Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Windows Facebook app vs website
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Which do you like?

Yak

App. No adverts.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

THe app takes control of your phone and listens in to conversations using your microphone. It probably spies on you with the camera aswell. A mate of mine was trying to patent a phone case that had shutters over the mic/camera ports that would close when the phone wasn’t in use; hence rendering facebook’s spying potential useless.

molgrips
    Free Member

Source, david?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Probably find it on snopes.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Source, david?

It does happen. A mate kept telling me that her facebook would be advertising things she’d been talking about like the day before. She mentioned it loads of times and then I found a link that proved she was correct. I posted it on her facebook……

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve heard about that with audio.

ulysse
    Free Member

Facebook.
    Id rather stick angry wasps up my arse.

molgrips
    Free Member

Facebook is better than wasps up the arse. But thanks for that gem.

ulysse
    Free Member

The gift is all in the giving 😀

Yak

I might be missing something here, but it seems that fancy snooping stuff is pointless as the app has no adverts.

Otherwise it could be quite good. I say things like ‘fancy ti 29er frame for tuppence’ a few times on the phone and then a bargain would appear on facebook.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Facebook app “listening in on you” is largely BS. http://www.snopes.com/computer/facebook/facebooklisten.asp

Not to mention it almost certainly doesn’t work on Windows as tends to lag well behind on features.

As for the Windows app. Desktop or Phone? I’d assume desktop as we all know no one uses Windows Phone… except me 😉

Phone app though, there are two of them. One is made my Microsoft and is roughly useable and does the job but lacks newer features like reactions (like anyone would care). The other is made by Facebook and seems to be a horrible conversion from iOS or something using a porting library and is unusable. Slow, buggy, crashes all the time. Useless. Most apps that aren’t native tend to be like this sadly.

Desktop though, and Facebook have a reasonably nice UWP app. It even has live video support (web site won’t give you that). There are the odd few things you can’t easily do via any app that the web site will do though. The desktop app is more usable for tablets.

Adding, if you are forced to use Facebook that is. Family and bike buddies does still tie me to it a bit.

molgrips
    Free Member

As for the Windows app. Desktop or Phone? I’d assume desktop as we all know no one uses Windows Phone… except me

I meant Windows desktop. My wife uses WP though and I would still be using it if they’d had any decent ones in the shop when I was forced to upgrade. Really wanted WP10.

I might be missing something here, but it seems that fancy snooping stuff is pointless as the app has no adverts.

FB probably profile you and tell other advertisers about you, rather than simply advertise yourself. And whilst I don’t get ‘ads’ in the app, I do get ‘sponsored posts’ which are ads. And if I were clicking ‘like’ all over the place on corporate pages, I’d see their posts, which are really adverts.

Yak

Ah, I am using the windows phone app. V basic and seemingly not much in the way of sponsored posts. By comparison, the website has loads of them. Happy to not have reactions and other functionality to avoid lots of sponsored posts.

twisty

I uninstalled the official android Facebook app when the install ballooned to over 100MB. There are 3rd party ‘lite’ versions available, e.g. puffin.

andytherocketeer

Android apps got removed from my old phone PDQ. Never even got installed on the new phone (that’s now exactly 2 yrs old).

On Desktop, run the standard plugins that make ads go away (the ones that they don’t really like you talking about here), but also run the FB Purity plugin. That also makes the sponsored post nonsense go away too, as well as being very configurable so you can make other stupid bits disappear too. In Chrome browser, pay attention though and make sure you get the official plugin, since the original got a takedown from Google Play and was then hijacked, so there’s a replacement (although I got mine direct from the website).

And I run it incognito, but I doubt that does much for privacy and tracking.

Cougar

I uninstalled the official android Facebook app

The Facebook app killed my Nexus 7. Granted it was on its knees after the infamous OS upgrade, but still.

Didn’t know (or care) that there was a Windows app, not sure as I see the point.

I’d be very nervous of 3rd party apps given the amount of permissions the official one “requires.”

deadkenny
    Free Member

When I used to have Android, FB app was number one battery and data killer. Uninstalled.

The FB app Microsoft did for Windows Phone however was lightweight, barely used any more data than it needed, and would sync contacts.

On a phone it’s easier to use than the web site. Though less can be said of FB’s own official app.

Desktop as I mentioned before, the FB app makes sense on a tablet with touch. Just makes it a little easier. Plus it does have the bonus of live video (oddly the phone apps on Windows lacks it even the “new” one). Not that I’ve had a need to live stream anything I do. Doesn’t have the 360 thing. That does seem like a nice feature, though I wouldn’t want that limited to a FB audience.

molgrips
    Free Member

FB app is fine on my samsung. Battery easily lasts at least 24 hrs ans much more if I dont move around a lot.

ulysse
    Free Member

I scoff in superior smugness at your measly 24 hours, with my mighty 4.5mha batteries rugged phone

mattyfez

Newer versions of Android allow you to nuke app permissions accordingly.

However if you wand to take pictures and upload direcly in facebook app, make voip calls in fb messenger etc, then it needs these permissions.

I don’t fint it particularly bad on battery, although my phone will bug me on occasion and let me know if apps are running and im not using them.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Windows Facebook app vs website’ is closed to new replies.