Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • windows phone – underwhelmed
  • Pook

I got an htc windows phone yesterday and i’m just a bit underwhelmed with it. No Google support for calendar and synching as of jan 30th so i can’t get that working well.

all in all its a bit ‘meh’

anyone else?

ComradeD
    Free Member

should have got a Nexus 4. How long have you had it? Less than 14 days and you can send it back surely

nbt

if you wanna use Google, get an android.

If you want to use a windows phone, use Windows Live calendar through outlook / hotmail

I’ll swap your windows phone for my android phone if you want?

Pook

Yeah, just a day. I’m thought i’d give it a chance.

samuri
    Free Member

My lad loves his

ComradeD
    Free Member

Have you got it contract or have you bought it?

I can’t recommend the Nexus 4 enough. Seriously fast phone and is synced up with Google and what you get with them is amazing. Everything that you could possibly want is already installed by them. Also Google music lets you upload 20,000 songs for free to play anytime.

I bought a Nexus 4 and a cheap 3 monthly sim with unlimited data and it awesome

Pook

Contract, but I’m still in the cooling off period

giantx4
    Free Member

Mate!… Send windows thingy back… Get iphone!… Can get iphone 4 now for 20 odd quid… I just have… It just works!! Android sucks in comparison beleive me,,,

Flaperon

I went from being a hardcore Android user to Windows Phone about 3 months ago, and while it’s difficult at first it’s worth it in the end.

1). Ditch Google Calendar and use the Hotmail one. They’re basically the same thing, though I’m sure I could sync Google calendars too. Hotmail is easier. Google announced that they’d extended the support for syncing up to June this year, but perhaps just for Gmail?

2). Forward all your Gmail stuff to your Outlook account. Outlook is far *far* better than Gmail, and I’ve been using Gmail since it was an invite-only system. You can also set it up for domains for free, which Google charge for.

That’s it. I route both my personal and work email through the phone; the music player works fairly well (use a free app called MPAtool to get all the artist backgrounds); the only game I need is Wordament; and Rowi makes an excellent Twitter app.

I was seriously tempted by a Nexus 4, but after using both I sold the Nexus on eBay. Android feels unfinished in comparison, though it was brilliant value for money. The iPhone, in comparison, feels about 10 years old and the battery life is terrible.

Though is it worth selling your soul to Google, who don’t exactly have your best interests at heart? All they’re after is information, and the more they get the happier they are….

Garry_Lager

ComradeD – Member

Have you got it contract or have you bought it?

I can’t recommend the Nexus 4 enough. Seriously fast phone and is synced up with Google and what you get with them is amazing. Everything that you could possibly want is already installed by them. Also Google music lets you upload 20,000 songs for free to play anytime.

I bought a Nexus 4 and a cheap 3 monthly sim with unlimited data and it awesome Do you take the nexus out with you on the bike ComradeD? Like the look of it but don’t know how rugged it would be.

zilog6128

Though is it worth selling your soul to Google, who don’t exactly have your best interests at heart? All they’re after is information, and the more they get the happier they are….

LOL, as if Microsoft/Apple/etc are your bezzie mates and have purely altruistic motives

jekkyl

from what I’ve seen and had a shot of a windows phone it’s a phone for kids or for women who haven’t got a clue about such things. Android ftw

giantx4
    Free Member

from what I’ve seen and had a shot of a windows phone it’s a phone for kids or for women who haven’t got a clue about such things. Android ftw

…women…know your place…

Flaperon

@zilog6128

No, of course not. But there’s a difference. Microsoft and Apple revolve around selling software and hardware, respectively (although take into account the cut Apple makes from the App Store). They’re both doing good jobs – Windows Phone is great to use, and the iPhone et al are beautifully made.

But Google does neither. Android is free with no licensing costs, and they don’t make hardware. The few occasions they’ve tried, they’ve screwed it up completely. The Nexus line of devices wasn’t made by them; they didn’t even design in. And even then, they got it wrong. Removable storage? You don’t need that.

So where do they make their money? Well, by using your phone for everything, they’re building an incredibly detailed image of what you’re actually like, down to the deepest, darkest secrets. Now have you any idea how much that information is worth to the right bidder?

Google’s holding onto it for the time being while they try to think of something sufficiently evil and money-making, but ultimately, they’ve got to do something to exploit the data and you’re not going to like it. Their company motto might be “do no evil” but it fell by the wayside a long time ago.

