Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Windows XP Problem… Please help!
  • mboy
    Free Member

HELP!

All my files, and programmes, seem to have disappeared… I can only start or open anything that I have created a desktop shortcut to!

I have done the sensible thing of immediately updating my antivirus (malwarebytes) and running it, and it detected 3 viruses which it subsequently removed. I rebooted, and there’s still nothing…

All files and programmes are still there, cos if I do a “search” and type in a file name I know, then it brings it up… But if you search the folders, all it says in the “Details” box in the bottom left hand side of the window, is “Attributes: Hidden”… Is this my problem? How do I reinstate everything?

Cheers in advance

dh
    Free Member

try a system restore, then reupdate malware bytes is maybe worth a bash?

mboy
    Free Member

Problem is I don’t know when the last system restore was done… And just as I was thinking to myself the other day “I really should buy an external HD and back everything up” this happens…

😕

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aracer
    Free Member

Problem is I don’t know when the last system restore was done

If it wasn’t that recent, that just means more effort putting stuff back on (and might even be beneficial in terms of having less junk!) You shouldn’t lose anything important.

mboy
    Free Member

Cheers for the link trampus, just trying out that Super Anti Spyware now, run from my USB stick… Will see how that fares

Understand where you’re coming from aracer, it’s just there’s some photos I put on recently I need to access… The rest of it doesn’t matter so much, and yes, my computer needs a MASSIVE cleanout anyway… Was thinking I will buy an external HD soon, back up all my documents, then do a complete OS reinstall…

aracer
    Free Member

, it’s just there’s some photos I put on recently I need to access…

But a system restore (if you have one) won’t touch your data, just your OS and system files.

Cougar

There’s a specific infection that does this,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-windows-recovery

(Kudos to xherbivorex for spotting it last time)

Cougar

it detected 3 viruses

The names of these would be helpful.

As an aside,

updating my antivirus (malwarebytes)

MBAM isn’t an Antivirus solution. I’d suggest that once we get your immediate issue addressed, we have a discussion about preventative maintenance.

nickjb
    Free Member

… and sensible backing up

Cougar

… complete with obfuscated referrer ID. Naughty naughty.

Xylene
    Free Member

get Hitman.

That is the only program that has properly cleared my pc so far.

Malwarebyts, superantispyware and the others just couldn’t shift waht Hitman could

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Windows XP Problem… Please help!’ is closed to new replies.