Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Windows Media Player problem – 'lost' track one – ready to punch someone!
  • higgo
    Free Member

I decided it was time to sort out my music on the PC. I had quite a bit on here but all in different format, bit rates etc so….
    I deleted to lot.
    I set WMP to rip in lossless WAV, chosen over FLAC because I don't think the standard music player on phone (Nokia 5800) supports FLAC.
    I ripped about 100 CDs and they're all there and correct in both WMP and the folders of Windows Explorer.

All good so far but then….
    I open WMP and it only shows the first three ripped in the library.
    I tried a few things like 'Apply Media Information Changes' but there's still only the three.
    So I unlink the folder containing all the music files from the WMP library and relink and thay all come back.

Except that….
    most[b] of the albums are now missing the first track. For each missing track there's an unknown album with the right album artwork containing just one track called 'Track 1'. And when you look at the files themselves the properties for the first track on all the affected albums has changed – title is changed to 'Track 1' and all the other properties (album, genre etc) are missing.

So WTF do I do?

First off, is there anyway I can correct this simply?
    I can edit the attributes in WMP but I don't think that affects the actual file properties? And it will take an age. And I'll get some of them wrong.

Or can I edit the properties in Windows Explorer? Which will also take an age.

Or do I just delete them all and start again? But if I do, what's to stop it happening again?

I'm not a violent chap but I would happily punch someone about this if only I knew who.

iDave
    Free Member
    Stoner
    Free Member

sounds like a corrupt database to me…

back up before you do this:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/fixing-when-windows-media-player-library-wont-let-you-add-files/

Then re-run the media library search.

higgo
    Free Member

iDave – I would use iTunes but I want to get music onto my Nokia phone.

I'm avoiding the Nokia OVI Music Player as it looks like it was programmed by a 6th form student.

IA

You can drag and drop from iTunes onto a connected nokia. Tis what I do with mine (on a mac admittedly, but I'd expect it to work in windows too).

higgo
    Free Member

Stoner – have just tried the database thing but it's loaded them up just like before.

I think the damage has been done to the actual file properties.

See example below – there are about 100 more like this…

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

The lower league fans have got yer

higgo
    Free Member

The lower league fans have got yer

It's that Bill Gates (supports KFC Wimbledon).

Stoner
    Free Member

try a batch renamer/re-tagger then:
    http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

iDave
    Free Member

i update my nokia using itunes playlists and nokia transfer thingy. Really easily.

higgo
    Free Member

try a batch renamer/re-tagger then

That's probably the sensible idea but I've deleted them all and will be going Apple.

Part of the strategy was to put the CD player in the attic (along with all the CDs) and play music through an iPod and dock so iTunes makes sense if I can get it to manage the music on my phone too.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Windows Media Player problem – 'lost' track one – ready to punch someone!’ is closed to new replies.