Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Windows Update
  • milky1980
    Free Member

Why is it so unbelievably awful 👿

My laptop’s just done the latest round of updates and it’s gone from a fast, faultless computer to a laggy, useless mess! All the system sounds are back on, every possible Windows App is switched on and the harddrive is running constantly. Fan is doing a great impression of a hairdryer and the CPU is tied up doing Windows stuff so no power left to do anything useful.

Hopeless 😐

molgrips
    Free Member

How long have you given it? Sounds like it’s in the middle of a multi-part update.

What’s causing the CPU usage? Can you use Resource monitor and find out?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Bites tongue. Have to help BIL with a new W10 computer soon ….

molgrips
    Free Member

You can roll updates back, if you find out which has been installed. But you want to figure out which is the culprit.

mtbcowboy
    Free Member

Microsoft OS = mass market c**p

You could try ubuntu Ubuntu.

and you can partition and keep the windows part. Some people used to go to mac because they were annoyed with windows XP being pants. Now Mac are stopping supporting updates after 3 years and they are having problems like windows used to have. Ubuntu is definitely worth trying.

scotroutes

Win 10 is working fine for me. Disk activity during an update download seems high but it always installs OK and works fine afterwards. That’s on a 6-year old ex-Win 7 machine. I’d always planned to try a complete Win 10 clean install some time but there doesn’t seem to be any need.

Cougar

Bites tongue.

There’s always one.

You could try ubuntu Ubuntu.

There’s always one.

Which version of Windows?

Cougar

Some people used to go to mac because they were annoyed with windows XP being pants.

XP was ~fifteen years ago.

milky1980
    Free Member

I can’t do anything with it! It just boots up, says it’s configuring windows, launches windows then crashes as soon as you try to do anything. it then shuts down saying it’s configuring windows, then shuts down and satrts all over again when I start it again. On the third cycle if this so far.

All I want to do is log into my online banking and pay my credit card bill 🙁

milky1980
    Free Member

It’s a fresh install of W10 on a 6 year old machine originally running W7.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Aniversary edition did similar to my w10 laptop.
    I uninstalled and turned metered wi-fi back on to stop ms buggering my around with my machine.
    I do this all week at work, I don’t want to be cockng around with computers in the evening.

johnners
    Free Member

turned metered wi-fi back on to stop ms buggering my around with my machine

Well, those botnets have to come from somewhere I suppose…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is it update day today? Will see how the 4 stable windows 10 machines behave then.

cheers_drive

Bites tongue. Have to help BIL with a new W10 computer soon ….

Sympathies but it’s better than helping the FIL or MIL with IT

molgrips
    Free Member

I can’t do anything with it! It just boots up, says it’s configuring windows, launches windows then crashes as soon as you try to do anything. it then shuts down saying it’s configuring windows, then shuts down and satrts all over again when I start it again. On the third cycle if this so far.

Hmm.. tricky.. it’s buggered. Might have to start in safe mode and try and roll updates back, then let it update again.

Yes, it sucks when it goes wrong, but remember there are many millions of PCs out there updating fine all the time.

milky1980
    Free Member

Well leaving it alone to it’s own devices has got it working, sort of.

It is now useable for about 20 mins before the whole lot overheats then shuts down again. Keeps on running disc repair of some sort then loads up again. Done some digging and it seems to be the anniversary updates it’s trying to install (going by the update number) and what I’m experiencing is pretty common. Seems that going through the process 10-15 times should sort it.

On try number 9 so far… 😕

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Windows Update’ is closed to new replies.