Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Windows Vista internet problems…
  • rkk01
    Free Member

So, the family laptop is playing up…

Mrs rkk01 can’t access internet sites that she needs to view for work – in fact anything with an https address. I’ve been through the various settings, but cannot work out what I need to change. Doesn’t even want to download from MS updates site…!

Family use has inevitably slowed the machine go a crawl, despite regular ccleaner use.
    The main problem (IMHO) is the Vista OS, which I’ve never been familiar with (I kept XP for ages then moved to W7). I do have a W7oem disc somewhere, but a) that would be naughty, and b) I was looking for a quicker fix than the (inevitable) OS rebuild 😡

Any help much appreciated!

Cougar

Malwarebytes scan would be my first port of call.

Cougar

Or if it’s a recent thing, try System Restore?

rkk01
    Free Member

Cheers, will run malwarebytes…

A bit of housekeeping appears to have speeded things up, but haven’t got to the bottom of the Internet access issue.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

+1 for Malwarebytes Also download and run the latest Chrome if you don’t already.

brassneck

Had the same issue once, dropping the outbound MTU on the router fixed it – went to 1300 and tweaked it back up slowly till https stopped working, then rolled it back. This was on multiple OS platforms though, so the above advice is better to start with.

New router didn’t have this problem. Which was nice.

rkk01
    Free Member

Ok. So PUP.Mindspark isolated and removed… 😡

Laptop much happier and quicker now! But still not able to access the website that Mrs rkk01 needed to access…!
    Turns out it needs IE10, which isn’t Vista compatible… Simplest of things…

Edukator
    Free Member

Only IE10? What about Firefox, Chrome or whatever.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Windows Vista internet problems…’ is closed to new replies.