sound a bad stint for XP, and of course if it’s off the internet it’ll keep on going until the hardware dies, you’re only really upgrading* so you can interact with the rest of the world.

*if win 8 is an upgrade.

Harry_the_Spider

But it still works!

I know, progress and all that, but allow me to be a little pissed off.

What next? Bike manufacturers making our wheels obsolete?

Del

just how old is this machine?
    i’m happily running 7 on an atom based netbook with 2gb of ram. it’s about 5 years old and came with XP.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’m just glad that the motor manufacturers don’t do the same or next year we’d all have to scrap our cars because petrol and diesel have been ditched and the new fuel is Tizer.

Don’t most cars have a parts support lifespan of 10 years?

Harry_the_Spider

just how old is this machine?

Probably 8 years. It is my old works computer, so the spec is quite high. Don’t know how long it will last so it probably makes sense to get a new one in the long run.

Don’t most cars have a parts support lifespan of 10 years?

By which time they have worn out. Unlike my perfectly good PC.

Cougar

Not quite. The MSE XP application will be retired but if you already have it installed then virus signature updates will continue “for a limited time”.

I may be wrong / misremembering because I was addled when I saw it, but I had a pop-up from MSE a few days ago warning that it was going to be unsupported.

TBH though, it could have told me that the moon was made of fish and I’d have gone “oh, ok.”

Right then, weighing things up this is going to cost me about £400 to replace a perfectly good (if a little old) XP PC with a Windows 8 one and get Office 2013 to replace the 2007.

Or you could do what everyone else has suggested, and install W7/8 on what you have, then reinstall Office 07 or LibreOffice.

I don’t really understand the implication that you’re somehow being stiffed by Microsoft because they’re no longer actively developing a twelve year old OS that’s been superseded three times. There’s nothing stopping you upgrading, or not upgrading, at your discretion.

lemonysam
    Free Member

By which time they have worn out. Unlike my perfectly good PC.

Your PC will continue to function exactly as it does today until it falls over. This will require you to take more responsibility for avoiding things which will shorten the lifespan of the machine. What you’re asking is for them to keep making replacement components and giving them to you for free forever and ever.

molgrips
    Free Member

You definitely don’t need a new PC. Worst case is you need to buy W8, which will run fine.

There are plenty of alternatives.

Harry_the_Spider

I know, I know. I’m just having a whinge!

I’ll see if the old PC can take Windows 8 and take it from there.

D0NK

win 7 home premium? I’ve only dabbled with win8 on other peoples PCs but I hate it. 8.1 on a touch screen system is supposedly “alright” but I’ll probably be sticking with 7 for a while yet.

edhornby

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-xp-support-ends-survival-tips-to-stay-safe-7000028188/

this is all good advice if you are going to stick with XP

you could easily install linux mint on the spare space on the disk and use this for internet banking etc but you’ll still be able to boot to XP if you need something windows specific

and
    http://www.zdnet.com/linux-mint-programs-for-windows-xp-users-7000028049/?s_cid=e505&ttag=e505&ftag=TRE0fb9d06

ononeorange

We have a newish laptop with xp and unfortunately I don’t understand 90 per cent of this thread – I am not tecchie at all!

Can someone please gently explain in simple terms what we should do – don’t want to buy new as it’s almost new! We long ago stopped the Microsoft updates as they just hammered the hard drive – most of the time now it’s running constantly and takes forever to do anything.

Simple words please…..! Thanks

molgrips
    Free Member

Right. Microsoft Windows is an operating system. They keep changing the version – XP came out a long time ago, then Windows 7, now Windows 8. You can buy Windows 8 on a CD from a shop and install it.

Because XP is now so old, Microsoft have stopped making updates for it. So if some nefarious type finds a NEW way to hack into your computer or give it a virus, no-one’s going to bring out an update to stop this happening.

You are still *pretty much* safe, as long as you follow common online sense. You may install W8, it will probably work but may not depending on how puny your laptop is.

You could also install Linux which is another operating system that is free. It comes in hundreds of different versions, some of which are friendly, some of which are not. I would not normally recommend it for a non-techie but it’s preferable to binning a working laptop and spending money on a new one. IF you only want to surf and email etc then it can be pretty easy. It will work well on old machines.

There are various reasons why your current machine is thrashing its hard disk and taking ages – too complex to go into but it’s probably due to you having installed lots of software that’s taking up RAM and you not realising it.

Tonight I’ll be investigating a form of Linux that I might feel confident in recommending to non-techies…

chestrockwell

Right. Microsoft Windows is an operating system. They keep changing the version – XP came out a long time ago, then Windows 7, now Windows 8. You can buy Windows 8 on a CD from a shop and install it.

You forgot about Vista.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Windows XP. Will I die?’ is closed to new replies.