You seen this week’s Black Mirror? That’s the sort of information you’re giving Google. Even as a search engine they’re not that good any more now that most of the results are poisoned by spammers.

chvck
    Free Member

Do you take the nexus out with you on the bike ComradeD? Like the look of it but don’t know how rugged it would be.

I do, it’s fine but i have a little waterproof/shockproof bag i put it in and then throw in rucksack.

You seen this week’s Black Mirror? That’s the sort of information you’re giving Google. Even as a search engine they’re not that good any more now that most of the results are poisoned by spammers.

Anyone who thinks that they aren’t giving loads of information to ANY of these companies is deluded (unless they take the time to go and opt out of everything). They’re also still very good as a search engine to me!

Removable storage? You don’t need that.

Correct! I do not.

zilog6128

Google’s holding onto it for the time being while they try to think of something sufficiently evil and money-making,

FFS, they are a company trying to make money (like everyone else). If you really think they are “evil” you need to give the tinfoil hat a rest. Of course once the blue, red, yellow and green clad stormtroopers overthrow the government and start shooting people in the street I will offer you a full apology. 🙄 I couldn’t give a toss about the data they are collecting. It has been going on for years (Tesco clubcard, insurance companies, etc). If you think no-one has any data on you just because you eschew Google then you are being seriously naïve, and if that is the price I pay for “free” use of the Google search engine, maps, streetview, mail system and all the association technologies that have come about from Google’s innovation then I am glad to pay it.

nickjb
    Free Member

Removable storage? You don’t need that.

That was the one thing putting me off getting the Nexus4, but you know what, I think they were right. I bought one and it turns out I don’t need it. I’ve put all my maps and a chunk music on there and I’ve still got a lot of space left and the access to my on-line storage, which is automatically synced with my home PC, is seamless and fast.

meehaja
    Free Member

Yeah i went from android to windows with a Nokia 820. Thing was, my mind said “windows/google its all the same”. Biggest bug bear is lack of aps. No strava, no instagram, no gstrings plus loads of others i use occasionally. I’m getting used to it after nearly a month, but i haven’t managed to set up the calendar yet, which is the main function i use!

legend
    Free Member

I was getting rid of my android, went to buy a windows phone, took an iPhone instead. Windows seemed to be more style over substance, and was grating on me after about 15mins of use

zilog6128

Biggest bug bear is lack of aps. No strava, no instagram, no gstrings plus loads of others i use occasionally. I’m getting used to it after nearly a month, but i haven’t managed to set up the calendar yet, which is the main function i use!

Hmmm, I’ve always been of the opinion that the App Store was the iPhone’s biggest strength. What is the point of a superfast flashy whizz bang phone if it can’t do anything?

andytherocketeer

wow – someone who actually seems to like w8pho.

Friend got one provided by employer. Seems to pretty much loathe just about everything about it. Brilliant physical hardware (HTC I think), but shockingly useless OS and apps (especially the satnav/navigation/maps).

He’ll be swapping SIM over to his old unlocked Android phone, and keeping the w8pho in the desk.

edit: can maybe understand that if something is imposed on you you’ll hate it more than if you go out specifically to buy it.

GrahamS

Can get iphone 4 now for 20 odd quid… I just have

Aye but how much per month for that price??

Flaperon

zilog6128:-

I didn’t say that. What I said is that the only reason Google is in this business is to collect information. They don’t make money from anything else. I have a Tesco Clubcard and don’t wear a tinfoil hat.

This is not a personal attack on Google (and for some obscure reason you appear to be taking it a bit personally), simply my opinion.

Kamakazie

Google are planning on dropping sync with WP?
    When and how come?

I don’t want to transfer everything to Live!
    Will thus also apply to Gmail Calendar sync with outlook on the PC?

zilog6128

No, not taking it personally 🙂 FWIW I’m a fully paid up Apple fanatic, although I do use GMail & Chrome! It just annoys me when people say that Google is “evil” and thus trivialise many other serious problems – there is a lot of genuine evil in the world; a tech company making money is not part of that – especially when you consider how much they have invested/contributed to the moden web.

