Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Window's Phones-Advice needed
  • KarlE
    Free Member

I am looking into buying a new mobile and was just wondering if anyone has got any experience of window’s phones as i have been looking at the nokia Lumia 930. Any comments welcome 🙂
    Cheers

dude
    Free Member

I like mine. I have the Lumia 820. Got it when it first came out. I am due an upgrade soon and will either be keeping this one or getting another windows phone.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I too have the Lumia 820. My contract is up next month & I’m not sure I’ll even bother upgrading, the phone is that good IMO.
    The system is very intuitive and stable, the camera and apps are really good – better than I can use if I’m honest.
    Wouldn’t go back to Android, its really clunky by comparison.

KarlE
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments guys,sounds promising 🙂

1-shed
    Free Member

I’ve got the 1020 love it great camera this is my 2nd Windows phone

robbo76
    Free Member

I’ve got the 520 very good phone I will be upgrading to the 920 soon

zippykona

I find windows phones the easiest to use.
    Very similar to an iPhone but with a back button and the ability to swap batteries.
    Ultimately I went android as Windows dropped the Scrabble app.I’m surprised that there isn’t a full compliment of Windows apps. Sort that out and I will be back.

hopster
    Free Member

Had a 930 since it was launched. Had the 920 before and I rate them both highly. Great camera, really like the UI and contrary to popular beliefs has lots of apps. Most of the popular ones are available and the only one I am missing is a banking app.

hopster
    Free Member

Oh and its not going to bend in your pocket because like most Nokia phones its solidly built. 😀

andyfla
    Free Member

I had an 820 for about 8 months – hated it, some nice features, but lack of mainstream apps was the killer for me.
    Was very clunky compared to the iPhone or Galaxy offerings

mudshark
    Free Member

I think my 520 is excellent – it’s a basic model but I see no reason to upgrade. Lack of apps is a shame though.

ernie

Got a 920, love it. Great camera, works well and plenty of apps if you like that sort of thing. Don’t understand the claim that there are not enough apps, looking on the apps store there is an abundance. The standard maps software is superb as is the sat nav.

simon_g

If you can live with the meagre selection and quality of apps, they’re not bad at all. I couldn’t though.

mudshark
    Free Member

Don’t understand the claim that there are not enough apps

Well, no Strava!

seadog101

My Lumia 800 is bomb proof. Even I, in my cack handed fumbling, have not bust it yet.

ernie

Thank goodness there is no strava!

waihiboy
    Free Member

hi,

i have a lumia 625, the only negatives for me is the crap screen, camera, and the keyboard is crap, maybe its me but after nearly 6 months of usage i still cant type a text message in one go without full stops appearing or spelling words wrong. i used to have an S5 and the keyboard was way better, then again it could be the crap screen? im no expert.

but im guessing the one you want will be better in all departments.

ref apps, they are lacking a bit but nothing too much to worry about, ebay is fine but autotrader can crash quite alot.

oh it does hang a little bit aswell and you have to reboot it, maybe twice a week.

metalheart
    Free Member

I’ve had a 920 for approx the last year. Bought to replace an iPhone 4 (couldn’t bring myself to spend £500+ on another one….).

I’ve found the email to much quicker than the iPhone (using Outlook) but I’ve never gotten used to the keyboard.

I thought it was borked the other week (screen would go blank during a call, but it turned out to be only dirt on the sensor/ screen protector and was easy fixed, phew). Camera is decent enough too.

Can’t really be bothered with apps (other than weather). So not fussed on that score.

Pretty pleased with it over all though and not bad for £200.

dannybgoode

I have the 930 and it is simply the best phone I have owned. I have used WP since v7 but have owned android phones and have spent plenty of time with iOS and personally think WP beats them both.

The app deficit is nowhere near what it was, nearly all the major apps are there and there are some excellent games. If you run Windows 8 the integration is excellent between the two.

As others have said also the 930 is built like a tank, the screen is very very nice and it has an excellent camera. Battery life under the very latest build (I run the dev preview versions so am usually a couple of releases ahead) is coming on for 2 days and I am a reasonably heavy user.

mutley

Had a 930 for two months after 2 years with a 920.

It is a great phone, superb camera, great Office integration, OneDrive, and loads of apps. Plus top class Nokia sat nav and maps

Get one

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

820 here, nearly up for renewal.

Dislike – crap camera. No Strava or Spotify. I find the Sat Nav crap.

Like – Android just isn’t as slick or fast. Apple is way more pricey and does nothing better.

-m-
    Free Member

the keyboard is crap, maybe its me but after nearly 6 months of usage i still cant type a text message in one go without full stops appearing or spelling words wrong

Latest Windows Phone 8.1 includes a swype-style keyboard which (for me) works really well on a Lumia 620 (which has a relatively small screen).

