Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Windows / restore help please
  • DT78
    Free Member

So my new Lenovo z50 is borked already. It got stuck at continuously showing windows update on load. Lenovo auto repair couldn’t fix it so I did a system refresh, back to October when I bought it. I now get to the login screen and can login okay, but the screen is just black. Ctrl alt delete brings up task manager and I can switch user / log off etc. plenty of background processes going, so it doing stuff.

I have limited knowledge about what to look for, and following random advice off Google seems to have made things worse.

This all started when I asked for Mcafee to be uninstalled as it was trying to extort money from me after its free period….

Edit seems to be mc shield (mcafee) and mcods.exe using loads of cpu and disk along with svchost.exe

Any pointers appreciated

Jake25

Not sure how much this will help but try this anyway.

Once you have logged in and have pulled up the “Ctrl Alt Delete” screen click on Task Manager.
    Once that opens click on the file menu and “New Task(Run)”
    In the box that opens type in “explorer.exe” but without the “”. That should get the Windows GUI to load so you can do things
    Go to this page http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht072717?tabName=Solutions and use their tools to totally uninstall McAfee and hopefuly that will give you a working system.

Failing that Format the machine and install a Linux OS instead 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

Nope explorer not working. Chrome loads but think it doesn’t have wifi connection, can get to command panel as well. If you leave it long enough I get a mcafee ui host is not responding error. Looks like I will have to pay £50 for a laptop repair. If only Apple sold kit that I could afford.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DT78
    Free Member

Ended up having to do a full restore instead of just a refresh to fix it. pita but done now. Still have mcafee though, it is like a virus….

unovolo
    Free Member

Still trying to figure out why anyone in there right mind would bother with McAfee or Norton as they both seem to be resource hungry and cause more issues than a bloody virus would.

I appreciate quite often they come preloaded on a PC/Laptop first thing I do with any of mine is remove them and install Bitdefender instead.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Windows / restore help please’ is closed to new replies.