Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • windows 8 help needed – i don't get it?
  • Zedsdead
    Free Member

The first thing I’m trying to do is get my email (virgin isp) but I keep going in circles.

When I go to email it keeps telling me I must sign up to a microsoft email which I don’t want.

I can’t see any other options?

I was using windows mail on vista before but when I search help I get nothing.

So far I really don’t like windows 8…..

🙁

scaredypants

is your virgin email a webmail version ?

if so, access via explorer/ffox/chrome/whatevvah

if not, maybe you need an email “app” other than the standard windows thing (I’m surprised they can force you to use a MS address though, they’ve been in trouble for that sort of thing before)

what happens if you type your virgin email address in the sign-in box ?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I tried to just use my virgin email but no joy. I have pop3 settings whatever that is?

Sorry, I’m a complete idiot at this kind of thing…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Greybeard
    Free Member

I suspect that if you get away from Microsoft’s email program you won’t have that problem – try downloading Mozilla Thunderbird (I know that works on Win8 because my 88 year old mother uses it) and you can put your POP3 settings into it

If you find the look and feel of Win 8 too much, install ‘classic shell’ which makes it more like previous versions of Windows.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Thanks,

I’ve just managed to get my email via the internet. I’m glad that works but I liked having a seperate email program.

I’m going to have a look at Thunderbird, that looks like the kind of thing I’m after.

I suspect I may also be looking for classic shell too.

I guess I really am a dinosaur haha!

molgrips
    Free Member

There’ll be instructions from Yahoo on how to get your Yahoo email from a separate email program. Google for it (hah, irony 🙂 )

stumpyjon

I went through all that pain, the bundled email program doesn’t support pop3 accounts. I also didn’t like being coerced into setting up an outlook.com email.

molgrips
    Free Member

Are you talkng abotu setting up a live.com account?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

okay, Thunderbird seems pretty good, that’s just the type of thing I was after, thanks.

I didn’t want a live account, I don’t want another email account at all but it really does try to force me into getting one.

Nothing seems very easy or logical just now with windows 8, maybe it’s just me?

Here’s another issue I have found. I have hotkeys (I think that’s the term?) for volume and brightness among others.
    I’m used to using ‘ctrl’, ‘fn’, ‘f2’ for lowering the brightness but it does nothing? These seem to be turned off and I can’t find anything helpfull at all. It’s an hp laptop if that’s of any significance?

I hope in time I’ll learn how this works and like it but right now I’d like the good old ‘classic view’

*grumble grumble*

hels
    Free Member

Another Classic Shell fan here !

Just use webmail, much less hassle – unless you are Ed Snowden of course.

molgrips
    Free Member

Fn keys should work, but try not pressing ctrl..? There should be aicon in the relevant f key.

Cougar

It’s usually Fn-something. Fn-up and Fn-down arrows on my Dell, I think off the top of my head the work Lenovo is Fn-Page Up and Fn-Page Down.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

With Windows, its usually F**n-something, yes!

Have you checked in Control Panel for the setting?

Flaperon

The Windows 8 mail app will let you get your Virgin Media emails, just not over the antiquated POP3 protocol. Just set it up to use IMAP instead.

It definitely – DEFINITELY – does not force you to sign up for an Outlook account. Windows 8.1 might ask you to set up a Live account when you first set up the computer, but that’s an entirely different kettle of fish and unrelated to email.

Cougar

I think off the top of my head the work Lenovo is Fn-Page Up and Fn-Page Down.

Fn-Home and Fn-End, just checked.

TBH though, the little blue icons on the keyboard should tell you.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Greybeard, massive thanks for the nod on Classic Shell!

I tried, I really tried to get to grips with 8.1 but in the end I just could not get on with it. It’s pretty crap. It might be okay on a tablet with touch screen but it’s definitely not for me.

I installed classic shell and straight away it’s waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better!

Many thanks for your help eveyone

🙂

craigxxl
    Free Member

Windows 8 wants you to have a unified account like Apples iCloud. When you are setting up your email account in the Windows Email app it automatically pushes you in that direction. It gives you the option in a link to not do this but states not recommended. Ignore the warning and all you’ll need to do is enter your email address and password and it will find the settings automatically.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Hotkeys on mine work without pressing Fn, so you need Fn+ to get the ‘old’ F1 to F12 (i.e. the default is the opposite to what it used to be).

F11 and F12 do brightness on my lenovo.

+1 for Thunderbird – just ignore or delete the mail ‘app’ from the tiles screen and go via the desktop (or pin Thunderbird to the tile screen if you prefer)

rickmeister

I hate my windows phone too… If I wasn’t a gift I would sell it or throw it away.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘windows 8 help needed – i don't get it?’ is closed to new replies.