I’ve been using my Lumia for a couple of years and actually like the way the whole thing works. I’m not a big app user, but don’t feel I’ve made any major compromises in not having an Android or iOS device.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

With regards to the keyboard, Windows 8.1 has the swipe keyboard built in – you just trace out the words. I find it works very well.

I rock a 520. Cheap, but gets the job done and only cost £50 if you break them.

I’m off the 2 year contract crap and now pay £50 for the phone and £12 a month mobile instead of 24x£30

waihiboy
    Free Member

“swipe keyboard”…

right i may show myself up totally here….

wtf are you talking about??? 😥

(im 99% sure i have the 8.1 )

waihiboy
    Free Member

wtf….

found it, just keep your finger on the screen and,… well… swipe holy sh*t thats easier!!

hangs head in shame….

thv3
    Free Member

I switched to a Lumia 1020 about a week ago from Android, very happy so far.

Literally the only app I can’t find a Windows version for is Strava, and to be honest I never used it on the phone anyway as I’ve got a Garmin.

Needless to say the camera on the 1020 is very good.

dannybgoode

@FD-Spotify is now available. Just search the store

More generally Cortana is superb too. Really very useful. All my work appointments are invites from work’s systems which drop into my calendar. As I have the postcodes in the location field Cortana will let me know, taking current traffic into account, when I need to leave and offer to drop me into the sat nav to get me there.

Someone texts you with a date in it. Tap the date and it takes you straight to the calendar to make the appointment.

Voice recognition is spot on too as are contextual reminders. For eg I can ask Cortana to remind me to ask my mum something next time I speak to her. Then, when I next text or call her that reminder pops up. Or, you could ask her to remind you to pick something up next time you’re in Tesco. Hey presto, next time you’re in any Tesco store she reminds you.

Really is excellent stuff and just that bit more versatile than Siri or Google Now (yes I have used all three).

porlus
    Free Member

Lumia 920 here. Got it at launch, so coming up to two years for me. Currently its on contract with T-Mobile. Like that phone that much, im keeping it and moving over to GiffGaff.

molgrips
    Free Member

Love my 920. Well built, get the official gel case for it. Android looks awful and crude now.

We use the family room stuff in our house – dead useful.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Who needs Strava when you can have Striver?!

I’ve got a Lumia 1020, had an iphone for work and a personal android phone previously and much prefer the interface etc.

The only missing app which I can’t find a workaround for is Viewranger or similar for OS mapping, there’s nothing out there.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Danny, cheers, was still premium only when I last checked.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Already have a strava link through my Mio gps but found striver today. Personally prefer Endomondo so that’s easy with W8.1.

dannybgoode

@IvanD. Have a look at NaviComputer. Closest I’ve found to an OS maps solution.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Cheers for that, downloaded and it looks good – I’ll have a play with it and see how it goes.

unovolo
    Free Member

I’m on my third one started with a Lumia 800, which I dropped and smashed on some cobbles, bought a 520 as a stopgap whilst it got repaired but carried on using it and have recently upgraded to a Lumia 925.

Have to use a Iphone for for work and hate it in comparison, I think out of Android ,IOS and Win phone the iphones keyboard is the worst to use and the predictive text/word substitution is very annoying.

I certainly won’t be changing from Win phone.

nickhart
    Free Member

Another 1020 here, after an 800 something or other. I love the speed of the thing, the camera is awesome, the new functionality of the operating system is brilliant. Gorilla glass is phenomenal, the last one had one scratch in three years of pocket abuse, no protector, and the new one is still unblemished despite sharing a pocket with my house keys and a pocket in my osprey pack.
    For me its way better than apple. The only thing that I haven’t found as easy as on an apple product is getting music onto the phone but for me it’s not a big issue.

dannybgoode

@nickh-dead easy. Plug your phone in, open it like you would a USB stick or memory card. Go to the music folder and drag and drop. Much easier than pissing around with iTunes.

Flaperon

I have a Lumia 930 – really rate it though a bit chunky. Stunning camera.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Strava emulator = Baika

philtricklebank

The only missing app which I can’t find a workaround for is Viewranger or similar for OS mapping, there’s nothing out there.

I found this too. I’ve been trying a 1020 for the last month which has the same camera as my old Symbian 808 PV. Have to say I miss a few things in terms of functionality compared to the old (now obsolete!) OS, notably HDMI output, FM transmitter and the ability to turn off 3G network to save battery, and simple things like a hardware torch light. I don’t like this trend towards sealed batteries either, I can take charged spares for the 808 and change them around during mountain trips. Currently got the SIM back in the 808 as the 1020 camera is so slow to load up and between shots. Ahhh the good old days!

I emailed Viewranger and they said there will be a WP version, they just can’t say when, until then I’m sticking with Symbian. Strava on the other hand have pretty much ruled it out.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Window's Phones-Advice needed’ is closed to new replies.