Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Windows Media Centre, a server, a TV…put them all together?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

My main PC is my PVR/Windows Media Centre.

I watch recorded TV on my PC.

I would like to connect my PC (as a media server) to a TV. I would like to watch recorded TV from my PC on my TV, also play music from my server (and maybe use the receiving TV as an input for an amp/speakers).

The TV can be located within range of the PC for the WMedia remote to still work. Or I gather I use an “Extender” like Xbox 360 with its own native OS and remote.

So what kit do I need? A networked TV? An Extender? A wifi networked receiver for a dumb TV? Where do I start?

Cheers guys.

jam-bo

Slingbox?

inigomontoya
    Free Member

my sony tv is wifi ready but i use the ps3 to stream media, i know the tv can handle lovefilm streaming so could be capable of playing your video files.

Stoner
    Free Member

slingbox is really for PC to PC. Im looking for PC to TV

Stoner
    Free Member

Can your sony connect to your PC DD?
    EDIT just had a look online and it seems sony internet tv is an internet served service, not a media centre function.

Maybe I just need to get a s/h xbox?

Tiger6791

I do this with my Sony TV, it works but it’s interface isn’t the greatest.

vinnyeh
    inigomontoya
    Free Member

sony can see the pc and access music and photos but doesn’t seem to handle avi files well. will have a play this evening and let you know. the original xbox modded to run xbmc worked great as a media centre.

Stoner
    Free Member

since my recorded tv is in *.wtv file format I think Im a bit limited to the hardware. The power of WMC is as a media server which I want to retain rather than just serve avi/mp3 files.

Xbox still looking most likely. s/h prices seem ok.

DD you got a link to that mod for the original xbox WMC?

daveh
    Free Member

Just an hdmi cable? If your pc is nearby and you can control it ok, why would you need anything more than a audio/video hook up?

gravitysucks
    Free Member

I take it your wanting to play media on a 2nd tv not the usual one you use. How far away is the 2nd tv?

Stoner
    Free Member

The TV would be on the floor below the server cabinet (the server is on a mezzanine office floor)

Id be sitting within WMCRemote range of the computer (underneath it). The TV would be a few feet vertically below the WiFi router.

Under here (PC in the cupboard in the middle) TV would be directly underneath it.

How long an HDMI cable can one use before it degrades?>

Stoner
    Free Member

daveh – you may be on to something. I could probably just use an HDMI to HDMI wireless system even if I couldnt use a cable. As I say, I can control the PC if Im close enough…

gravitysucks
    Free Member

For full access and ease of use a hdmi cable will work fine. Drop a remote receiver with the hdmi and stick it to the rear of the tv. USB extender if the cables not long enough on the receiver

gonefishin
    Free Member

In all likelihood you will need an audio cable too as most computer video cards don’t output audio (at least that is the case with mine). Personally I’d avoid using wireless anywhere in that sort of setup. I tried streaming stuff from my server to my Xbox any video was rubbish as it kept having to buffer data. To be fair though the xbox didn’t have an N wifi receiver so that may work better.

Stoner
    Free Member

the remote receiver has a good range already, but as you say an USB extension cable into the floor box in the ceiling above the sofa downstairs would be perfect!

Think I need to look at transmitter/receiver kits.

Is there such a thing as HDMI to RCA adaptor?

gravitysucks
    Free Member

thinking about why does the media remotes even use IR and receivers? modern keyboards & mice use freq with a good range and don’t need line of sight. You think with the the abudance of media centre stuff these days they’d be a appropriate remote……
    #waits for someone to send me a link to just the thing#

Waderider
    Free Member

I did this easily* with mythtv, so I have one computer acting as a hard drive recorder serving up media to two televisions and one laptop.

*Caveats are I spent a year teaching myself the intricacies of linux first, and each frontend needs a PC.

However I got the PC’s as hand me downs for free, unable to cope with modern Windows but more than powerful enough to stream television to. Total cost £0 as I already had the server PC and TV card. Wireless N can stream to three frontends at once in standard def, never tried HD etc.

Unlikely this will appeal to you as a bit geeky, just posting so you know there is a second, open source way.

Mythtv can be set up to work with a remote or a wireless keyboard – to be honest it is so powerful you need a keyboard.

jamiep
    Free Member

rather than windows media centre, have a look at xbox media centre (xbmc). Much slicker

Cougar

If you already have an Xbox, have a look at TVsersity. (It’s what I use). It’ll pretend to be a media centre as far as the Xbox is concerned, and will transcode non-MS-friendly media on the fly.

The 360 should also see your existing Media Center directly, of course.

If you haven’t got a 360, there’s probably better purchases to act as a media header.

Cougar

How long an HDMI cable can one use before it degrades?

It starts getting sticky at about 50 feet, IIRC.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers guys.

Im going to see what kind of HDMI I can get out of my nVidia, whether it includes sound, and if not whether there’s an adaptor that can combine video HDMI with phono sound into HDMI combined. Then either run a cable downstairs or get an HDMI wireless transmitter/receiver to get the signal to the TV. Media centre can continue to be controlled using the existing remote and USB remote receiver.

Failing that, I could try convincing the mrs that I REALLY do need an Xbox 😮

Stoner
    Free Member

If you haven’t got a 360, there’s probably better purchases to act as a media header

damned if I can find them….

Stoner
    Free Member

waderider – my neighbour is big into myth TV and has cat5’d his house, running mythtv around the place.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Windows Media Centre, a server, a TV…put them all together?’ is closed to new replies.