Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Windows xp boots but icons missing and start key. Help please.
  • King-ocelot
    Free Member

Hello my nephew has a PC running XP, when it boots there are only a few icons showing and the start key, task bar are absent. A bit if googling but no remedy I can see, plus I’m not too tech savvy with windows these days. The lads got learning difficulties and is upset about not getting his PC working, he’s been offered a new PC/laptop windows 7 but he just wants his fixed. If anyone can offer a solution we would greatly apprichite it. He said it started last week but sometimes it worked ok, I just tried to switch it on 10 times and the issue has been there.

dmorts

Check the taskbar/start button isn’t hidden at the bottom of the screen. You can set it to only appear when the mouse is moved to the bottom of the screen. So move the mouse to the bottom of the screen to check

The missing icons might be due to a virus, being accidentally deleted (check recycle bin) or you’re somehow logging in as a different user to normal

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

system restore to the last good working point?

There was some sort of update to windows xp (the last one before MS withdraws support) which has messed things up. Might be linked to that if its only just happened.

Or alternatively a virus/malware. I use malwarebytes which finds a lot, and cc cleaner, with Avast Anti Virus, which seems me reasonably safe.

allthepies
    Free Member

Firstly I’d run a Malwarebytes scan to check there’s nothing nasty running on the machine.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thanks, he’s been trying to boot it up for the last hour. The task bar is visible but is blank (ie it’s just the outline) i can get into explorer so will attempt to run virus scanners as suggested.

enfht
    Free Member

First things first, reboot, F8, Last Known Good Configuration and see if that works.

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

could be explorer.exe

do CTRL/ALT/DEL and choose task manager. on the processes tab find explorer.exe, highlight and choose end task.
    the click on FILE / New Task and type EXPLORER and hit ok.

oldnpastit

Hasn’t XP been end-of-lifed by Microsoft now? So no new antivirus updates.

Cougar

Does it come up cleanly in Safe Mode?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

MSE will not have any more from what I understand, there will be no more security patches unless your an inept government department willing to waste tax payers money as you missed all the warnings, emails and communications stating end of life.

3rd party AV will still update if they are going to continue to support it.

I’d expect a few more XP WTF posts in the next few months.

Hello my nephew has a PC running XP

First thing it tell him to stop going to those websites and not to click on things.

chojin
    Free Member

MSE will not have any more from what I understand, there will be no more security patches unless your an inept government department willing to waste tax payers money as you missed all the warnings, emails and communications stating end of life.

Or… You’re forced to come out of the licencing agreement with Microsoft because of draconian budget cuts, leaving you stranded on XP…

samuri
    Free Member

Or you live in China or you’re one of the 300 million desktop users still on it.

Of course, most of us regularly use XP. Virtually all of the world’s ATM’s run XP.

allthepies
    Free Member

MSE updates are still being supplied for XP, but for a “limited period” apparently.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    Does it come up cleanly in Safe Mode?
    POSTED 5 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Thanks, yes it’s all fine in safe mode. If I’m honest I looks like his parents are going to use this as an excuse to get him a new laptop. He struggles with letting his things ‘go’ /change.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Windows xp boots but icons missing and start key. Help please.’ is closed to new replies.