Besides, I thought they make most of their money from advertising (which admittedly is connected to their information harvesting). I’m sure they also make some money from corporate use of their technologies (which they do charge for).

giantx4
    Free Member

Grahams,ive seen an iphone4 advertised for £20-25 a mnth, dont know exact deal, i sold my galaxys2 & bought iphone4 & stayed on my contract at £20 mnth 300 mins, unlimited txt, 500 mb web,,, & with vodafone employee discount thingy (if you know anyone working for raf,nhs etc) you get an extra 20% off,so im only paying £16 mnth 🙂

Pook

Kamakazie – January 30th. No new windows phones are supported

GrahamS

bought iphone4 & stayed on my contract at £20 mnth 300 mins, unlimited txt, 500 mb web

So do you mean you bought the iPhone 4 outright (for how much?) and then stayed on your existing contract?

My current O2 contract on my iPhone 4 is £16.50 a month for 100 mins any network, 100 mins O2 to O2, unlimited text and 500MB data + O2 Travel.

But that’s only because I stepped it down after the initial tie-in period.

I’d quite like to go to a 4s or 5, but if I stayed with O2 I’d be looking at £400 upfront + £21.50 a month which is pretty steep.

giantx4
    Free Member

Yes,i voiced my plan of selling s2 & buying a used ios4 off ebay to freinds, and to my delight,one of them had a shattered ios4 on his shelf gathering dust,so i bought for £70 & spent £70 on new front & rear glass & hey presto, i now have a shiny,like new, iphone4 for £140 with £80 spare from sale of the galaxy (£220)… I know someone who refurbs the iphones, he may have one to sell cheap?

giantx4
    Free Member

My mate has a white 5 on ee sealed in box brand new for £410 posted?

GrahamS

No ta. Just bought a bike and I’m off to Slovakia for a lads holiday next week, so I can’t really justify any new toys right now. Thanks anyway.

enfht
    Free Member

Love my 8X device. Some of my users returned their shiny new iPhones and went with the 8X as well.

giantx4
    Free Member

[*]No worries graham!… Enjoy the hol! 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I got myself a windows phone 8 handset when my contract ran out just before Xmas.
    I was pee’d off with Android after having a HTC Wildfire that i hated, and i didn’t want to pay the Apple premium.

Opted for the Nokia 820 because of A) Nokia’s monopoly on OS mapping and the ability to use them offline, & B) i REALLY didn’t want another HTC phone after the WIldfire.

So far i’m loving the operating system, it just works. The idea of having everything you want right to hand (fingertip?) on the start screen is great, hotmail is easy to synch up to the phone and the calender is a doddle. The camera is decent, the ability to snap and send to facebook/twitter/wherever is very easy to use.
    Apps – Nokia have their own apps store so there are more apps with a Nokia set than HTC and so far i’ve not had a problem with missing anything i need. Endomondo is there and i don’t use instagram.

Only had it a month and a half but at the moment i wouldn’t go back to Android, WP8 is a breath of fresh air after Android.

legend
    Free Member

Apps – Nokia have their own apps store so there are more apps with a Nokia set than HTC and so far i’ve not had a problem with missing anything i need. Endomondo is there and i don’t use instagram.

You were doing alright up to that point. I find it very, very hard to believe that Ovi store (is it still Ovi store?) has more apps than Google Marketplace (or whatever it’s called this week)

muddydwarf
    Free Member

It might not, i don’t know as i only ever skimmed the google market place and as i’m not a heavy app user then the handset was great for me.
    TBH most of the apps i found in google i found pointless, after all why do i need an app that eats into my memory just so i can find out what tailor is doing in shanghai? (for example)

GrahamS

why do i need an app that eats into my memory just so i can find out what tailor is doing in shanghai?

Conversely what is the point of preserving lots of unused free space on a phone?

Personally I don’t see the point in a smartphone without apps – which is the main reason I’d avoid Win Mo (for now anyway)

AdamW
    Free Member

As it happens it looks as if my phone has bit the dust.

It is interesting the ecosystems that grow up. I’ve had an iPhone and have a load of apps I now use. Even though the apps don’t cost much it is now my way of working, so to continue I’ll get another iPhone, as I can’t easily replace the apps I use.

Guess it is the same with Android.

daveh
    Free Member

Google has pulled support of its functionality on another OS? Presumably they could do that to iOS if they fancied. Where would iPhone be if Samsung pulled hardware and Google pulled software?!

For these (potentially irrational/irrelevant) reasons I’ve swapped to bet on Google, iPhone out, nexus in.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not concerned about Google having loads of information about me. What’re they going to do with it? Use it to target adverts to me. They already do that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘windows phone – underwhelmed’ is closed to new replies.